• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tampa, FL checking in...

FLmossy

.22LR
I've been looking at Mossies for a few months now, and came across this forum while doing research. Love all of the posts and pictures, and hope to be able to add a few myself.

Primary purpose of my purchase will be HD, so looking at 18" models to be able to navigate my townhouse effectively. Already have an H&K VP9, but thinking I want something with more ooomph. :)

Love the 590a1, but I really don't need that heavy barrel (and the gun will be more nose-heavy once I swap out the stock for a shorter-LOP Hogue or something similar)

Anyone have any thoughts on the 500SP (such as model 50411) vs 590SP (model 50778). I can't see to find any differences between the two.

Again, appreciate all of your posts and pictures. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Chris

Welcome aboard!

Either model would be a great choice. As for the difference, look at the mag tube end caps. The 500 mag tube cap threads into the mag tube. The 590 cap threads onto its mag tube, allowing for the addition of a tube extension for added capacity. This is not possible on the model 500. With the 500 you will be able to easily switch between the 18" security barrel and any of the longer 500 field model barrels. With the 590, you would have to use model 835 field barrels.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so we're lookin forward to pics of whichever model you decide. Take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Howdy Chris, welcome to the club.....

Welcome from MI!!!

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

Welcome from CFL! :)

I think having a shorter LOP will make the gun LESS barrel heavy as you are bringing the CG of the gun closer to your body. At least in theory... ;)

Purchased a 500 Mariner (model 50273) yesterday. I take delivery in a few days. Pictures to follow... :)

Back