• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Survival Fiction

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
I've started a survival fiction blog called The Union Creek Journal. It's the survival story of a family who moved to a Nebraska farm (big stretch for me :D ) after seeing the signs of an impending global economic crash.

My intent is to try to make a weekly entry (maybe a little more frequently at the beginning to get things going) that chronicles the Johnson family's survival and includes tips on surviving at a bug-out location with a cache of resources. If you've read James Rawles book, Patriots, and the online Adrian's Undead Diary (a must-read for zombie fans) blog, you'll likely relish the flavor of my blog.

Here's the link: http://unioncreekjournal.wordpress.com/

You can subscribe by clicking the Follow link in the lower, right-hand corner, to receive e-mails when I post a new entry. You can also reply or post comments for each entry. Please feel free to do so.

By the way, you're my Guinea pigs. I'm trying this out with you, first (lucky devils!). So, please give me your feedback. If there are specific topics you would like me to address, let me know here in this thread.

Enjoy!

The snowflakes freaked me out some....I like the story so far a lot, reminds me on how I would think..What I mean is I think its funny when people talk about a few days...this sounds long term. I would have so many questions in Nebraska. Like how is he going to keep those vehicles going, fuel, parts, tires, air for tires where do you get firewood in Nebraska, how far do you have to haul it.....would he have to fight for it? How is he going to deal with natural disaster and acquire the resources to rebuild everything? Medical emergencies, prescriptions that someone (older folks) are sure to need....prescription glasses, dental work.....moonshine, reloading ammo, casting bullets, making cloths, tanning hide.....irrigation for crops… In SE Oregon people already get shot over irrigation hate to see how bad it would be in this case…. its endless.

Great comments and questions, oli! The situation is definitely long-term. Infrastructure is gone. Huge portions of entire cities are burned to the ground. You've also hit upon many of the points that will be addressed in future entries ... I guess we do think alike!

I turned off the snowflakes, BTW. I thought they were distracting.

Mudinyeri said:
I guess we do think alike!

I think we are a lot more alike than we think...where we differ is our faith in the system, doesn’t mean I don’t respect you .We would work well together in this scenario because there is no more system lol.
I subscribed.... going to have to get some trade going soon. What is Mr. Johnson going to have that others want...services, goods, assassin lol...although that might be a cool twist to show what people will do when desperate

oli700 said:
Mudinyeri said:
I guess we do think alike!

I think we are a lot more alike than we think...where we differ is our faith in the system, doesn’t mean I don’t respect you .We would work well together in this scenario because there is no more system lol.
I subscribed.... going to have to get some trade going soon. What is Mr. Johnson going to have that others want...services, goods, assassin lol...although that might be a cool twist to show what people will do when desperate

I'm not sure how you got the idea that I have a lot of faith in the "system". I may utilize the system to my advantage if and when I can. I may try to better understand how the system works to further utilize it to my advantage but I am prepared for the system to break down entirely.

Although I don't want to follow Rawles' book too closely, I do see trade in the future of my story. I think Mr. Johnson and his family will have much to trade - although I suspect that will never involve assassinations. :D

Following the story and a good read so far. Certainly makes me miss living in more rural America...

Kent

Mud, this is awesome man! I just registered my email addy to receive updates.

Perfect for reading a little at a time and leave you excited for the next update! I've read the first two segments!

With all the craziness goin on in the world it isnt difficult to see everything coming to a screeching halt in the near future.

I like this as it gives more insight on your own philosophies and allows you to expand on those in the context of the story. Its helpful to folks like me as I read your posts here and see possible ways to implement the strategies through the narrative or journal entries.

I really like things like this, Well done! I hope you find it sucessful and enjoyable!

Thanks Mud!

Glad you liked it, Brad. I should have another chapter up tomorrow about Thanksgiving after the crash. It still needs a little work. Then I have another chapter about hunting deer for winter meat that's almost done. I really like the way it's turning out.

Up next after that ... "contact". :twisted:

Looks like a good saga to follow...will post more comments after visiting your site Mud !! :cool:

...Well, I finally read the whole story as posted and must say I quite impressed with your writing ability. I'm looking forward to the next entry...

Just read the Thanksgiving installment. Glad I read this before lunch as it mostly made me hungry! The part about the guernsey cow reminded me of the guernsey my Mom had growing up affectionately named "Squirt". ;)

Kent

nice to have a farm and farming skills. We raised cattle for meat when I was a kid , didnt have a heater but there are three small creeks on my folks property so there always something to drink for them....having a farm can make you a target as well though. Might need to put out some wood box/black powder mines on the wire.

@Topgear, we had Guernsies and Holsteins when I was growing up. The Holsteins produced more milk but the Guernsies had much better temperments.

@oli, I think farming skills are pretty much critical to long-term survival in the absence of what we now consider "normal". You're right, though, a farm can make you a target. While the Union Creek Farm is pretty far off the beaten path, you'll see contact with the outside world in a soon-to-be-released installment.

Click Click….not a lot of people would know that one…I have had people come back “change your batteries” lol. Well got some food, that’s good……12 degrees and only got cottonwood for heat and cooking, ouch. Hope no one sees the smoke .Going to be a long winter

oli700 said:
Click Click….not a lot of people would know that one…I have had people come back “change your batteries” lol. Well got some food, that’s good……12 degrees and only got cottonwood for heat and cooking, ouch. Hope no one sees the smoke .Going to be a long winter

There's also propane for cooking and passive solar for heat and dry cottonwood and elm heat just fine. My parents still heat their entire house with it (about 3000 sq. ft.).

You're absolutely right about the winter, though. But then, that could be a good thing. :mrgreen:

Note: Please be so kind as to rate each post and share it if you have Facebook or Twitter. This has to be done on the individual post's page, not on the main page.

Thank you.

Sorry no facebook or twitter for me but I like it if thats worth anything......

oli700 said:
Sorry no facebook or twitter for me but I like it if thats worth anything......

That's worth a lot! I'm just trying to find ways to spread the word.

Warning! Top Secret Plan Ahead

Ultimately, I'd like to support my family by writing. The Union Creek Journal is sort of my "loss leader". I'm giving it away for free, so to speak, to expose people to my writing style and gain a bit of a following (hopefully).

Good start, to be honest with you it felt more professional than just a hobby writing. I almost commented but didn’t want it to sound like I thought you were not writing it lol.

Back