• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stories that my Mom used to tell me -update pg 4 and 5

Out of curiousity, I called the NFA branch to request a status update since it's been 3 months today since I mailed them. She said the forms have been processed, and the Pending date in the computer is July 9. Then told me to expect up to 6 months from that date to hear back from them.

I have been reading on nfatracker where some people with individual form 1's are being approved within 4 months which would be a nice change from the year+ that I waited for my last one. But I'm not going to pretend that trend is going to continue or improve when they get to mine but I am going to keep my fingers crossed that it does.

The important thing is, my serial number is showing in the computer and everything is good to go at this point. Just waiting on them to dig down into the pile to get my papers out and sign them and mail them back.

No real update today. Just thinking out loud and wanted to share my thoughts.

I had some rare down time today and I was looking at the numbers on paper, and I do not think that a clam shell is going to work, although would have been my preferred way of doing it. After looking at the sketch, the inside and outside edge of the baffle stack will be too thin where they meet. Especially on the front portion, and that's the area that will tension the front cap and the outer tube in place and will have the bulk of the stress on it, and I believe that if I used a clamshell would weaken the structural integrity too much.

So, I think I have came up with an alternative. I believe that I'm going to use a couple of rubber O rings to seal off the majority of the inside of the tube and will be using anti-spatter weld gel to prevent the majority of any fouling and ionized lead from sticking to the baffles and the inside of the tube. That's about the best thing that I have came up with short of a major redesign (not wanting to do that).

Small update today. My forms have been delayed to make corrections on my paperwork.

The thing is, there are no corrections to make. Whoever they have at NFA branch examining these forms is retarded. I'll be calling them Monday to ask them what they want me to do.

He8CNqs.jpg

1. It's a form 1 silencer. It is not made from a pre-existing receiver. Nor even an 80% paperweight, which coincidentally is also NOT a firearm in the first place anyway.

But the paperwork says SILENCER right there on the form.
**b. Since I am the original manufacturer, that's why my name is listed as the original manufacturer, well, because I will be the maker.

Paste from the Instructions on the back of the forms:
j. Description of Firearm and Markings.
Item 4a.
If you are modifying an existing firearm, enter the name and location of the original manufacturer.

If you are creating the firearm, enter the maker’s name, city and state.
--------------------

No correction necessary.
--------------------

2. While I could provide them with a sketch or description, I have never done that before on any of my other ones. So, I will be asking where providing a sketch and description is required to be submitted with the forms.

If I absolutely have to provide a description:

A silencer does not silence the sound of a weapon firing. It merely muffles the sound a little

Goes on the end of a barrel.

Starts as a piece of pipe and a piece of rod. \

When finished, will have a front cap, rear cap and a tube to contain and allow the expanding gasses to expand, cool, and become more quiet before exiting into the atmosphere.
-------------------------

3. I wrote the serial number and model exactly as I was going to have it engraved. That's kinda why I wrote and spelled it exactly the way I did on the forms in multiple places.

Again, no corrections are necessary.

New employ fresh out of school still not sure about which direction to wipe they keister, much less what a suppressor is vs an sbr

Called a few times earlier. Unable to reach examiner assistant. They are not answering their line all morning. Left message, no callback.

Waited more than half the day, still no call back.

I called them back and they put me through to the examiner assistant supervisor who looked up the control number and looked at the form and kind of stumped him and assured me that examiner assistant would be calling me back TODAY -emphasis added by him.

Will let you guys know how that turns out.

Probably shouldn't surprise anyone, but still no call back.

Will be calling back tomorrow asking to speak to supervisors supervisor and will be working my way on up the chain. It would take them all of 2 minutes to remedy this.

I must've really pissed someone off.

Examiner Assistant called me a few minutes ago, and apologized for not calling me back sooner and wasn't her intention to ignore calls. Said she is on vacation this week and just happened to sign in for a few hours.

