• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Surefire G2X Tactical Flashlight

catnphx

.270 WIN
Anybody have one of these new (came out in Oct 2010) Surefire G2X Tactical flashlights? They are 200 lumens (and some say even more) but the important thing is I just picked 2 of them up via Amazon for $55 each. This is Surefires entry into the Average Joe flashlight. The reason I picked up the G2X Tactical is that is has momentary on with a click of a button that gets you immediately to 200 lumens. If you twist the cap it is constant on. Surefire introduced this new line in October 2010 at $55 and then raised their price to $95 on 4/1/11. However, I was able to find 2 of them for $55 on Amazon ... I guess they didn't get the memo. :lol:

I'll let you know how good they are when I get them next week. Anyway, here are the specs and the reviews are great:

Max Output = 200 lumens
Tactical Runtime = 2.0 hours
Length = 5.20 inches
Bezel Diameter = 1.25 inches
Weight w/Batteries = 4 .4 ounces
Batteries = two 123A

The G2X Tactical, a polymer-body version of our 6PX Tactical, is designed specifically for tactical use. Providing simplicity of operation and tremendous illuminating power in a small package, it uses a high-efficiency LED—virtually immune to failure since there's no filament to burn out or break—to generate a brilliant, penetrating, perfectly pre-focused 200-lumen beam. The G2X is activated by our classic tactical tailcap switch—press for momentary-on, twist for constant-on. The tough Nitrolon® polymer body is smoothly sculpted for a comfortable, secure grip and resists scratches, abrasion, and corrosion. A polycarbonate micro-textured reflector delivers a comparatively wider beam with generous peripheral light. We also make an aerospace aluminum-body version of this light, the 6PX Tactical, and a dual-output version with a two-stage click-type tailcap switch, the G2X Pro.

Features
- Virtually indestructible LED emitter regulated to maximize light output and runtime
- Precision micro-textured reflector creates smooth, optimized beam
- Tough polycarbonate window resists impact
- Tough Nitrolon® body, anodized aluminum bezel
- Tactical tailcap switch—press for momentary-on, twist for constant-on
- Weatherproof—O-ring and gasket sealed
- Includes high-energy 123A batteries with 10-year shelf

http://www.surefire.com/G2X-A-BK

G2X-Tactical.png

I saw these at the SHOT show; looked like a nice light for the price. Let us know how you like them.

I'd like to know how it's working out for you. I'm interested in the light, but I think 200 lumens is a bit much for a weapon light that will be used indoors.

I'm supposed to receive it on Friday. It won't be a mounted weapon light but it will be my handheld in tactical scenarios. We'll see how it works though ... don't want to blind myself and the BG. :lol:

catnphx said:
I'm supposed to receive it on Friday. It won't be a mounted weapon light but it will be my handheld in tactical scenarios. We'll see how it works though ... don't want to blind myself and the BG. :lol:

If you could get something with enough lumens, you could probably just set the bad guy on fire by illuminating him. Throw a magnifying glass in front of it, and you have a laser. :D Just be careful to not set the curtains on fire. :lol:

Well, I guess I do have an update. I ordered two of these from Amazon but I had to order them separately because they were such a low price and they didn't have many left. Anyway, I was told they were both on their way and then the next day I had one order get cancelled and a couple of days later the idiots sent me one G2X Pro Dual Output LED; I was expecting (and ordered) the G2X Tactical Single Output LED. I wanted the single output LED because when I click the button I wanted an instant 200 lumens but the dual output gives me 15 lumens on the first click and 200 lumens on the second click. So, I'm extremely pissed.

The G2X Pro Dual Output LED is a decent flashlight. I'm here to tell you that night becomes day with the 200 lumens setting. I'm not as likely to use this one for tactical purposes because of the dual output but it would do well for around the house, farm, car, etc... where you can use the low output 15 lumens for normal stuff but blast the 200 lumens when you really want to see things. The body is a very tough polymer and the light is well put together. I'm sure the light will last a very long time around the house.

If you can get this for $55 then I would recommend it but I won't be using it for tactical purposes (because of the dual output) and I wouldn't pay $95 for this light, which is it's current asking price at most places. I might pay $95 for the G2X Tactical but the purpose (for me anyway) would be different than this light. I would have a hard time paying $95 for any general purpose light ... but that's me. It's a good light for $55 and I'm glad to have it around the house but I would consider it general purpose and I have not compared it to others that are similiar. Who knows, after comparing it to others, I very well may pay $95 (but probably not).

http://www.surefire.com/G2X-B-BK

Specifications

Max Output = 200 .0 lumens
Low Output / Runtime = 15 .0 lumens / 45 hours
Tactical Runtime = 2 .0 hours
Length = 5.20 inches
Bezel Diameter = 1.25 inches
Weight w/Batteries = 4.4 ounces
Batteries = two 123A

The G2X Pro, a polymer-body version of our 6PX Pro, uses a high-efficiency LED—virtually immune to failure since there's no filament to burn out or break—that provides two light output levels: a brilliant, penetrating, perfectly pre-focused 200-lumen beam, and a 15-lumen low-output setting that lets you greatly extend the runtime per set of batteries, an invaluable option when you find yourself miles from civilization. Press the tailcap switch for momentary-on low, press further to click constant-on low, return to off and press or click on again within two seconds for high. The tough Nitrolon® polymer body is smoothly sculpted for a comfortable, secure grip and resists scratches, abrasion, and corrosion. A polycarbonate micro-textured reflector delivers a comparatively wider beam with generous peripheral light. We also make an aerospace aluminum-body version of this light, the 6PX Pro, and a single-output version with a tactical tailcap switch, the G2X Tactical.

Features
- Virtually indestructible LED emitter regulated to maximize light output and runtime
- Two output levels—high for maximum light, low for extended runtime
- Precision micro-textured reflector creates smooth, optimized beam
- Tough polycarbonate window resists impact
- Tough Nitrolon® body, anodized aluminum bezel
- Dual-output tailcap click switch—press for momentary-on low, click for constant-on low, return to off then press or click again for high
- Weatherproof—O-ring and gasket sealed
- Includes high-energy 123A batteries with 10-year shelf life

After reading my last post, I sound very bitter. :lol: Probably still pissed that they sent the wrong light.

It's probably the best light I've ever had but please know I don't have a history of buying good lights or spending money on decent lighting (though that will change). It is the best general purpose light I've ever but I've not ever bought good general purpose lighting. I will buy a better tactical light with a single mode output and when I do I'll let you know how it operates.

I'm a cheap guy and I have a hard time spending much money on a general purpose light and that is what I consider the G2X Pro Dual Output LED. It is a good light but you'll have to determine how much you want to spend on a general purpose light.

I dont have any tactical stuff but in general I live by the general rule of BUY STREAMLIGHT!! Everybody I work with that owned a surefire lights had problems with them. Not saying anything about the company because obviously they make some good stuff if they are still around but... I have never see anyone have problems with any streamlight yet and we just switched to all streamlight for all our vehicles and almost everyone at work bought one for carrying as well. Just an opinion but personally for the money I like the streamlight better. Might just be a terrible personal bias though. :)

I am considering buying this light....What mount do you have or will you have to put this on your Mossberg?

Personally, I would not use this as a weapon mounted light ... I'm talking of the G2X Pro Dual Output LED. Its dual output is not suited for tactic situations in my opinion.

Back