• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The 9mm Luger

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Since I started looking for a pistol I wanted to get away from the 9mm. After doing some comparison I decided to stay with it at least for one more pistols purchase. I thought I would share a couple of pictures I found that helped me decide to stay with the 9mm again.
comparison.jpg

Samples_S_UpRight.jpg

It seems to really hold its own against the other pistol ammo choices, has good capacity potential and seems as common as anything else. I believe in this bullet despite what some people say.

Good post. This is why I decided to make 9mm my first purchase as well. Cheap(er), fun with little loss of stopping power. Plus, a 9mm AR-15 (or maybe just an upper) got added to 'the list' recently. Having a G19 and AR-15 that can both take Glock HiCap mags in the same caliber could save some money while pinking/varmint hunting

I've always felt plenty comfortable carrying 9mm for SD. My G26 gets carried most often and it stays loaded with 12 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 9mm.

.357 Magnum 125-gr SJHP 4" service revolver = 1400-fps

.357-SIG 125-gr JHP 4.0" service pistol = 1320-fps

9mm Luger 124-gr +P JHP 4.5" service pistol = 1300 fps

100-fps less velocity from a 9-mm +P than a .357 Magnum,
20-fps less velocity from a 9-mm +P than a .357-SIG

The difference seems rather miniscule, doesn't it? :lol:

I know a lot of very smart veteran police officers who are going back to carrying a service pistol in 9mm. You'll never see me selling this fine little cartridge short!

I have owned numerous 9mm's over the years.

My current favorite is the M10A1. :twisted: Around 600 rpm, front grip, stock, dot optic, it's very accurate and controllable. Headshots with controlled bursts are very do-able. I prefer the 147 and even 158 gr subsonics for even better penetration and quieter with the silencer though.

Historically speaking, the 9mm has been around for a long time. It is one of the older handgun cartridges out there. Besides being used in pistols, they were prevelantly used in submachineguns during WW2 and even to this day in handgun and subgun roles.

Lots of people are no longer among the breathing because of it.

IMHO shot placement is of greater importance then caliber. I've never felt under gunned carrying my 9mm G19

I like it because I shoot it well and higher capacity. I know higher capacity seems contradictory to the shot placement mantra but in the real world you never know what can/will happen

I'm really impressed with those loads! Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger SXT are some wicked looking loads!

I'll tell ya Oli... your recent research into your newest purchase has really encouraged me to take the step into the world of the 9mm! I'm gonna seriously consider one as my next handgun!

But with so many choices... where does one begin? Have any advice? :D

Good post Oli!

Rossignol said:
Have any advice? :D

Good post Oli!

We all get FFL's and start an exchange program se we can shoot each others guns....like they do with books.

You are due for a striker fired pistol.....Ruger SR9

Oooooh, a striker fired pistol! I've yet to fire one, though I've looked and they feel weird!

I am seriously ready to try a 9 though!

Yeah, they are different. I don’t mind them,,,,they work, especially the XD's and Glocks. The Ruger SR9 is supposed to be the best bang for the buck ever in a striker gun

For pistols, I've got mainly 9mm's ... just like how they feel, my family can shoot them easily, great capacity, they are cheaper to shoot and they conceal very well. The ammo I carry are Federal HST and Gold Dot both in 124gr +P ... they work great.

nitesite, what do you think of Hornady Critical Defense 115gr vs. Federal HST 115 gr. out of a 3 1/2 in. barrel?
I have 100 of the 115 gr. HCD. I was thinking of getting 2 boxes of Federal HST @ $35 a box/50. The limited research I have done shows them to be pretty equal in expansion, weight retention. Just wanted your opinion.

tcecil88 said:
nitesite, what do you think of Hornady Critical Defense 115gr vs. Federal HST 115 gr. out of a 3 1/2 in. barrel?
I have 100 of the 115 gr. HCD. I was thinking of getting 2 boxes of Federal HST @ $35 a box/50. The limited research I have done shows them to be pretty equal in expansion, weight retention. Just wanted your opinion.

tcecil88~

Honestly, I think that premium 9mm self-defense ammo is basically all GTG. The Hornady Critical Defense is still rather untested in real world shootings based on FBI and police shooting statistics, but I wouldn't let that stop me from carrying that exact round which pretty much expands no matter the intermediate barriers. You have 100 rounds and I would feel very good being in your shoes.

