• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Taurus / Rossi Firearms

Here is my Taurus 380 my father bought me for my 16th or 17th birthday.

This was my fathers Rossi, when he passed away my mother gave it to me. I am not getting rid of it.

0742628428476fe93d027bc7151a1fde.jpg

I am going to order one tommorrow after reading / hearing many great reviews. ....Does anyone have one in either of the 3 barrel lenghts ?

A buddy of mine has 2 of the Taurus large frame revolvers, both with 8 inch barrels. One is a 7 shot .357 with an 8 inch barrel, the other is a .44 Magnum Raging Bull with an 8 inch barrel. Both are very accurate, reliable revolvers.

Last edited:
Thank you. ...my brother in law has the .357 8" barrel & said it is very accurate and has very tame recoil

When you get it, inspect it thoroughly paying close attention to the cylinder timing.

I had two large frame Taurus revolvers and both came from the factory with cylinder timing issues. The .44 mag was really bad to the point it could have caused serious injury if fired. Sent them in, had them repaired, and they took care of it quickly. Eventually traded them both for something else. Still have my Taurus 905 SS2 that was good to go right out of the box...

I picked this one up this last summer, I can't believe I hadn't shown it off?!?
I call this one, "Rossi in weeds"

15992b812aa4e14c6d955d6960984d57.jpg

"Rossi on rail road tie"

ba1121eef0f57c2262f5e4c7d9ca2dd9.jpg

Shows a little wear, it was carried for some time.

299be2f6e6a36e2f036b08408b5a8848.jpg

Clean though! The only recent purchase cleaner was the G21

e18712bbb41161140caef3c425c1a5d6.jpg

aa2a8596dfcc633f5c590cc9a8663138.jpg

Like the listing mentioned, it came with 15 rounds of Buffalo Bore and 80 other FMJ's, maybe 20+ cases and the Uncle Mikes IWB holster, like what I use for my XD.
I like the feel of it in my hand, everything seems to be in good order, I will need to check out some diagrams to see how it comes apart, I have read that I shouldn't dry fire it, which shouldn't be too difficult.

I was looking around on the pistol, it appears to be all factory, the cylinder, Arm/yolk thing, side cover and frame all have the same stamped numbers on them.

0337728f925e36810ba212647550b53b.jpg

554b355894feaa038d6e6c3cfb1f69aa.jpg

94b6e4861ad0df4c93d5454dcd7162e7.jpg

db3ce9a7816cfdee9cc131ef27c879b0.jpg

Below, I don't quite know what the number on the left side frame means or if the 27 on the frame and grips coincide or not?!?

f443e7a19e7b6d71f213ad5add3eb121.jpg

MFG date?!? 08 94

Check that the cambers are perfectly in line with the barrel when the cylinder clicks/locks into place. Also make sure that the cylinder locks into securely into place under normal operation.

Try it (empty of course) on single-action and in double-action as well. If it does not line up, then do not fire it. The .44mag I had would under rotate and have to be manually spun about another 1/8 turn before it would lock. Even if slightly off, when the primer is struck there would be a lot of lead and gas hitting the edge of the barrel and frame upon detonation instead of traveling down the barrel as it should. The result could cause serious damage and/or injury.

Not trying to cast a shadow on your new revolver, but since two out of three of the Taurus models I've owned had this issue I thought it was worth mentioning...

I always appreciate your advice and thank you for taking the time to help me out and possibly save me some headaches and or injury [emoji106]

Interesting topic as I'm quite familiar with the product and Rossi/Taurus are my handguns of choice. I know you guys like pictures so...

Here are some of my pistols...

black_guns.jpg

and some of my revolvers...

taurus_revolvers.jpg

I have a few more but these tend to be my favorites. These handguns have shot thousands of rounds. I've used them at professional training facilities like "Front Sight", carry them for self defense, and even killed feral hogs with each of them! I have cast bullets of my design for each of them that I have had cut into molds by Lee Precision and some of them have never seen a jacketed bullet or factory ammo through their barrel.

The most carried is the 25PLY as this little 25 Auto is always in my pocket, always. Whoever designed this really knew what they were doing and was familiar with pocket carry. At first look it might seem a bit "weird" looking but the front of the pistol is the shape of a pocket. As you carry it it remains oriented for presentation and your hand slips immediately over the stock. The grip of the stock is large so that there is no issue with a proper grip. I also have the PT25 but hands down, prefer the 25PLY. Based on my experience with this pistol, I don't listen to the negative comments about the new "Curve". I'm personally aware of what has gone into the development of this handgun and know that it will fit exactly what it was designed for.

My second most carried piece is not in the pictures, it is a Rossi 351 38 Spl.

351_H4227_01.jpg

I shoot a cast 135 grain cast bullet at +P levels. Within the confines of self defense shooting this is probably the most accurate handgun I've shot. It is well regulated to the fixed sight and leaves 5 "ragged hole" groups. The speed loaders are MaxFire loaders. I don't think the outfit is in business any more but they are the best speed loader I've ever used. The are make of rubber, quick to reload, silent in carry, and strip right into the cylinder quicker than any other product. I have them for each of my revolvers and three is always two loaders on my belt with conceal carry.

The third most carried, it started as the first most carried and stirred my interest in the Taurus product, is the Millennium Pro PT745. This is a compact single stack 45 ACP that replaced a Glock 36. As a cast bullet shooter, I hated the polygonal barrel of the Glock. It is not so much the polygonal that I disliked but the fact that Glock decided to rifle the polygonal. True polygonals like the CZ82 are very cast bullet friendly as they are using the polygonal to spin the bullet, not rifling. Anyway, the Taurus is just a straight cut barrel and very cast friendly. As I leave the area in which I live, away from the ranch and my community, I carry the PT745. I want a 45 ACP on my hip.

I go a bit west during hunting season, chasing desert mule deer near the Rio Grande. Encounters with the illegal trade (humans, drugs, or whatever) is always a possibility. I want something that is going to knock a big hole in someone if my life is threatened within my self defense space. They will get to meet my friend, the Taurus 450.

450_03.jpg

It is not uncommon to run into the desert travelers and during the encounters, we always hunt as a pair of hunters on account of it, I have never had issues despite being significantly outnumbered. My command of Spanish is fair and respectful and I know that if I lived South of that River, I would be crossing it as well. I'm always watching the eyes of an individual that I perceive as a threat. I've never drawn that revolver but the one thing that I've noticed is that they are always looking at that gun.

Border Patrol stops on this private ranch are as common as the above as well. It always starts as a helicopter passing over us, we are garbed in desert camo, and if sighted the helicopter turns back hard. Within thirty minutes they are on us. The agents are always friendly and "relieved" that we are hunters but they too cannot take their eyes off that revolver. Several have asked just what the heck it is!

Mark Kresser really did well at Taurus, he turned a floundering outfit around and started making Taurus and Rossi a respected name. He didn't think twice about reaching out to customers and talking to them as a fellow gun enthusiast. This ability helped him define just what exactly was missing in their products. I own a Rossi forum and Mr. Kresser reached out to me personally just like he did at TaurusArmed.Net. He sought advice and kept us updated on what the Company was doing to resolve customer and product issues. I will never forget the first email I got from him... "Hello friend! My name is Mark Kresser, I'm with Taurus/Rossi. I'm in Brazil but would like to talk with you about..."

Back