• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SWATTING....

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
This turned out to be a false story.

http://www.nymeta.co/15-year-old-sw...estic-terrorism-25-years-life-federal-prison/

In a Louisiana courtroom today, 15-year-old Paul Horner broke down in tears after a judge found the young man guilty on two counts of domestic terrorism and was sentenced to twenty-five years to life in federal prison.

Horner is the first person in history to be charged with what is known as ‘swatting‘, a growing trend in which a person anonymously files a false police report, such as a murder or bomb threat, in hopes of provoking the police to raid an individual’s home or business. Prosecutors in the case proved that Horner called in multiple false threats against rival online gamers, resulting in SWAT team raids of their residence.

“Swatting” is a new fad among gamers targeting those who “livestream“, broadcasting themselves and their game play live over the Internet to fans and in-game rivals alike. If a gamer is able to ascertain the personal information of a rival, by locating their IP and residential address, they will call in a dangerous threat to law enforcement and watch as the “livestreamer’s” house is forcibly entered by police.

The practice of “SWATTING” was recently brought to national attention by the YouTube video: The Creatures (Kootra) got SWAT Raided (SWATTED) #FreeKootra2014. Law Enforcement agencies say that the practice, which has been occurring with increasing frequency since 2013, wastes valuable resources and places innocent people in harm’s way. The 2014 incident, which resulted in the charges against Horner, are a prime example of this.

Defense lawyers told the courtroom that Horner, who goes by the gamertag BadAssDwg69, was upset after being repeatedly beaten by a fellow gamer at Battlefield 4. After obtaining the rival gamers information, prosecutors say Horner called police and reported a murder/hostage situation at the home. SWAT team then raided the house, shooting and critically injuring the “Livestreamer’s” father in the process. Following an investigation of the incident, Horner was charged as an adult, using provisions of the 2001 Patriot Act. Horner’s guilty charge stems from two counts of domestic terrorism, related to his manipulation of an enforcement response, and injuries to innocents resulting from those actions.

Prosecutors played audio of Horner’s 911 phone call to the jury:

“I just shot and killed four people. If any police enter my home I will kill them too,” the statement read in part.

During closing arguments, prosecuting attorney Tom Downey explained the state’s assessment of Horner to the jury.

“There were no victims or any evidence that a shooting had taken place,” Downey said. “Horner’s actions are pure evil, he is a menace to society and must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

Horner, described as affecting a brash, “hardcore” persona while online was anything but throughout the trial. At multiple times Horner broke down into fits of sobbing hysteria and calls to his mother, to the point that the presiding Judge, Arthur Digsby, was forced to have him removed. Hearing the sentence of 25 years to life, Horner began sobbing. Judge Digsby told Horner that though he felt bad for the youth, he was ultimately responsible for his own actions.
“Ignorance of consequence because of lack of thought absolves no one”, the Judge told Horner. “Thinking that your actions were only a prank did not make them only a prank.”

Good. That lil piece of $h!t can rot in jail. I'm glad to know this will not be tolerated.

Last edited:
Damn, I'm glad I stopped gaming a couple years ago.

Never live streamed, but I sure did piss plenty of people off. Just when you thing you're heard it all...

No doubt....25-life!!! For a stupid prank call.
I looked it up for more info, the guy was at work playing the game when swat came in. They surrounded the building and locked down a bunch of businesses and a school nearby.

Sheesh....all because the kid sucked at gaming and got beat by the guy multiple times. Not to mention the DA proved he did it to other gamers in the past!!
What a POS!!

While I find 25 to life a bit harsh for a 15 year old... someone needed to be the example! Where do kids these days get the idea to do stupid crap like this? I mean... I'm certainly no old timer, but have times really changed so much that prank calling SWAT on random people you don't even know has become a past time for bored adolescent gamers?