My "suggestion" for you, if you want to get more 115-gr 9mm premium ammo to try, is to get the Federal 9mm +P+ BPLE round, and the Federal HST. Both would do an excellent job but the BPLE has hundreds of recorded stopping (and non-stopping) incidents to sort through, mostly very positive. And everything I see about the HST ammo, whether 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 Auto looks like it does a superb job as well. I lobbied for (and won) a changeover to the HST bullet in our dept .40 GLOCKs.

It's not that the Critical Defense bullet and load isn't a good contender. I'm sure that it is, and over time the forthcoming results will bear that out.

My only bitch about Hornady Critical Defense pistol ammo is their packaging and pricing. I am resistant to buying 20-rd boxes of ANYBODY's ammo when that box costs $25.

So I mentioned the Federal 115-gr +P+ BPLE and the Federal HST as another option. Why?

Because it isn't that hard to find Federal (or Winchester) 50-rd LE packaged ammo of the same stuff that might cost only around $32 per box.

Keep what you've got and I'd be your wingman any day and not worry about what you're carrying. If you change, that's OK too! :cool:

I don't know about anybody else, but I have been known to buy ammo in bulk and it has thankfully lasted me for a couple of years now.

But now that I am having to start replacing some of it, I am amazed and shocked at some of the prices and to find what people are paying for ammo of all calibers and gauges.

Has anyone else felt dizzy when they see the pricetag of what bullets are costing lately? I know I'm not liking it too much.

It is why I am reloading SG shells and casting shot /slugs......the 9's are a very small savings but there is one to be had depending on the amount you shoot.

I have lost faith in Hornady and won’t buy any ammo from them after the zombie ammo. It just proves to me that they are trend followers and if their product was awesome than it would speak for its self without appealing to the "masses". Using that same philosophy I would not be buying anything Mossberg....true to an extent. I fell in love with the "old " Mossberg company , not the new zombie slaying crappy customer service , crooked sight Mossberg....

There are so many other choices I don’t have to buy from sheep…..

I completely understand Oli. I thought about casting my own 9mm bullets, and have not ruled that out for the future because I do have a good source of old wheel weights, but what I am finding is 9mm powder charges are all over the place depending on which powder you use. (freight charges for powder and primer are out of this world.)

I was originally considering using unique powder, but have changed my mind and will be going with titegroup powder instead because I'll be using less powder per charge. I did the math and it equaled out to getting 316 more loads per pound of powder with the titegroup (*estimate based on max charges).

And everyone says it's cleaner and quieter (with a silencer) than unique.

Sorry to hijack the thread. But I use 9mm a lot.

I am getting a 100 count bag of Hornady 147 gr HP xtp bullets to load as well.

Certainly not for zombies, but for black bears and coyotes or feral dogs mainly. I think my chances of an encounter with one of them is substantially greater than a zombie.

dont worry about hijacking any of my threads....you take a black bear with 9mm ?

When I start doing hollow points its going to be Speer gold dots 124gr

oli700 said:
you take a black bear with 9mm ?

"Take a black bear" may be too subjective.

Shooting at a charging bear until I am empty and then throwing the gun at it while screaming like a girl and speaking in tongues would probably sum it up a lot better. :lol:

We've got some real monsters in our neck of the woods.

bigbear.jpg

bigbearsitting.jpg

That is funny, I got charged a couple of years ago on a fire..crapped my pants......that is a beast there, have to make it at least 12 inches on that bad boy before you reach meat let alone vitals, lol. It’s always a 12 g slug for me when I am looking over my shoulder for predators. I wish everyone knew what it was like to be on the menu....it’s a special feeling lol

What’s he eating? We put out a cob block, got a pic of deer , then of deer looking in the brush then a pic of a bear with the cob block between his legs while sitting on his butt. He played with it for a couple of pics then the cob block was gone and the deer were back looking around lol

If I know I'm going into bear country, I'll usually carry a 12 gauge with slugs too.

But sadly, with where I live, and as many Bears that are in my area, I can't carry a shotgun all the time. I don't know when or where one is going to pop up in my yard, on my porch, around the corner of the house while I'm getting out of the car or ????

Back