• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stripped threads on new Mossberg

Gonzales

Copper BB
Just picked up a 50588, PGO. I was going to swap out the pistol grip with a bird heads grip.

The bolt took a lot of force to remove. When I checked the threads on the receiver, they were all messed up. It gently tried screwing in the bolt by hand. It threads in at a nasty angle. Obviously crossthreaded at the factory.

Any ideas what I should do?

I called them. They sent me a prepaid shipping label!
They even said that it was ok to just send them the receiver!
That makes it so much easier to box up and ship.

Just need to include a letter stating what I found, and what I would like done. I'll go for a replacement or have them install a heli-coil.

Good thing I did not try shooting it! If that grip came off... Outch!

Sorry to hear about your problem. Glad to hear Mossberg is taking care of it.

Keep us posted.

I'll go for a replacement or have them install a heli-coil.

If it is a legitimate crossthread and farkup on their part AND the gun was bought new by you, I would request a new receiver. A heli-coil will work in a pinch but may back out and cause issues down the road... I don't recall there being a lot of meat where the stock screws in so I wonder about the feasibility of a thread repair vs receiver replacement. Probably installed at the factory with an impact wrench and they just drove that sucker home...

BTW, Welcome Aboard Gonzy, and good luck with the repair.

Totally brand new. It's sad to have to ship in a new firearm. And then, not knowing how they will handle it. When I called, they said I only had to send in the receiver, but online it says to send in everything. I just want a good experience. They make these things quickly, otherwise it's hard to make profit.

I love my 590A1. I even found it old school wood furniture, that I refinished. I want this new 500 to be special as well. These are life long purchases for me. I take pride in what I own. These will be passed on to my kids.

Sorry to hear but glad they are attempting to make it right, keep us posted.

Welcome to the Forum from MI!!

Totally brand new. It's sad to have to ship in a new firearm. And then, not knowing how they will handle it. When I called, they said I only had to send in the receiver, but online it says to send in everything...These are life long purchases for me. I take pride in what I own. These will be passed on to my kids.

Unless this is some kind of discontinued model, I would see if they would send you an entirely new gun which of course would mean you have to send the entire defective gun back to them. I forget what the "rules" are for sending a gun/receiving a gun from a mfg--I know with a pistol it has to be tracked and go through an FFL. If they replace the receiver/entire gun, this may require it go through an FFL to keep track of the serial numbers...

Who did you buy it from? Perhaps they could arrange the warranty exchange for you...

Shipped it off yesterday. I'll post updates as they come in.

FedEx only asked if there were any flammable batteries in the box. I guess they won't ship those Samsung phones that are bursting into flames. That's going to make shipping them back for a refund a wee bit hard.

They scanned it in and handed me a receipt, and that was it. Now the wait begins.

Got busy and did not get a chance to update last week. A package arrived with a new receiver! Just about finished putting together my new pistol grip firearm. :). I just need to modify the Magpul forend I picked up. They have to be heavily modified to work with the short action tubes.

Just going to post a quicky tip that most of you probably already know. Ignore it if you do. Mossy's are aluminum in the receiver. Aluminum and steel screws/bolts are a bit diff than other things. Steel screws up aluminum if you're not careful. The easiest way to be sure is to stick the screw into the hole and slowly turn it BACKWARDS til you hear/feel the tiny *tick* as the threads line up. Only when you feel the threads line up do you then go forward. No cross-threading that way.

On the stock, when removing or replacing one, take the trigger group out and all the loose parts, too. The trigger group locks the stock in place and prevents it turning with the lug on the back of the group. With the group out, you can then turn the stock or grip a quarter to a half turn to let off all pressure on the bolt and then it'll remove easily. If you need to, stick a screwdriver or an allen wrench or whatever yours is into the bolt to hold it in place while you turn the stock. When reassembling, have the stock 1/8 turn out of line with its place and then TURN THE STOCK to seat the bolt solid. Prevents stripping. That stock bolt does not have to be gorilla grip, incredible hulk tight. The trigger group lug locks it into place.

On the receiver....head to gunbroker if you need one or if you just want to do your own build. A brand new 500 receiver is $35 plus FFL and all. I've bought them for folks who simply wanted their guns drilled and tapped. Buying an entirely new, already tapped receiver is cheaper than drilling and tapping an old one.

Back