• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

TacStar side saddle ruins comp stage

mingaa

Raconteur
Shot a 5 stage challenging shotgun match Sat. Timed out on one stage when my TacStar 6 shell side saddle started spitting off plate mount screws. The two mounting screws (installed by me) are fine with Loctite - the 6 screws holding the poly shell holder to the aluminum backing plate started dropping out. I was early in a 36 steel target stage with a 180 sec. Limit. The unit swung half off seriously interfering with reloading and eventually did fall to the ground. I had to resist (certainly considered it) ripping it off to keep rolling. I timed out as I was loading for the final 6 poppers. There was NO Loctite on the 6 screws that mount the poly shell holder to the aluminum backing plate. Lesson learned. Don't just check your own work - check all work factory or otherwise.

Iirc the screws are 6-32 ( switch plate screws from Lowes) 6 new screws, locTite AND a layer of epoxy should prevent this from happening again. I almost had the stage even with the impedament! I was loaded and had 6 final close range 'gimme' shots - the timer ran out as I shouldered my gun - ARG!!

Owch! That hurt. I have my own lesson learned. Never, Ever, adjust the up/down and left/right on your scope at the same time. LOL. Certainly not as painful as yours. But annoying beyond belief anyway! ;)

Paul

That sucks. Sounds like you fought through it well despite falling a little short. Unfortunately some of our best lessons are learned the hard way.

MikeD said:
That sucks. Sounds like you fought through it well despite falling a little short. Unfortunately some of our best lessons are learned the hard way.
Yep - don't cut corners AND check-the-other-guys-work, even if 'they' are the factory! Still waiting for event results...

Damn, that sucks man!

Sorry to see that happen. I had to completely disassemble my TacStar in order to drill a second hole to make it work with my forend. Ended up applying Loctite to the all screws when I put it all back together. Have you tried contacting the folks that make the TacStar and sharing your experience with them?

Sorry to hear it and thanks for the double check reminder.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Damn, that sucks man!

Sorry to see that happen. I had to completely disassemble my TacStar in order to drill a second hole to make it work with my forend. Ended up applying Loctite to the all screws when I put it all back together. Have you tried contacting the folks that make the TacStar and sharing your experience with them?

I will send them a note. An experienced shooter and friend told me after the stage that he had heard / read about this on more than one occasion - to me that means there are probably more - maybe many more. Any owner / manager would - should want to know about this. I know I would if it was my company and people were failing in competition with my equipment in the mix.

High note - I watched a guy with a 4 +1 pump (missed the brand) JUST complete the stage as the clock ran out. The shooter really knew how to reload his gun. Underdog - great to watch! I'd never shot a 36 target stage before - it was the big Hollywood finish for the day!

Exactly,

Let us know if you get any response from them. Would'a been cool seeing that guy beat the clock. I'll bet that 36 target stage is as fun as it is challenging...

Back