• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Target distance for range shooting

After having watched various videos on YouTube, it seems as though most people recommend the 7 yard distance for determining home defense round grouping. Since I am a total newbie to guns period I would like the input of the members.
Agree?
Disagree?
Reasons
Thanks for the input.

I assume you're talking about handgun or shotgun and what would be termed 'snap' shots under stress, in less than perfect conditions - not taking time to acquire a sight picture or assume a formal shooting position for example. Then you ought to be able to hit a full frontal human size target at the range you mentioned with a little practice. Any gun is capable of doing this at such short range. The biggest variable is you. :)

PS: If pistol, you might want to read thru the USMC pistol training manual. http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publi ... anship.pdf

Is there a distance in your home longer than 21 feet? Most self defense shots are at about ten feet or less.

Practice what makes you fell comfortable in your home.

Jeff

Sent from my Droid. Spelling errors are the phone. Logic errors probably aren't...

Gunny, I am referring to "snap" shooting in low light, high stress situation using either a 12 gauge shotgun or 9mm pistol.
Thanks for the link, I will read it.
Jeff, I think the longest distance would be roughly 30 feet from the end of the hallway the bedrooms are off of to the far end of the living room.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably start at 10 feet and then move the target progressively farther away as my proficiency increases.

RoanokeYankee said:
Gunny, I am referring to "snap" shooting in low light, high stress situation using either a 12 gauge shotgun or 9mm pistol.
Thanks for the link, I will read it.
Jeff, I think the longest distance would be roughly 30 feet from the end of the hallway the bedrooms are off of to the far end of the living room.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably start at 10 feet and then move the target progressively farther away as my proficiency increases.

Unfortunately there isn't anything similar that's publicly available from the Corps for the shotgun, but you may be able to adapt the basic principles from pistol to some degree.

Also, I rather doubt that the usual public range will permit the kind of practice contained in the above manual, so you might have to locate a private range that will allow it, or if you have some land you own, set up your own course.

oli700 said:
GunnyGene said:
PS: If pistol, you might want to read thru the USMC pistol training manual. http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publi ... anship.pdf

that is really cool !

this is my favorite part

Pistol Marksmanship 10-5
Concentrated light blinds the enemy and prevents him from focusing
on the Marine or determining his location.
:p

seriously though , cool link

Right. I thought the pro-light guys might pickup on that. :mrgreen: Just be sure to read the rest of that section, and consider how it pertains to inside a house. :) Also, this publication is a little dated (2003) and does not address weapon mounted LEDs.

However, the Marine must consider
the following:
• Anytime a flashlight is on, the location may be
revealed to the enemy. The Marine should
keep the flashlight pointed out in front of his
body to help avoid illuminating himself and
revealing his position.
• Light shined directly from in front of the
Marine at the target obscures the Marine.
• Light shined from the side of the Marine at the
target illuminates the Marine.
• Light can bounce off surfaces and reflect back
onto larger areas that the light is not focused
on. Therefore, whenever a Marine shines a
flashlight onto a surface, some of the light may
reflect back and illuminate the Marine.

and continued at length

I agree with the 7 yard distance. It fits the confines of my home. I do practice at greater distances if for no other reason than enjoyment.

I think 7 yards is right at the cutoff distance in the birdshot vs. buckshot debate, also. At 5 yards, I think center mass birdshot might very well stop a determined attacker. At 10 yards, I'm pretty sure birdshot would not stop a determined attacker. But then, everybody has a different opinion about that too. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back