That's probably the last response that I expected to hear and if that was the case, her supervisor should've directed my call to whoever was taking her calls while she was on vacation yesterday and this could've all be avoided, but anyway, after I explained to her that I can't input pre-existing data into line 4a because there is no such thing as a pre-existing silencer receiver, she said she only wanted a sketch of it then.

I told her that I didn't draw good.

She said it doesn't have to be drawn well. Just that I need to write a measurement down that matched the overall length that I have listed on the form and draw a sketch.

So, I drew a long rectangle and wrote 17 1/2" above it. I really don't know what else to do to sketch a piece of tube.

Mailed back certified mail so I have proof that it was returned to them within the required window.

She said once she gets the sketch, she'll hand it off to the examiner who will then be working it.

brer rabbit sketch.jpg

Yeah, this delay is going to add at least a month onto my wait time, when there should have been no delay in the first place. And I've been waiting since June already.

The form was filled out correctly.

It was dated 11/9 on their end. And I didn't get it in the mail until last Saturday and it's taken 4 days from then just to speak to her for her to tell me she is requiring me to send something that the NFA branch does not require. It's not on the forms or even in the instructions to provide a sketch with the application. Then, the mail going back smack dab in the middle of a bunch of national holidays.

I'm seriously not happy. But what can I do?

Plus it cost me another $6.90 to mail it back to them certified mail so they can't say that they didn't get my response back in time and cancel my form and refund it. (I only have 30 days to respond from the day they marked on their end).

Who knows how long it will sit unopened in the envelope on someones desk after the mail delivers it? Tracking expects it will be delivered Friday, but again, if there are vacations and stuff going on, who knows.

Your item was delivered to an individual at the address at 12:32 pm on November 23, 2018

I'm going to start the clock again and see how long it takes to get a signature and my stamp from today.

The examiner assistant said as soon as it hits her desk and she verifies that the information she required was returned, that she would forward it to the examiner who will be handling it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the examiner doesn't want me to correct the "errors" that the examiner assistant required me to make.

Or is upset that I didn't use her favorite color crayon to draw the picture with. :crazy:

APPROVED

Here's some pictures of it.

I've spent the last several days finishing the project now . Sorry, don't have any video of how it sounds yet, but it has surpassed my expectations by firing it out the back door into the yard. Not much more than firing pin noise and the bullet hitting the dirt.

Alright, now for some pictures of the completed project.

Rear cap is made long and hollowed out in front in case I ever port the barrel to act as a deflector so jetted gas and lead doesn't score the inner suppressor tube.

ZSOKpmy.jpg

A few thick O rings to help seal the tube once it's in place

FKWdRbc.jpg

The monocore is pinned and tig welded to eliminate the need to double stamp the gun.
Here it is once I filed the excess down.

PTyRog2.jpg

The suppressor tube has no threading on it. It tensions back in place over the rear endcap when you tighten the front cap down into the monocore. I made the front of the monocore a female thread (1/2-28 to make my life easy) and essentially made the front endcap like a hollow bolt with a bore through it of course.

The main reason why I did that was I didn't want to use up too much space on my monocore doing a male thread on the end of the stack. By going with a female thread, allowed me to use all the space that I had to work with and gave me one more baffle than I would've had the other way.

Not shown is the .002" shim stock that will wrap around the monocore to keep the suppressor tube from seizing up when it's really fouled up. It will wrap around the core and fit between the two O rings.

HW1SKG9.jpg

bjcCH33.jpg

CK63uBY.jpg

I was afraid it would be far too cold to do the water immersion graphic dip and clearcoat on the suppressor body and endcaps, but it warmed up just enough to get it done late this evening.

3Kx3c3F.jpg

nu4IbEy.jpg

JDVpHGN.jpg

I wish that I had drawn in it red crayon just to be honest. There is no requirement to do that. I think the examiner assistant knew she screwed up when I called asking them what they wanted me to do, when I was clearly correct in the first place, so that was her way out of it.

Anyway, I hope to be able to take it out and zero the scope and get a few shots on video for anyone who wants to see/hear it later today as long as the weather holds out so I'm not shooting in sleet/snow mix.

Back