I like playing my occasional Halo or Call of Duty...guess it's a good thing I suck at online gamingo_O

Some people's only sense of self worth is based on virtual accomplishments. It's really sad and definitely something that is becoming more and more evident given the current technology. I quite a lot of games because of the people. I don't mind losing but there are a lot of "griefers" in the gaming world that get off on lust making everyone else s gaming life miserable, similar to internet trolls (which they most likely are as well)

Didn't think 15 was old enough to be charged as an adult. I think some rules got bent or broken on this one. He'll be out when he turns 21...the appeals process will see to that. He'll have fun "livestreaming" it in whatever hole they drop him in...

Didn't think 15 was old enough to be charged as an adult. I think some rules got bent or broken on this one. He'll be out when he turns 21...the appeals process will see to that.

I doubt he'll serve any actual time as an adult.

The DA was going after the sensational headline to scare the $#!+ out of any would-be pranksters. "Guess what kiddos, you're not anonymous and we will find you." This will play out differently in appeals, under the radar, and he'll likely end up with the sentence commuted to time served with 1000 hours of community service...

I doubt he'll serve any actual time as an adult.

The DA was going after the sensational headline to scare the $#!+ out of any would-be pranksters. "Guess what kiddos, you're not anonymous and we will find you." This will play out differently in appeals, under the radar, and he'll likely end up with the sentence commuted to time served with 1000 hours of community service...

I have little tolerance for stuff like this but if it teaches the kid a lesson and scares others from doing the same I don't mind of the sentence is reduced, but I do feel he needs to serve something to really drive the point home. Some kids learn from stuff like this and never screw up again others do not, unfortunately there is not way to know.

Question is will the victim come after him for damages, lost wages or anything else that resulted from his false apprehension?

The father at the house was critically injured! Screw that kid! Rot in jail forever!

I guess I missed that; that changes my thoughts on it.

25 years NOT harsh at all...besides the other kid's father getting shot, think of how many others were put into harms way as the SWAT team prepared for the worst case scenario...how many innocents could have been hurt as they rolled up to that house...speeding through everyday traffic to get there...rolling out of their vehicles into that neighborhood where anything that moved was perceived as a threat...and the logistics and cost involved with all that's involved with same.

It's a very public way of announcing this type of crap will NOT be tolerated...and even though he might get the sentence reduced in the appeals process...I applaud the judge and the prosecutor for coming down hard on this idiot. A precedent MUST be established...

25 years NOT harsh at all...besides the other kid's father getting shot, think of how many others were put into harms way as the SWAT team prepared for the worst case scenario...how many innocents could have been hurt as they rolled up to that house...speeding through everyday traffic to get there...rolling out of their vehicles into that neighborhood where anything that moved was perceived as a threat...and the logistics and cost involved with all that's involved with same.

It's a very public way of announcing this type of crap will NOT be tolerated...and even though he might get the sentence reduced in the appeals process...I applaud the judge and the prosecutor for coming down hard on this idiot. A precedent MUST be established...
>... SWAT team then raided the house, shooting and critically injuring the “Livestreamer’s” father in the process.

Punishment not too "harsh" in my opinion. If he'd done that w/ a gun instead of a phone...

Exactly....I'm not a religious person, but I was brought up with values and respect. And kids need to understand boundaries and they need to understand that there should be punishments, there should be discipline that is in direct proportion to the improper behavior that they might demonstrate. The behavior, the attitudes, whatever types of undertakings they have that are deemed inappropriate, they should understand that there is a point which they should not cross and I think it's very helpful to do that while they're very young so you don't end up with a set of other kinds of disciplinary problems and destructive behaviors when they get older. People these days seem to have forgoten how to discipline their kids. And so we now have a bunch whiny lil brats growing up thinking they're untouchable.

Society is degrading to the point people think they can get away with whatever they want with no accountability and no repurcussions. Just look what our politicians, celebrities etc. do on a daily basis.

The stress the other family went through as well as the officers involved, for purely this kids amusement was unwarranted. Someone could bave easily died in this. The officer involved has to deal with shooting an innocent man; he's damn lucky it wasnt a fatal shot. He still has to live with that. No one involved will ever be the same as a result...and it could have been a lot worse.

He should be charged as though he broke into the house and fired the shots himself.

Back