• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Technique

It's not quite optics, but it has to do with my aim. I have a 590 Flex, and when I use the regular tail stock, it seems I am always punching myself in the right side of the nose with my right thumb as I sight down the barrel and fire. I popped my self pretty good the other day, so I'm wondering if it's my technique or some other problem like needing a cheek riser. This doesn't happen when I attach the pistol grip stock, and I know, just use it instead, but there are times when I like to change it up a bit. Any help would be appreciated!

Almost impossible to help you without actually being there and watching you. I'd suggest you find someone at the range or a friend who can act as a coach. Have them take a few short video's from different angles and distances, including closeups, that you can study at your leisure.

,,,sounds like your LOP (length of pull) is too short. you should have 1" to 1 1/2" space between nose and thumb.

Attachments

• lengthofpull.gif
    lengthofpull.gif
    38.7 KB · Views: 153
oli700 said:
old mossy said:
,,,sounds like your LOP (length of pull) is too short.
that's what happens to me when my LOP is too short

Yup, I've gotten my share of face full of thumb from some heavier loads... You can also utilize the push-pull method so your forward arm is taking more of the force.

Gunny, mossy & ak all have great answers and oli confirmed the lop. My suggestion is to put a pad on the stock. That will increase your lop by an inch or so. You don't have to use a limbsaver, only because in your competition it might get hung up on your shirt. Maybe try a Pachmyer. The rubber is more dense and less likely to grab hold of your shirt. They are cheaper than buying a new stock and there is enough room in the "leg" of the pad to add another spacer if you need to..
Keep us updated on this here.
:)

Back