• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stupid arsonists

You can get that feeling when you come over the Wasatch Front from Logan Utah into Brigham City.

You go over the Rocky Mountains and then come down off of this steep Mountain face-- the Wasatch Front ... they say it is the steepest in the world-- and Utah flattens out before you like the Bonneville Salt Flats and there's the Great Salt Lake.

Like Lake Superior, when you stand on the shore, you feel like you're looking at the ocean because it just goes forever.

It's beautiful John, very rich in history and pride and loving people

However very crowded, we stayed in between lake lure and ashville and the locals warned us that we were going to be " in the middle of nowhere" based on that we were 12 miles from groceries ......lol man we roared that is town to us.....this state is half the size of mine but has 100 counties and twice the population ! ....crowded !

You can drive any road here and go through a town every 10 miles

I loved every minute but it's the most crowded woods I have ever seen . In a 7000 acre fire we had 900 land owners......aside from some rock and cliff face the ground isn't that bad, mountains are hills to us

I would loved to have lived here about 150 years ago.

Now you need to come to the frontier ........I show ya some hard ground !

This was the best thing to come out of this .......I filmed this because I knew the close out was going to be good ,I have never seen this in my career , I got a YouTube page again a month ago to
The guy talking was the IC and the guy cutting was the planning chief both very good friends of mine and good woodsmen I was one of two operations chiefs from the Oregon team so second in command

Back in Oregon tomorrow wooooohooooo

Last edited:
Oli, that was a great one! i like seeing stuff like that. Glad to see you're safe too. I have a few friends down there and they said it's disturbing how bad the fire is jus engulfing everything in it's path.

Thanks rip!........that is normal life 4 month out of every year of our lives in the PNW......it is horrible but I guess it's just a normal part of life for us . They only see a fire season like that once every 100 years.....I really hope it stays that way
I am getting on the plane now, many of us feel like we are leaving family today......I want to come back but not like this, my wife is a huge NASCAR freak so maybe for that sometime.

Last edited:
Thanx, Oli. I am grateful to all the firefighters that made voluntary displacements to help out over here. I hope you have a comfy seat and get some restful zzzzzz on the way home.

Thanx, Oli. I am grateful to all the firefighters that made voluntary displacements to help out over here. I hope you have a comfy seat and get some restful zzzzzz on the way home.
made it home about 2200PST.....
I would turn around and do it again, Scoop be proud of the North Carolina Forest Service.
They had that fire licked they just need to take a breath. All we did was keep it in its original foot print, mop up and demob the resources and break down the camp at the end of the tour.
We gave them a good package closeout and passed on some tips......one trick in particular was palm IR. We take hand held IR and walk the perimeter of the fires.
NC never heard of this and we showed them lots of hidden heat. Those spots are the ones that lose fires......like Gatlinburg, I bet money they didn't use a palm IR crew because its just not done out there ......the closest IR camera I could find came from Kinston....
I heard through the grapevine that Gatlinburg was 18 acres and "out" before the wind event

And when the wind kicked up, it turned those embers into a firestorm that people couldn't get away from.

Channel 6, WATE had the best coverage. I don't think they broke coverage for a couple of days.

And some footage from responders

And when the wind kicked up, it turned those embers into a firestorm that people couldn't get away from.

Channel 6, WATE had the best coverage. I don't think they broke coverage for a couple of days.

And some footage from responders

if that is in fact what happened, here is what it looked like

one small ember in a stump hole, or buried under a debris pile .......a lot of time its hidden on the edge of a dozer line , when the cat cuts line it leaves a wake of dirt that needs to be thoroughly checked......every inch traditionally by hand with gloves off . Every nook, every cranny, there are indicators like any white ash or schools of insects hovering over spots of heat in the morning. Sometimes you just sit and watch the sun move across the fire and watch for the heat in the form of a heat mirage .

Any way "coals" or even a 10" diameter surface heat is usually obvious even to the most negligent patrol
If they were calling it "out" , this was something probably about the size of a cigarette cherry burried smoldering for a day or two with just enough O2 to stay alive but not enough to consume or burn out.
The biggest thing eating these crews lunch is this weird fall you guys are seeing ......the leaves wont fall completely .
So in the morning very first thing is leaf blowers on the established line to get the last nights leaf fall off thus once again securing the line, day after day till the leaves have finally fallen completely or the woods b=get wet enough to not worry about spread

the way it is now there are just enough falling each night to compromise the line to a cigarette size ember ......in wait . Since the wind kicked up like it did that small ember likely got the dry leaf duff layer glowing and when those goddamn leaves fell for the 20th night........well off to the races and when its blowing hard its a race you don't win

Now being next to a community , as all the fires were because of the population density, you can not afford this .......every last ember must be found and extinguished no way around it.......enter the hand held IR camera

And those houses, they weren't burned by direct flame impingement.
They were burned down by blowing embers, fire brands, landing in peoples crap.....or dirty gutters, blowing into un-screened vents, wood piles stacked next to structures, open windows , under decks where leaves collect......even volatile landscape plants like Juniper .
90% of the time they burn down after the front passes in wind like that, this is why you see some houses stand and some don't right next to each other.
Its luck but most the time its how you keep the place, the defensible space as we call it, its two fold......defensible space done right means a place will stand with no help from crews , at worst it means it is defensible by crews and then there are ones that will kill you if you try.....

I have seen this unfold many times but its usually firefighters that die.....not public like what happened in TN , tells me firefighters were not on scene when this started aligning with an "out" fire..... but I wasn't there

Last edited:
Back