• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Texas Star nightmare !

tattooo

.30-06
95a1729191e9863ae9be63bb2f6b1e06.jpg

I shot a club 3gun recently with the first texas star I ever encountered and was somewhat intimidated. A few guys said start at the top & let them fall into my sight picture. My 1st stage i didn't think I just did my fundamentals and did great, however my 2nd & 3rd crack at it i tried to beat my time was & it turned into a multiple magazine nightmare that really got in my head. I know this has been covered throughout the net but i would like some advice from my friends here .....

I wish i had one to practice on... I am going to usw paper plates like others recommended. They dont move but help with site picture

They can be super intimidating when you 1st see them. Wait until you see a weighted one. One of the clubs I go to locally likes to use weighted Texas Stars with actuvators. You open a door, or step on a platform, or shoot a popper, and the star starts to spin. It has a weight on one of the top arms that drops when a stake is pulled by the activator. Those are a bitch the 1st time you do them.

Do exactly what others have told you to. Shoot the top plate 1st, then choose a side (left or right) and shoot the next plate on that side. That will cause the star to spin that direction and the plates will come into your sight picture.

One of the biggest issues people have, other than psycing themselves out, is trigger control. 6" plates that are sitting still are hard to hit if you don't have good trigger control. Add the movement, and they can be next to impossible to hit. Dry fire more. Work on your trigger control. One thing you can do as well is shoot at smaller targets. I found some targets at my local indoor range that have 12 - 3" circles that are numbered. I go to the range with a friend and have them randomly call out the numbers. When they call a number I will try to hit that 3" circle as fast as I can. If we are outdoors, we shoot at clays sometimes with the pistol. If you practice the fundimentals, it will become fairly easy to do Texas Stars.

Then you might see the Polish plate rack.

Back