• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stopping power

Shotguns shine again. http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/printable/node/7866
Interesting research results. See the small print before you knitpick the handgun results-- he states the data for 3 calibers is week and he further gives an opinion that many 9mm shootings are with ball ammo which throws the stats off for what the alibre might do with good HD ammo.

Interesting too are the number of perps who aren`t stopped by one shot of anything and the other good discussion of the difference between phychological stops and physical stops.

Good read...

That's the reason I got the 590 first, for HD...

I also went with a 9mm since it's all about shot placement, and I can practice almost 50% more for the same money vs .45

C8V6C said:
Good read...

That's the reason I got the 590 first, for HD...

I also went with a 9mm since it's all about shot placement, and I can practice almost 50% more for the same money vs .45

Agreed; plus you can fire off more rounds quickly with the 9mm. Accuracy and capacity ... that's the ticket in my home and CCW.

Good read and good find! I know this has been up here for awhile, but until just a few days ago I just didnt have the time to do the catching up!

Very interesting the data between 9 mm and .45 ACP, the results are very close with a slight (very slight) edge to the .45.

Also found the .22 data interesting, less than 2%, lower than the 9 and .45, for average # of shots for incapacitation.

Also of interest of course is the shotgun data. No surprise highest rate of incapacitation and one shot stops, but not as high as I would have guessed.

The conclusion, I agree with above statements, shot placement is key and thats gonna come with practice alone!

Bottom line...

no magic bullet

placement is paramount

practice with your chosen HD weapon & load

Good points...thanks for posting bubba !!

SHOOTER13 said:
Bottom line...

no magic bullet

placement is paramount

practice with your chosen HD weapon & load

Good points...thanks for posting bubba !!

without a doubt Shooter

while I'd love to carry my 1911 all the time sometimes a small light caliber is much easier to deal with and the stopping power of a 380 or even .22lr is much better than 2 fists or a Knife at contact range.

very interesting info thanks for posting

Anyone who hunts knows about shot placement. Most poachers around here are caught with a 22lr or 22 mag. Most accidental human deaths around here are also attributed to .22lr. All the farm kill places here use .22 lr. I have taught my wife to shoot a 10/22 with deadly accuracy and when I am gone it sits by the bed with a 25 round mag in it because that’s what she is comfortable with, At the rate of fire a 10/22 is capable of, I would not want to be on the business end within 100 yards let alone the hallway.

Back