• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Syria - Message being sent

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
We currently have 3 Burke class destroyers, carrying 94 tomahawks each, on station and another on the way. At least one carrier, and one LHA with a Marine Battalion on board are also on station, plus support ships. Other countries are also moving assets.

Assad has a significant airforce and air defense capability http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... rforce.htm . Iran and other countries (Russia?) may jump in if the SHTF, which is looking more and more likely.

I give it a week, more or less.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08 ... -suggests/

I honestly didn't think it would be this son Gunny, but I think you're right... Syria's been a ticking bomb for a while now, and I think the final seconds are coming. I just wonder how involved this is going to be? Do we really have the resources and will to stage another ground war in the middle east?

aksavanaman said:
I honestly didn't think it would be this son Gunny, but I think you're right... Syria's been a ticking bomb for a while now, and I think the final seconds are coming. I just wonder how involved this is going to be? Do we really have the resources and will to stage another ground war in the middle east?

We could call it the "Bleeding Heart" intervention, since the push for US involvement is coming from all the 'compassionate' types (and those who see a financial or political opportunity).

Don't know how much credence to give to the Telegraph, but if what they say is true Assad is going to punched very soon.

Royal Navy vessels are being readied to take part in a possible series of cruise missile strikes, alongside the United States, as military commanders finalise a list of potential targets.

Government sources said talks between the Prime Minister and international leaders, including Barack Obama, would continue, but that any military action that was agreed could begin within the next week.

As the preparations gathered pace, William Hague, the Foreign Secretary, warned that the world could not stand by and allow the Assad regime to use chemical weapons against the Syrian people “with impunity”.

Britain, the US and their allies must show Mr Assad that to perpetrate such an atrocity “is to cross a line and that the world will respond when that line is crossed”, he said.

British forces now look likely to be drawn into an intervention in the Syrian crisis after months of deliberation and international disagreement over how to respond to the bloody two-year civil war.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... Syria.html

Bluff and bluster? Or is Syria and Iran serious? They're threatening to attack Israel if the US and others attack Syria. Since chemical weapons (and possibly Bio) are known to be in the Syrian arsenal, it could get very nasty. I think if a single missile from either country was launched toward Israel, nuclear retaliation by them would not be out of the question. They would view it as an existential threat.

A senior Syrian official on Monday issued a first direct warning that if attacked, his country would retaliate against Israel. Khalaf Muftah, a senior Baath Party official who used to serve as Syria’s assistant information minister, said in a radio interview that Damascus would consider Israel “behind the [Western] aggression and [it] will therefore come under fire.”

“We have strategic weapons and we’re capable of responding,” he said. “Normally the strategic weapons are aimed at Israel.”

Muftah concluded with a warning that “If the US or Israel make the mistake of taking advantage of the chemical issue… the region will go up in flames… that will affect security not only in the region but across the world.”

His words were echoed by Iranian officials, who on Monday shrugged off the threat of a US attack on its close ally Syria, but said that if such a strike were to take place, Israel would suffer.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/syria-iran ... s-attacks/

I'm calling a Bluff... they have wanted us out of their land for years now... Probably more than we want ourselves out of there. If they were to counter-strike our attacks and attempts of "justice" and delivery of Democracy by slinging stuff at Israel. Lord help the innocent from the hell that would let loose on those lands.

Itsricmo said:
I'm calling a Bluff... they have wanted us out of their land for years now... Probably more than we want ourselves out of there. If they were to counter-strike our attacks and attempts of "justice" and delivery of Democracy by slinging stuff at Israel. Lord help the innocent from the hell that would let loose on those lands.

Man I hope you're right about a Bluff... this will be a damn dirty mess if it unfolds.... :|

aksavanaman said:
Itsricmo said:

Man I hope you're right about a Bluff... this will be a damn dirty mess if it unfolds.... :|

Kerry ( :roll: ) on the news today basically gave Assad 2 options. Option A: Get out of town. Option B: We make him.

Let's hope he takes Option A. If he decides to take Option B, there's going to be a few hundred thousand more bodies.

Itsricmo said:
by slinging stuff at Israel. Lord help the innocent from the hell that would let loose on those lands.

Israel is not large enough to withstand a preemptive strike. Especially a nuke.

I'm sure that Isreal has been keeping close enough tabs on Iran and who is where, iran would quickly become the worlds foremost source of glass if anyone so much as takes a piss in the wrong place.

You don't screw with Israel.

I worry more about what Russia and China would do. They have been very staunch supporters of Syria.

John A. said:
Itsricmo said:
by slinging stuff at Israel. Lord help the innocent from the hell that would let loose on those lands.

Israel is not large enough to withstand a preemptive strike. Especially a nuke.

I'm sure that Isreal has been keeping close enough tabs on Iran and who is where, iran would quickly become the worlds foremost source of glass if anyone so much as takes a piss in the wrong place.

You don't screw with Israel.

I worry more about what Russia and China would do. They have been very staunch supporters of Syria.

I heard today that Russia said they would not go to war on Syria's behalf. Despite all their support for Iran and Syria, I tend to believe that. Too big of a risk for them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mid ... story.html

I understand that Israel couldn't withstand the strike but if they attack Israel, one of our allies... we obviously are in place to strike back. THAT is going to be the end all factor for Syria and Iran.

Now, if they are willing to openly use the Chem-Agents on their own people, what do you think they will be ever more willing to use on our guys? :/ Then, if they use a nuke........ lets not think about that yet! lol

Itsricmo said:
I understand that Israel couldn't withstand the strike but if they attack Israel, one of our allies... we obviously are in place to strike back. THAT is going to be the end all factor for Syria and Iran.

