• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tell Us About Your SCREEN NAME and AVATAR...

Well as most of you can guess I'm from North Carolina, and I'm a Police Officer. I love my job. I hate to say it, but it defines me. I never thought about being an Officer because I enjoyed shooting and firearms too much. So I joined the Marine Corps after high school and served as a sniper...Loved It! When I got out, I planed to be trained as a machinest under a VA program so that I could eventually become a gunsmith. The VA program ended so I went with plan "B". It was the second best decision I've made. (The best decision was choosing my wife...I can't say enough about her, so please do'nt get me started.)

I've restarted my departments traffic section and serve as the Honor Guard coordinator, I like to honor law enforcement traditions and history. I curently serve as a street supervisor.
When I learn to crop a photo to 90X90 I've chosen a pic of Andy Griffith and Barney Phife as my avatar...two popular NC lawmen.

Thanks for sharing bro, and thank you for your service!

If you'd like, post your pic here as is and I'll resize it for you.

Kodiak: When trying to think up a nick my wife came up with this. She says I can be cute, fuzzy and cuddly, BUT at the same time I have a temper that brings out the claws and fangs! I'm also "big boned" and had a very full beard at the time.

My avatar is the USS Nassau, LHA-4. It is the ship I served on. That part of my life is one that impacted me, in a good way, for the rest of my life. The places I've been to, the people I've met are great memories to me. I was very sad when I found out it was decommissioned this last March.

Ships seal
uss_nassau_lha4_emb_n11703.gif

USS Nassau (LHA-4) was a Tarawa-class amphibious assault ship. She was capable of transporting more than 3,000 US United States Navy and United States Marine Corps personnel and their equipment. Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula, Mississippi, laid the ship's keel on August 13, 1973, she was commissioned on July 28, 1979. She was decommissioned on March 31, 2011.

She is named for "The Battle of Nassau"

The Battle of Nassau (March 3–4, 1776) was a naval action and amphibious assault by American forces against the British port of Nassau, Bahamas during the American Revolutionary War (also known as the American War of Independence). It is considered the first cruise and one of the first engagements of the newly established Continental Navy and the Continental Marines, the progenitors of the United States Navy and Marine Corps. The action was also the Marines' first amphibious landing. It is sometimes known as the Raid of Nassau.

Conducting flight deck qualifications with the air combat element of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit along with members of the Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (Nov 2007)
428px-US_Navy_071119-N-3165S-029_The_amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Nassau_%28LHA_4%29_conducts_flight_deck_qualifications_with_the_air_combat_element_of_the_24th_Marine_Expeditionary_Unit_along_with_members_of_the_Helicopter_Sea_Combat_Squ.jpg

Tonnage: 25884 tons
Displacement: 39,300 tons
Length: 833.34 ft (254.00 m)
Beam: 106.6 ft (32.5 m)
Draft: 26.25 ft (8.00 m)
Propulsion: Steam Turbine
Speed: 24 knots (44 km/h)
Troops: 1,900+ Marines
Complement: 82 officers, 882 enlisted men,
Armament: 2 × RAM launchers
4 × 25 mm Mk 38 cannons
2 × Phalanx CIWS
5 × .50-caliber M2HB machine guns
Aircraft carried: 6 AV-8B Harrier attack planes, 4 AH-1W Super Cobra attack helicopters, 12 CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters, 9 CH-53 Sea Stallion helicopters, 4 UH-1N Huey helicopters, V-22 Ospreys

April 14, 1999 -- The Air Boss watches as the last AV-8B "Harrier" from Helicopter Medium Squadron Two Six Six (HMM-266) lands on board USS Nassau following a strike mission into Kosovo.
USS_Nassau_Harriers-1.jpg

Thanks for telling us about the Nassau. When I was a kid living in Rota I got to take a tour of your ship. I was too young at the time to understand the bombing of the Marine station in Berute (sp), but all of the Sailors and Marines that we met all took time to say hi to us kids. Getting to see your ship and all the equipment was part of my decision to join the Marines. I was stationed on the west coast after basic and my first West-Pac was on LHA-1 the Tarawa. Years later when I was working for a Police Department in VA, I discovered that one of the older Officers was a Marine on the Nassau durring that time and that I sold him a burger and soda on the docks as part of a Boy Scout fund raiser. Small world.

nitesite came about as a nickname while I was in the Army. I was in a "Special Ammunition" unit for a while and after some extra training at Ft. Benning I returned to be what is now called a designated marksman. I was behind an M-14 with an ANPVS-4 Night Vision device. Guys started calling me "Night Sight" cuz they thought it was a cool job to have, being able to see at night (nowadays almost every front line troop has this ability so it's not so curious) behind a long range rifle.

I tried correcting them, explaining it was night vision not night sights. But soon I gave up because I grew fond of the nickname. Had a nice ring to it.

The avatar is Captain John Miller from Saving Private Ryan. I really liked the character Tom Hanks portrayed, and like the screen grab with a 1911 in his hand because it's my daily carry/duty gun.

M-14 with night vision?! SWEET!

A nickname bestowed by your peers is often the hardest to shake. It's always a good thing if you actually like it. Great movie too, I loved Hanks' character! I liked Barry Pepper as Pvt. Jackson as well. Great cast and an awesome story...

Dang, way better than my nick names from work. Most people dont know how to pronounce "Rossignol" (not difficult when you see it written) but they would call me resinballs (and some still do after years) or at my current job, they call me bradass, hillbilly, or simply fat kid.

NiteSite is way better.

Hi My Name is Chuck Linderman and Im a retired Police Lieutenant. Ive used and carried Mossbergs for years and dont think there is a better shotgun.I use the Screen name of C96Guy because ever since I was a kid I loved the Broomhandle mauser C-96 or M1896. I use it because its not common and I've used it on other forums, I have to post an avatar later, but it will have something to do with Alabama Football.

C96Guy said:
Hi My Name is Chuck Linderman and Im a retired Police Lieutenant. Ive used and carried Mossbergs for years and dont think there is a better shotgun.I use the Screen name of C96Guy because ever since I was a kid I loved the Broomhandle mauser C-96 or M1896. I use it because its not common and I've used it on other forums, I have to post an avatar later, but it will have something to do with Alabama Football.

I'm very glad to see that you joined this gun board. There is a lot to offer here and I look forward to seeing lots more posts and threads from you, El-Tee!

We aren't just about Mossbergs, or even only discussing shotguns. You'll see that the membership is very diverse and I believe you'll fit right in. Now don't be shy, newbie!

Back