• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Taurus / Rossi Firearms

After many trips to the range the wife finally accepted that the Glock 26 didn't fit her hands. The double stack mag was just to thick. So after fondeling a few guns a few weeks ago she decided on a Taurus 709 Slim (PT709) which came in today. We'll be taking it to the range tomarrow.

2012-10-16153537.jpg

Well, the Taurus performed great! After reading lots of accounts of the sights being way off, I was thrilled to find out this pistol was dead on. Niki loved it and it fits her great. Kind of sucks to find out that this pistol doesn't like Remington UMC as that's what I usually stock up on. My G19 eats anything though, so I'll be looking for something that shoots better out of the Taurus. However, the Taurus did shoot the Hornady Critical Defense round nicely.

Put tritium sights on the G19 recently and learned an important lesson about remembering the loctite. :oops: Front sight came loose, but I caught it before the screw backed out to much and was able to have the gunsmith at the range get it fixed up for me, but it was down for the rest of the trip so the loctite could set up. :( A guy in the next lane let us try his S&W 1911 in .45 ACP though ... and I wish he hadn't because now I need one! I was expecting a heavy recoil, but the thing was so nicely balanced that it had less felt recoil than my 9mm G19! Man, this hobby is getting expensive.

Good news on the 709 Slim!

You've gone and done it with the 1911 though man. A lot of folks assume .45acp is gonna be a bear to shoot, but it's actually a lower pressure round than 9mm. Combine that with the heavy frame of the 1911 and you get one smoothe shoot'n combination. I love my 1911s bro and I agree...you do need one... :D

Well, now I know of three of us (mingaa, Sn3aKyGuY and myself) who own a Taurus 709 Slim. I consider it to be a pistol that I trust completely to work whenever I pull the trigger. I'm certain that no matter how much I shoot it the gun will never wear out and will probably only get better.

I think the little 5-shot 9mm snubbie is pretty cool. Ballistically the 9mm is a stronger round than a .38-Spl so it's definitely a viable self defense revolver.

I really enjoy my little 905 snubbie.

The only issue I have, and it's a common one with the model, is the hot little 9mm rounds leave the 2" barrel so fast that the rifling doesn't always stabilize the bullet. They'll tumble and produce the signature keyhole impact on target. Only happens once in about every ten rounds or so though...

I always shoot the cheapo WWB 9mm from Wally World in it though.

It'd be interesting to try a bunch of different ammo in it and see if it makes any difference...

I'm not a revolver guy. I like them, just never cared about owning any (other than my S&W model 13). I checked out a Taurus 85 Protector Poly .38SPL +P this morning and fell in love with the feel of it. LGS made me a price that I couldn't pass on so I brought it home.

DSC00875.jpg

DSC00878.jpg

DSC00872.jpg

jimmydeuce said:
I'm not a revolver guy. I like them, just never cared about owning any (other than my S&W model 13). I checked out a Taurus 85 Protector Poly .38SPL +P this morning and fell in love with the feel of it. LGS made me a price that I couldn't pass on so I brought it home.

DSC00875.jpg

DSC00878.jpg

DSC00872.jpg

That's AWESOME jd!

Congrats on the new wheel gun. I was never a revolver guy either until I bought one and I've definitely become a fan of snubbies. My Taurus model 905 SS2 is a variant of the model 85 and it's a fun little shooter. Enjoy it brother and you know we're lookin forward to a report after you've had an opportunity to send a few rounds down range...

Thanks guys!! I just finished a trigger job on my M&P 9 so it and the snubbie will definitely be making a visit to the range Monday...they're closed tomorrow :( .

Made it to the range this afternoon. I found out I suck at shooting a wheelgun. When I finally got a decent grip with it I managed to look like I knew what I was doing.

The Taurus was new so DA was a stout pull at first. It was improving by the time I finished. A baby could shoot it in SA.

It ran like a champ. Federal and Hornady 110gr HP were smooooth through it. The 130gr FMJ's were just about as good. Pretty accurate for a 2" barrel.

The 85 Poly has a little bigger frame so finding a holster that fit it good was a pain. I tried 8 different ones before I finally found a BlackHawk leather with a snug fit.

I'm glad I got the 85. It feels great and was a ball to shoot. And everybody needs at least one snubbie don't they??

"And everybody needs at least one snubbie don't they??"

Absolutely !! ;)

nitesite said:
Well, now I know of three of us (mingaa, Sn3aKyGuY and myself) who own a Taurus 709 Slim. I consider it to be a pistol that I trust completely to work whenever I pull the trigger. I'm certain that no matter how much I shoot it the gun will never wear out and will probably only get better.

Now you know 4.
I bought a Taurus 709 slim for my wife today for her Xmas present. I will probably get the "Seriously!?! :roll: " look with the eye roll, but she needs one that will fit her small hands. She shot my 042 Smithy and complained about the recoil the whole time, and my Sig P250SC is a little big for her. She also laughed when I showed her the Ruger LCP and said , "Aww, it's so cute!" :)
It was a toss up between the 709 and the Kahr CM9. I thought the Taurus felt better in my hand, it had a better set of sights, a frame mounted safety held one more round in the mag, and came with a spare mag. It was easier on the old credit card too.
Draw backs so far are that night sights seem to be non-existant, and the mag release is too small for me, but hopefully it will fit my wife better.

I went ahead and gave it to her this morning. I told her I bought her a Xmas present and she asks, "Is it a gun?" So I went ahead and gave it to her. She said it was a perfect fit. :)

Back