• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stoeger vs Benelli

I have seen more than a couple of Stoeger shotguns that have proved themselves to be a POS!

I am not one of those that only shoot high dollar guns. I have 4 500's in my collection.

I will NEVER buy a Stoeger anything. Just the opinion of someone that spends a lot of time around shotguns.

I'm happy with my Stoeger coach gun for what it is, and knew going into it they were rough around the edges. That Stoeger above just uses the patented Benelli inertial driven design, everything else about them is different, including level of quality.

The comparison guns would be the M2s. Benelli M2s 3 gun MSRP is $2400 and the M2 field without the 3 gun extras is $1400.

I know a couple guys who shoot Stoegers and have been very happy with them. The one hunts regularly the other shoots when he's able.

I don't have a conclusion I'm trying to reach, and honestly, if I could afford the Benneli M2 field I'd go that route.

For the price, the JM Pro is on the radar too of course. But the 930... those have a sordid history as well and haven't enjoyed fame any more than infamy.

The 930 Tactical models, yes, the field models from my research are great. Mine has been damn near flawless, one FTE in about 400 rounds in stock form. For the money, I don't think you can beat the 930 field models, trust me, I looked at everything. Closest competitor was the Beretta A300.

I don't do wood furniture though. If I were to get a 930 it would be a JM Pro. Those are retailing right around $600 right now.

I've heard OFM plans to introduce a proprietary choke for the JM series guns. I have no idea why and it makes no sense that I can tell. It almost makes me angry. That makes no sense either but it makes me actually prefer Benelli. Though Benelli has a couple different chokes too. So maybe I'll get over it.

I have seen more than a couple of Stoeger shotguns that have proved themselves to be a POS!

I am not one of those that only shoot high dollar guns. I have 4 500's in my collection.

I will NEVER buy a Stoeger anything. Just the opinion of someone that spends a lot of time around shotguns.
=========================

Care to elaborate LTB45...!?

Specifically...what could have possibly gone wrong with a Stoeger shotgun for you to make such a statement...?!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply...

=========================

Care to elaborate LTB45...!?

Specifically...what could have possibly gone wrong with a Stoeger shotgun for you to make such a statement...?!

Thanks in advance...

A friend had one of the Stoeger home defense guns. He used it to shoot quite a bit.
One day he loaded his HD gun in the house. Closed the action and both barrels shot a hole in his wall!
Another friend wanted a hunting gun. He did not listen to my advice! Bought a Stoeger SxS. We took it to the range, every other shot both barrels fired with one pull of the trigger.
He stopped at a gun shop on his way home to sell it. Took a big loss. Bought a 500 the next weekend.
These are just 2 of the most scarey things I have seen personally from Stoegers.

I hope this helps!

The Stoeger uses the inertia drive, but the recoil spring is on the magazine tube and not in the stock. Reviews say they feel grittier, and generally less smooth than Benellis and while the parent company being Beretta owns both, the Stoeger is made in Turkey.

What I'd really like is the M1 field with flip up rear sight, like this one;

This is from arfcom
image.jpg

No experience with Stoeger autoloaders but for what it's worth, my JM Pro has been flawless from the start. My 18" 930 Tactical, not so much. Had to doctor it up a bit to get it running reliably. With the current prices as low as they are it's hard to go wrong with a JM Pro...

That there are some crazy stories LTB45...glad your friends didn't get hurt.

My experience with my Stoeger Uplander has been flawless...took many a bird since 1977 when I bought it under the Stoeger/IGA name....before Beretta came to own them. Even took a deer with it using pumpkin ball loads near Holmesburg Prison (PA) during a special hunt.

While I have never fired any other Stoeger firearm other than mine...I guess Brad can take from these stories what he needs to make a decision on brand.

I can attest to Stoeger workmanship and quality...But the one I own is the side x side double trigger Uplander Model...( apples and oranges )

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/uplander-field-shotgun

Which Benelli are you looking at for this comparison ?!

Same here. I own the same gun. I like it, very much. Not much help in this thread. I will say this, though. I am convinced that Benelli is top shelf, in everything they make. I also know it is very unlikely I will ever own one, myself. Take care. Tom Worthington

Almost forgot. I do have one issue with my UpLander. It hates Remington Slugger rounds. Almost never get a clean shot with them. Everything else runs fine. Take care. Tom Worthington

I need to type a correction.

The photo I posted above that I said is of an M1 field, is actually an M2 field. There isn't a tone of difference between the two and I couldn't describe them at all. The rear flip up sight on that model, if I understand correctly, was cut in to that gun by Briley and is for a 10-22 rear sight.

Back