Now, if they are willing to openly use the Chem-Agents on their own people, what do you think they will be ever more willing to use on our guys? :/ Then, if they use a nuke........ lets not think about that yet! lol

From a tactical perspective, there is no possibility that Syria can be surprised by an assault. The first Tomahawk that leaves the tube will be spotted almost immediately by Russian satellite or their AWACS, and warning transmitted within seconds to Syrian operational forces. A Tomahawk travels about 550mph, so if launched from say 50miles at sea, Syria will have about 5 min minimum before the missiles are feet dry to start launching their own stuff. Plenty of time.

B-2's or F-22's leaving from Cyprus would be spotted by ground observers in Cyprus, who will no doubt have various Syrian air defense installations on speed dial. No doubt the Syrian forces are on high alert and ready to launch without additional orders from Assad, so there won't be a political delay.

They won't be able to intercept much, but that won't stop them from hitting back at our ships and Israel. Everyone is going to bloody when the bell rings.

Well the Syrian officials are calling "bull shit" on Kerry and Obama... Surprised?? But with all the recent lies we have been getting on the home front, one has to ask....... Did they really use Chemical Agents? Is this part of "the plan"? ... Having another war/battle/invasion over seas would put more stress on the US Economy and if the correct things go down, leave Obama with more power...

What if they strike back inside the US?? What then?

Itsricmo said:
Did they really use Chemical Agents?
Somebody did. There's a few hundred dead bodies to show for it, and a great deal of evidence pointing to Sarin or VX, including exams by Doctors Without Borders, among others. And it's very likely it was done by the Assad forces.

I don't buy any of the several conspiracy theories that are floating around.

As for Syria or Iran striking back ---with what? A dozen or so suicide bombers? Big deal. If you can't stand to take a punch, don't get in the fight.

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy argument, just asking questions that I feel need to be asked lol

We don't want to sheepishly walk into WW3 because of some false facts we chose to believe or pointing fingers at the wrong people... I am still reading the plethora of news articles and trying to decipher it all myself

Itsricmo said:
I'm not trying to start a conspiracy argument, just asking questions that I feel need to be asked lol

We don't want to sheepishly walk into WW3 because of some false facts we chose to believe or pointing fingers at the wrong people... I am still reading the plethora of news articles and trying to decipher it all myself

Ok. The only answer I have for any of that is: No plan survives the first bullet. We'll probably know how this plays by this time next week - maybe . We won't know how it will end until it does.

Some things that could happen (not necessarily in this order):

* Iran shuts down the Straits of Hormuz.
*Hezbollah, et al, start shooting at Israel.
*Assad calls it quits and gets asylum in another country.
*The Arab League launches a ground invasion of Syria.
*Assad hands over a butt load of VX, Sarin, Mustard, etc. to various terrorist groups to use as they see fit.
* The US/UK/France, etc. lose a couple ships and some planes.
* A couple dozen other things that I haven't thought of.

GunnyGene said:
Itsricmo said:

Ok. The only answer I have for any of that is: No plan survives the first bullet. We'll probably know how this plays by this time next week - maybe . We won't know how it will end until it does.

Some things that could happen (not necessarily in this order):

* Iran shuts down the Straits of Hormuz.
*Hezbollah, et al, start shooting at Israel.
*Assad calls it quits and gets asylum in another country.
*The Arab League launches a ground invasion of Syria.
*Assad hands over a butt load of VX, Sarin, Mustard, etc. to various terrorist groups to use as they see fit.
* The US/UK/France, etc. lose a couple ships and some planes.
* A couple dozen other things that I haven't thought of.

I honestly think we'll start throwing tomohawks within the next few days... Which in turn will fuel Syria to attack Isreal as they've warned. While I don't trust our government's word... I certainly take a hail marry threat from Syria quite serious...

After that I can only speculate... But large scale use of WMD's is not out of the question.... I'm certainly nervous about this outcome :|

GunnyGene said:
Itsricmo said:

From a tactical perspective, there is no possibility that Syria can be surprised by an assault. The first Tomahawk that leaves the tube will be spotted almost immediately by Russian satellite or their AWACS, and warning transmitted within seconds to Syrian operational forces. A Tomahawk travels about 550mph, so if launched from say 50miles at sea, Syria will have about 5 min minimum before the missiles are feet dry to start launching their own stuff. Plenty of time.

B-2's or F-22's leaving from Cyprus would be spotted by ground observers in Cyprus, who will no doubt have various Syrian air defense installations on speed dial. No doubt the Syrian forces are on high alert and ready to launch without additional orders from Assad, so there won't be a political delay.

They won't be able to intercept much, but that won't stop them from hitting back at our ships and Israel. Everyone is going to bloody when the bell rings.

The B-2's would launch from Whiteman AFB in MO. For all we know they are already in the air.

OhioArcher said:
The B-2's would launch from Whiteman AFB in MO. For all we know they are already in the air.

I would expect that there are spotters watching the runways at Whiteman also. Besides, I'm pretty sure that Russia has real time satellite surveillance of Whiteman that's a good deal better than Google Earth ( with which I can easily identify much smaller planes than a B-2). Trust me, you and I may not know when the B-2's take off, but you can bet your bottom dollar the Russians and others will.

The latest google earth images are very impressive.

I can see the vents on a central heat/air unit and individual scrap 2x4's in the yard.

But I'm sure what the worlds' military powers use are better.

Back