• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stories that my Mom used to tell me -update pg 4 and 5

I didn't read through this very carefully the first time around but just sort of glossed it over, and now that I have read it all I am much more impressed

I've been trying to figure out what kind of a .22 magnum rifle I would like to buy, and now the answer is coming up "custom". I think that would be a very viable project.

I would second the FVSR its one of my most fav clean and accurate.
If I may id also submit the Steyr Scout, it has earned the name McDreamy after a brain surgeon on the wife favorite tv show. Ive owned a year now and its a goto rifle for me sporting night vision, soon to also be threaded. Straight pull is sweetness is all I can say. Stock is ultra comfy. And Mcdreamy is a proven killer in the field. So for something ya wont see on every firing line the Steyr is nice. 20180717_145832.jpg 20180717_145850.jpg

Yeah, you really need to thread that barrel and put a can on it. Then you could literally set out on your porch at night and taunt and dare the raccoons and possums to get anywhere near your trash cans.

There was a possum that got in the fence in the backyard with my dog a little while back. With all the commotion and racket that was going on, it sounded like a pay per view cage match at 4 o clock in the morning.

Yep, the canned savage came out of the closet and I staggered outside not knowing what I was going to meet eye to eye and put the TKO on it with one to the head and it was dead.

@johnA it was a lil errrr moment at the Steyr show I knew i wanted the 22wmr but it had none ? Yet same rifle in 22lr or 17hmr comes threaded ??? Those crazy krauts

I don't know what all guns don't come threaded. Even 2" snub nose revolvers :lol:

Oh yeah.

Cannons.

Blunderbusses.

Lasers.

Potato guns.

Staple guns.

Heat guns.

soldering guns.

glue guns.

Color me green with Steyr envy.
Make ya a great deal(for me) get on Steyr site by a Zephyr ll in 22 mag and il trade you the Scout !! ☺ lets do it. Not that i dont love the scout and the straight pull bolt BUt dang i really like a pretty wood gun ☺

I ordered a few rods of HST 2000 aluminum weld today so I'll have them in the shop for when I get my paperwork back and it comes time to pin and weld the monocore stack to the barrel. Though I can think of a lot of other uses for them.

Pretty neat stuff if you haven't seen it. Kind of a cross between brazing and tig welding.

Skip to 5:30 in the video below to see how easy it is to do. Reminds me of my old high school shop class days.

Looked at NFA tracker and it appears that average wait times has fallen since my last suppressor, which was over a year wait. :thumbsdown:

If I'm reading the chart right, looks like individual sending a paper form is around 120 days from when they receive the paperwork and cash the check.

While that isn't exactly great, at least that is a little better. With any luck, I'll get to make it before winter sets in.

I got the aluminum weld today. That's another step out of the way now.

Just out of curiosity, once you have gone through the suppressor process does it get quicker the next time ?

No.

I have been through the fbi background check no less than a dozen times. This stemming from once when I was a Deputy at our county jail, once when I was hired as a maintenance worker in a school, three times when I was getting and renewing my FFL's, and no less than 8 times for various NFA stamps.

My NFA stamp wait times have ranged from 7 weeks to more than a year and it was entirely dependent on how many applications were being submitted at the time and their backlog.

There were very few people applying back during the early 2000's, so those wait times were within 2 months door to door.

Now more people know they can make or buy things, so there are more applications to make things.

I hope not to repeat my last tax stamp which was about a year + a couple of weeks from the time I submitted the form until I got the form back approved.

That is entirely unacceptable by any standard.

Damn John, you've spent a lot of time waiting for the government approval. I wonder if it's like so many government agencies that have 4 folks watching one actually work.

It's ironic that I can go 5 years between renewing my drivers license, and then just walk in and get a new one. Yet to purchase two firearms at two different stores within 15 minutes of one another I need two separate background checks.

Yeah, it's not funny how our rights have eroded.

Though in fairness, I'm not really against background checks. Nor am I against not allowing violent criminals access to them.

But there are a lot of people out there that don't think anyone except the government should own them. I do have a lot of problems with that.

Had some free time this evening, so I shortened the barrel to the length I wanted, threaded and recrowned it. Surprising that 10.3 ounces of barrel weight was removed.

I don't expect that I'll be adding that much weight back to it overall when I am finished, including the 17-1/2 inch barrel/suppressor sleeve that will cover everything from the receiver forward to the exit end of the baffle stack.

That's a few more steps out of the way as I twiddle my thumbs and whistle Dixie.

I did six passes with a single point thread cutter so I could verify that everything is as straight as possible.

I did the final pass with a hand die just to make sure there weren't any trouble spots.

44oux8i.jpg

I opted to true the face of the muzzle and give it a very deep recessed crown. Since it will be hidden forever-ever-after once I pin the monocore baffle onto the barrel to bring it over legal length, I wanted to take a couple of pictures in the meantime just to document the work going into it.

kvj63v4.jpg

And the photos below shows the groove in the middle of the threads where it will be pinned and welded to satisfy ATF protocol concerning OAL. You really have no idea how much it irked my soul to have to do that to a barrel, but it is what it is. I could complain about it for the next week, but I sleep better at night when I know that what I touch is done to the letter of the law. Once everything is finished and it's pinned and welded, the parts would be destroyed before they could be separated.

I will be using a 3mm tapered steel pin through both of the parts prior to welding over.

AjQzU4z.jpg

The pin won't just be seated into the groove. It will pass through and through the widest outside diameter of both parts.

Ye8NDXD.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

I want them to be done right. Someday they'll be my legacy I guess, from a lack of better term. Hopefully something that the boys and the grandkids can appreciate.

Wow!

I haven't cut threads on a lathe since 1974.

My buddy just bought a nice old 12" Southbend gap-bed lathe from a tool shop. It's still really tight and solid and he got some nice tooling with it too.

I'm waiting for him to get it leveled up and wired, so I can show him how to use it. ;)

How old is your lathe John?
This lathe was built for World War II.
I just realized I don't have a photo of the whole thing. Just these bits.

"This machine conforms to orders of the war production board."
20180730_103917_resized.jpg
"Do not move this gear while lathe is running."

20171217_154324_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back