• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Swedish AF Saab 39 Winner of the Best Overall Flying Demo @ RIAT 2019

When I used to work on Saabs the service manager gave me a couple new posters. One with Saab cars, one with Saab airplanes. I'll have to dig them up and take a pic for you.

The Saab looks like a blast to fly, as it's light and the canard gives it some cool attitude control. It's like the Concorde in miniature. (Imagine the Concorde with drop tanks and huge missiles underslung. LOL)

Israel has modified their/our latest stealth fighters to standards Iran can only dream of. Basically they pull back the software safeguards on our standard flight envelope and let the guys go a bit cowboy with the gear.

They might loose a couple more guys (and billions in hardware) ripping metal, before they tune in to the tactics of an envelope we don't try to fly. The software will track what they've done, so they'll have test data, & (hopefully) they'll find any problems like cracks from overloading or mechanisms that bind under high forces.

Risking hot-shot test pilots isn't a thing done in trivial circumstances; yet, trivial theirs are not. But they are really extending our test program of the aircraft where we haven't gone. The capability could come with a big reliability factor.

They teach every pilot to never fly at 10/10 or 100% of your craft's capabilities, except in dire emergency. Well we don't really know the ultimate capabilities, but the Israelis will get us closer.

In the end, we surely don't want to see Israel shoot Saabs or vice versa.
Much better to see IRGs bailing out of their flaming Russian death-traps. :cheers:

For Fellmann, circa 1987. :) I had the car in the bottom right, same color and everything. Didn't have any of the planes, though. ;) I had that poster hung up at some point in time so it got a little weathered.

PS: those are little chunks of Al to hold the posters down on a ping-pong table...

saab1.jpg
saab2.jpg
saab3.jpg

Last edited:
Those early Saab 92 93 94 cars were very popular in Minnesota when I lived there in the 1960s.

Not nearly as popular as any American Car of course, but nearly as popular as the Volkswagen.

I don't recall seeing more than one of those running around since I moved to California 45 years ago.

But the Saab 900 turbo was a very popular car here and we saw quite a number of them.

Back