• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stupid arsonists

You're right Oli. Fires aren't necessarily bad.

Many of my ancestors would intentionally burn an area a year prior to planting and working the land. And there were several positive reasons for doing that.

We've had forest fires up to the cabin too, though it's been a long time.

The part that worries me the most about a fire up there now is after the wooly aldegids came in and killed almost 100% of the pine trees. That is now about 20 years ago since they have fallen, but there are still a lot of deadfalls laying that were so big around some are still not rotted away even to this day, and that makes for a lot of fuel for a fire.

the type of forest you live in needs to burn just not as often. Adapted to thousands of years of it

Caddman really reminded me of that when he spoke of the trees being through it many times. They have adapted to a fire environment
A lot of western trees and pants are known as fire adapted.......the Ponderosa Pine is a shining example of a tree designed to survive a wildfire
Black Spruce is so dependent on fire that it can not reproduce without it

in fact those bark beetles , or wooly whatevers, get a foothold in forests that are not allowed to burn......all tree killing bugs thrive in an environment where fire is absent

I make a living off of threatened natural resources, firefighters will be the first people to tell you that fire suppression has made our forests extremely unhealthy
, just like loggers will be the first tell you how clear cuts are bad on many levels

Well I definitely think there should be more controlled burning. I think we lost a lot of houses in California this year because the people did not have the ground around their property cleared.

a cool video on the first solid drought in a while '13,'14 AND '15.....it ended last summer where we weren't that busy
This video is about my part of the state that a unpredicted dry lightning storm ........

and a rare photo of me.....with the Governor at the time.....the pic has a story of its own lol.
I had the head division of the number 1 fire in the nation at the time and it was burning into The Dalls Or .......we didn't let that happen and it earned me a meeting with this piece of crap

got my marching orders boys , I'll be filling the Operation Chief 2 spot....I'll be running night operations

Good Morning,
You have been selected to fill a team position for the Party Rock Fire in North Carolina http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ This will be a 14 day assignment. If you are unable to fill your position, please notify me immediately so that we can work to find a replacement.
SCC will make all travel arrangements for you. We intend to fly you into Charlotte, NC on either Nov. 20th or 21st then you will transition with the existing team on the 22nd. If you accept this assignment, please email the SCC Group today with the following information:
  • The jetport you prefer to fly out from (ie. PDX, EUG, MFR, BOI)
  • Your full name as identified on your Driver’s License
  • Your DOB (date of birth) XX-XX-XXXX

North Carolina has some really pretty area's, much like here.

Just know, most of this years leaves have only recently fallen and that makes for a lot of fresh fuel.

Please stay safe brother.

Forgot to add, if you're going to be working nightshift, you better dress warm.

I'm quite a bit farther north, but we've been getting frost regularly late nights. That makes for a long night if you're working out in it.

dry and windy.

I wish I could give you better news, but this is one of those times where I look you in the eye and tell you the truth rather than sugar coat it because I know you don't like surprises. News interview with firefighter yesterday said they needed several days of soaking rain to get a handle on things, and there's none expected for a while.

Also, they're starting to do evacuations now because of hazards. I'll share one interview video below.

This is where you'll be going. I found some recent videos. One of them stating that the Party Rock fire was the #2 priority wildfire in the country right now.

reading where some crews from Arizona are also being deployed.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/evac...rock-fire-reaches-nearly-4500-acres/352822147

vlcsnap-0976-01-09-05h32m04s022_1479339753441_7056087_ver1.0.png

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...lina-peoria-surprise-daisy-mountain/93797354/

video
http://myfox8.com/2016/11/14/crews-continue-to-battle-large-western-nc-forest-fires/

http://wtkr.com/2016/11/13/forest-fires-force-hundreds-to-evacuate-in-appalachia/

You may be able to shoot a wild turkey that's already been cooked.

HehHeh...sorry...Take care Oli.

You did tell me you wanted to step foot in the Appalachian mountains at least once in your lifetime.

Looks like you're going to get your wish.

You may be able to shoot a wild turkey that's already been cooked.
me and the boys been talking about this......not a joke, thinking sling shot, we fought a lot of fire with them they already think we are lose cannons so lets get a turkey lol

You did tell me you wanted to step foot in the Appalachian mountains at least once in your lifetime.

Looks like you're going to get your wish.
yep.....60% reason I am going is just for pay back, 30% Appalachians, 10% I like money

advice on local folks at all ?........always good to know what locals expect

for instance here we are loved by the people while they hate FS/BLM..........In Alaska if you work for the BLM you are basically instructed to lie , state agencies are loved .............any behavior like they hate us out of staters? lol

I am hearing there are over 1000 landowners/parcels in this 5000 acres. We have never heard of such a thing out here. 5000 acres at best we are dealing with a couple logging outfits, even in town the landowners would never approach that number

I have never fought fire where people have been living for damn near 300 years so I hear there is a lot of everything just stuffed in a lot of dark places

I'll send you a PM. It would probably be better. I can be more candid with you.

got my marching orders boys , I'll be filling the Operation Chief 2 spot....I'll be running night operations

Good Morning,
You have been selected to fill a team position for the Party Rock Fire in North Carolina
Well, Oli, thanx for helping out. Party Rock is about 175 miles away, so our face-to-face will have to wait.
But I won't back out on buying the meal.
Yesterday's newspaper had an article about Bradley Healthcare Facility taking donations to send out to the firefighters in 5 states. So Saturday I am going to pack up a bunch of jerky and have them ship it out to you guys.
I taught a TN handgun carry class today. We had 30 students. At the end of the course I showed them your picture, my "firefighting friend who volunteered to drop in from Oregon." I left 30 copies of the article and told them if they felt like donating to take one and get their stuff over to BHC. Sixteen copies disappeared.
So if you happen to see a package of Jerky with a red SCOOP on the front, that's a thanx from me.

Safety first, buddy.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Back