• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Survival for old farts

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Given the potential for an economic catastrophe in about 11 days when we hit the debt ceiling (assuming no deal is reached before then), I've been thinking about how to handle a "New Normal". Specifically, Obama has stated that Social Security checks would stop if a deal is not reached, and there has been some concern within the DoD about military retirement also being delayed or stopped.

Since those 2 items account for about 75% of my monthly income, I've had to think long and hard about how to deal with it. Food is not an issue ( grow most of ours), however mortgage and other bills would have to be put on hold. If it comes to pass, I'm pretty sure I can negotiate with my creditors, so that's not really a big deal either.

But what might be a big deal is the social disruption that would result from 40 million or so people in the same boat I would be in.

Alright, that sets the scene. Now to the survival part, and I'm not even sure where I'm going with this, but......

99% of the Survival advice and products I've seen are aimed at young, healthy people and heavily weighted towards things like bug out gear and so on. How about something for the over 65 folks that have no intention (or capability) of bugging out or setting up some kind of cinder block fortress to defend ourselves against the marauding hordes of 30 somethings. We'd just like to live out what remains of our life in peace. We've bugged our last out. ;)

I can't speak for those trapped in cities, but for the old folks in rural areas, many garden and are pretty self sufficient even into their 80's and 90's.

So anyone care to offer some advice for us old farts? :)

Make friends with us "young farts"? :lol:

Not sure but a good question. I still work fulltime but the checks are low due to decreased riding. So my "retirement" helps with the bills. If these dickheads keep it up I may move over to Boehner's house and set up camp on his front yard.

Hey Gunny,,,,sleeps 6,,,,,,bug out wagon,,,,

Attachments

• LAND_HMMWV_USAF_Chavis_Turret_lg.jpg
    LAND_HMMWV_USAF_Chavis_Turret_lg.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 292
old mossy said:

Sorry, but most of us on fixed income can't afford a vehicle that costs as much as our house. Besides, they get lousy milage. :roll:

GunnyGene said:
old mossy said:

Sorry, but most of us on fixed income can't afford a vehicle that costs as much as our house. Besides, they get lousy milage. :roll:

Sure you can...use the same technique the government uses...borrow well above your means then borrow more to pay off the first...repeat often.

I'm of the opinion that you make yourself a harder target than the next guy. Better doors, better windows, firearms, etc. I think the majority of folks are low hanging fruit. Look at your situation and imagine how a crook would look at it. Is your place the first one a crook would test? Take care. Tom Worthington

+1 for Tom.

The question is, how hard of a target do you have to become? A simple gate across the driveway can be as good as deterrent as any. Most thieves, besides being not very smart, are also lazy. Make something too much work, and they go somewhere else. It's the thieves who are will to work at it that you have to watch out for. Those are the ones you should plan against. Think "If I was desperate (hungry, poor, etc), how would I come at my place?"

Think layers and escalation of force. Signs. Gates. Motion Lights. Spotlight. Dog (or recording). Bullhorn. Firearm.

My .02

If you are thinking about it, that's a good start. As expressed before, make your home as ready as possible. Have a good supply of ammunition, food and water. Older people often are on meds, stock them up as best you can. Don't advertise what you have. Don't have your NRA stickers on your car, fly the glock flag on your pole. Right down to bumper stickers and such on your car. Be well stocked and prepared. If things get too bad, all the city folks that can will band together and rove all over the countryside to take what they can. Banding together in the country can be difficult. Having some younger folks in the mix might help. I would likely abandon my suburban home and join my parents in the country, if things got really bad.

On a serious note:

Having a few good neighbors you can trust can go a long way as well. The more eyes you have watching each others backs the better.

I mounted a few cameras around the perimeter of the house, they save to a DVR and I can check on them remotely via my smart phone (I know you don't have one but they are very useful for some things :-D ). I also install anti kick-in supports in the door frames and make sure I am within a short reach to some type of defensive weapon anywhere in the house.

MikeD said:
On a serious note:

Having a few good neighbors you can trust can go a long way as well. The more eyes you have watching each others backs the better.

I mounted a few cameras around the perimeter of the house, they save to a DVR and I can check on them remotely via my smart phone (I know you don't have one but they are very useful for some things :-D ). I also install anti kick-in supports in the door frames and make sure I am within a short reach to some type of defensive weapon anywhere in the house.

Perimeter cameras are about the only thing I don't have (other than a smart phone). Some of y'all know I'm pretty well set here - out in the woods, one way in or out for vehicles and that could be blocked in a few minutes with chain saw, various early warning/ security, etc.

For community level protection, we're also pretty set. Lots of heavy equipment, ability to blow a couple bridges on the main hiway north and south of the community if necessary, and only 4 or 5 other roads in that could be defended fairly easily against anything other than a military force.

Electricity would probably be the biggest problem if it went down for more than a few days.

Gunny... in my head you look just like Cecil on Walking Dead (if you old farts even watch that ;) ).... nice secluded country house in the middle of a 20 acre field... with 360 degree view and lots of windows to "observe" from :)

aksavanaman said:
Gunny... in my head you look just like Cecil on Walking Dead (if you old farts even watch that ;) ).... nice secluded country house in the middle of a 20 acre field... with 360 degree view and lots of windows to "observe" from :)

I've seen it a couple times, but don't know the cast/characters.

Back