• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stories that my Mom used to tell me -update pg 4 and 5

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
You're probably wondering why I made the title of the topic what I did, and why it's in the workbench build section of the forum. I'll explain that later.

But for right now, I'm going to tell a story to give a little background history on the project.

When I was little, my Mom would sometimes tell me a bedtime story. I remember many of them well. But my all time favorite was Tar Baby. For any of you that has never had the pleasure of reading or hearing about tar baby, there are a lot of morals you could take from the story depending on which one you were thinking about. But I can remember laying under my cover and laughing until my sides hurt of how she would talk while she was reciting the story from heart. I bet she told me about that old tar baby a hunderd times.

OK, fast forward to how that is relevant to the workbench build topic.

Well, nothing really, other than I applied to build what is probably going to be my last firearm suppressor. It's going to be an integral 22lr bolt action. Barrel will be ported, I plan to port it enough to drop standard velocity supersonic bullets down to subsonic speeds so I won't have to worry so much about finding "special" ammo to shoot through it to be quiet.

I tought about a hunderd differnt model names that I could call it, but I have always made off the wall model names on my other'ns, so I wanted this one to really stand out just as much.

I named my first suppressor widow maker. Not because it sounded cool, but because my wife told me that if I didn't stop fooling around like dat, I was going to blow my stupid self up.

Again.

So, in honor of her, I named it widow maker.

My last suppressor, it was named naked mongoose. Why says you? Well, because I can all but gar'ntee there ain't anothern no wheres else quite like it. Do you know of anothern?

And this one, since it's going to be made to look like a standard bull barreled 22 rifle to blend in without attracting attention that it's a suppressed gun, will be camouflaged to match the stock so it looks pretty much factory, this uns' gonna be called "Brer Rabbit". Just because I can. I tought about callin' it the Chameleon because they kinda blend in wherever they at, but while I wanted the gun itself to blend in, I wanted the model name to kinda stand out a little more so what better way than to name it after something that could outsmart a fox, a bear? And despite doing a bunch of stupid things his self leading up to it.

Just the opening paragraph about the story in Wikipedia would probably speak volumes of the way that real life goes sometimes.

The Tar-Baby is the second of the Uncle Remus stories published in 1880; it is about a doll made of tar and turpentine used by the villainous Br'er Fox to entrap Br'er Rabbit. The more that Br'er Rabbit fights the Tar-Baby, the more entangled he becomes.

Well, this is mostly how I am now that I've made a bunch of silencers. I've definitely become entangled ha ha.

Of course, the government is probably going to take 6-8 months to decide to mail me the tax stamp form back to me so it'll be a little bit before I can do anything but draw pitchers of what I want to do, but I wanted to start a topic anyway. Could be fun in the meantime.

Here's the little Lakefield 22 bolt action as it sits now. In a few months, will look and sound a bit differnt.

9eqL1s0.png

You guys probably know, but the Lakefield is the precursor to the Savage Mk2.

The barrel will be shortened to around 12.5 inches, then a monocore stack will be pinned and welded an hidden underneath of the barrel sleeve to avoid having to get 2 stamps, and by the time that all is said and done, will be about an inch and a half longer than it is now and will look like a camo'd bull barrel instead of this 'un.

I'll have to open up the channel in the stock where the barrel rests now too, so I'm working on a way to figure out how to do dat without marrin' it up too bad.

I got my inspiration for the design after a conversation I had with Doc Dater years ago. It should be a good one. Loosely based somewhat from his R10 7722 suppressor, but obviously different.

And similar to the gemtech mist too, but not exactly obviously because I don't want to copy anything with a patent or infringe on someone elses intellectual property. Mine will be quite a bit different overall.

2:34...lol
said brer fox..said brer fox..said brer fox..said brer fox..said brer fox..

Yeah, dont'cha just love a skipping record LOL

Tell me that doesn't take you back a few years and the first thing that popped into your mind when it happened was to bump the arm.

Ain't no way I'd rather be. What'cha see is what'cha get.

Much to the despair of my better half sometimes.

Well, the paperwork has been mailed off and I'm sure they've already cashed the money order in Atlanta at the licensing center by now.

No big surprise but cashing the check is the only step during the whole process that they get in a hurry about doing.

Being another rainy evening where I can't find much else to do, and since I can't work on the best part of it, I can work on opening up the mouth of the stock and inletting it so it'll accommodate the larger barrel sleeve later.

I found a short scrap piece of pipe near the same diameter that I plan to use and wrapped it with 80 grit paper and opened up the channel of the stock considerably. I'll still have to do more sanding later and final fit it by hand when I finish everything else, but I just saved myself about an hour of work later on.

gxSJmuH.jpg

kgjNH98.jpg

X7xIybE.jpg

I took the liberty of making a better (longer) scope rail. The one that I had on it earlier was about 3 slots shorter from front to back. While it worked well for a little red dot, I thought it was too short to mount a scope, which I plan to do eventually.

I knew that I would have to refinish the rail after I milled a notch for the ejection port anyway and I decided that the camo pattern on the receiver just looked too "off" in color compared to the other parts, so I refinished the receiver again too while I was at it.

I really wish the background color was a little more greenish hue rather than tannish so it would match the stock better, but there's really nothing I can do about that. That's as close to color and pattern as I can match to whatever Savage used to dip the stock with originally. And with the stock being a Pre-E series, I have no idea when it was made/dipped in the first place. Been a long time ago for sure. The slight color difference won't matter any in the woods. Just that I like everything to be as close as I can get.

Anyway, the receiver and scope rail looks more like it should now. The camo that was on it before was rather light. Which I take blame for from rinsing too fast or with water that was too hot which removed more of the ink pattern than it should've right after dipping. This time around, I lowered the rinse pressure and a cooler temp for the parts I'm dipping now and it turned out a lot better.

4VpLARP.jpg

RPdOSr7.jpg

I color filled the safety dot markings before clear coating so I don't have to guess

4qZbnT0.jpg

4gR6K62.jpg

Since I had some extra matte clear cerakote in the airbrush, I went ahead and went over the entire stock too. It had stood up pretty decent in the time that I've used it, but don't see how having an extra coat of clear over everything to try to keep the scuffs at bay would hurt anything.

GzsBDXN.jpg

iFnzVuX.jpg

And if you look closely at the metal plate around the magwell, you can see the difference in the color/tint between the two patterns. It doesn't show up as much on the camera but is more noticeable in person.

YINZlXY.jpg

You can see the difference a little more clearly here

dthnyUN.jpg

RiFG6uH.jpg

]
Oh well. That's as close as I can get it to match.

I didn't read through this very carefully the first time around but just sort of glossed it over, and now that I have read it all I am much more impressed

I've been trying to figure out what kind of a .22 magnum rifle I would like to buy, and now the answer is coming up "custom". I think that would be a very viable project.

Either a CZ or a Savage are among the best "commercial" bolt actions out there in my opinion.

That's why I started with this old pre-Savage Lakefield. The gun is 50 years old this year and still going strong.

I have a newer savage FVSR series that is similar and at 25 yards, is not uncommon to have a big fat hole in the center of the bullseye. It's amazing how accurate that gun is.

This project has been on the back burner for several years. I thought about doing an integral 22 suppressor back in 2014 I guess, but didn't want to do a stamp for a can that I could only use on a single host gun.

Well, now I've changed my mind and want to see just how quiet I can make one be and to have one that nearly looks basically like a bull barreled factory rifle. And thus the references to the Brer animals who are always trying to trick everyone.

I hope when I have this one done, anyone at a glance would never know that it's a suppressed rifle.

51TVRJAWlcL._SY409_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back