• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

synthetic stock custom paint

S

soaxin

How would I go about painting my 4x4 syn stock? Also does anyone know how to dissasemble the rifle? Can a novice gun owner do it? Thanks in advance.

yes, synthetic stocks can be painted.

But depending on what you have in mind, could theoretically be done with anything from spray paint to professional firearm airbrush finishes like duracoat or water immersion camo dips.

Are you thinking a camouflage pattern, or just a custom color, or ????

As for the 4x4, I don't have any hands on experience with it, but here is how I look at guns.

Someone put it together, so it can be taken apart too.

But not knowing your experience level or comfort level, I will stop short of recommending it until you are familiar enough with the gun to make that determination for yourself.

I would be surprised if there wasn't a youtube video showing the takedown and field strip of a 4x4, but as I mentioned, I haven't really looked either.

A simple camo look. Somthing simple but different. I saw on here somone painted their atr flat green with black stripes. I was thinking an epoxy based paint and primer would adhere well to the synthetic. Ill take a search on youtube for a feild strip. :cool:

If you can't find a video on how to field strip it will have to put one together for you.

The action and barrel are held in place by two screws.

Remove these screws and the entire barreled action will lift outta the stock. Take a look at the parts list and exploded parts diagram on pg. 16-17 of your owner's manual for further detail. Items 37 and 38 are the two take-down screws. Here's a digital copy if you don't have one...

Owner's Manual: Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action Rifle

Thanks. So just those two screws and it all lifts out? im just worried about screwing up the trigger.

soaxin said:
Thanks. So just those two screws and it all lifts out? im just worried about screwing up the trigger.

Have you looked at the schematic yet?

The design is super simple. Once you remove the two action screws the entire barreled action will lift right outta the stock. Not much to it really...

Got it all disassembled cleaned and put away. Thinking of patern ideas right now. Also should I get a metal swivel stud or and accessory rail to put on the bottom of the stock??

Depends on what you're trying to attach.

If you just want something to mount a bipod, a swivel stud is all you need...

Put the swivel stud in. Ill post pics later tonight. Decided to go with a tiger stripe pattern. I was thinking of just painting the stock flat green then adding flat black tiger stripes to it.

soaxin said:
Put the swivel stud in. Ill post pics later tonight. Decided to go with a tiger stripe pattern. I was thinking of just painting the stock flat green then adding flat black tiger stripes to it.

Is the stock black now?

If it is, just tape off the stripes where/how you want them by tearing strips of masking tape, then paint the green over everything, wait til it dries and then remove the tape strips.

That would be a lot easier than trying to paint the black later from my experience.

But, of course, it's your gun, so do it how you feel is best. I'm looking forward to seeing it when you finish it no matter how you choose to do it.

The stock is more blue than black. Which is why I'm doing it that way. Thanks for the interest!

Well.. I painted one side and decided that I didn't like the green I chose so I'm going to do it over. Ill post a build in the 4x4 section when it's all done.

i would suggest putting on a clear coat as well...but a non-glossy one...I painted my tactical 702...and the grease from my hands started to soften the paint on the grip...and the paint would come off very easy...ever since i used the primer...never had an issue

Friend of mine is going to professionally paint it for free for me so when I get it back ill post it up.

Back