• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The addiction continues ...

Frgood

I could not help myself. My first SPX was so successful on my first (and second, and third) hunt trip that it is now fully adopted by the family. My boys stated that I am not allowed to make any changes to it as its sentimental (ha-ha mental) value is fully entrenched.

So, resulting from this family dynamic, as I wandered through, of all places, Academy Sports. What should my wandering eyes perceive? A new 464 SPX w/ flash hider for $429!! I grabbed it right up and with my great negotiating skills got a whole whopping $5.00 off !! and am now creating a NFA trust and will order a suppressor for this bad boy next week.

The second one is going to be the impratical one. As the first will remain true original tactical hunter. This one will get some sort of red dot or BDC CQB scope and a suppressor. I do draw the line at flashlights and lasers. I just can't bring myself to that.

From someone who was raised on Chuck Connors and wields with pride my wood stok 336's and 1894's, I remain a big fan of the 22nd Century Rifleman - Mossberg 464 SPX!!

Heading out to the range today to confirm the accuracy. This is gong to be a hunter; so it must be accurate. I can work on the stock and scope while I wait for the BATF approval.

Point of aim often changes some with a suppressor, so if you don't know, you will have to zero the scope with the can when you get it if you plan to use it while hunting. Or at least check zero with some live rounds just to make sure it's not shifted dramatically. I have heard some claim that it shifts as much as 2-3 inches. a few inches doesn't mean much up close, but the farther you are away, could be a miss by a foot or more at longer distances, so it doesn't hurt just to check and make sure.

I haven't noticed a POI change on my guns using my F1 suppressor, though in all fairness, I don't use them for precision work either. At least not what I consider to be precision work.

I have also heard some claim that their accuracy improves with a silencer as well. Though in all fairness, I'm not sure if that's due to eliminating some of the flinching that some people do or for other reasons. I know I haven't seen an increase in accuracy using any of my cans, but they are much more pleasant to shoot.

Gotcha JohnA. I figure since it'll be months before I get to go outside with the suppressor, It is now general purpose. Today's sighting-in is due to the fact it is fresh out of the box. Early this morning I came across a new RISR stock. So I'm looking forward to that and being comfortable with a show-off-ey' scope or Red Dot.

It'll be fun just using the iron sights and throwing down some Hornady White Tail 30-30.

I have never before pieced together something for it's cool factor. So this may take me longer than usual to do. Function is still important. The goal is

1 - A suppressor I can afford. (This is NOT a high precision long range rifle. It is still a Hog Hunter. So no breaking of the bank).
2 - If one exists a Tactical 1-4X scope with over sized goofy (i.e. dorky) knobs. But still clear dawn and dusk (Really at 1.5X is probably the only setting).
3 - OR, some form of Tacticool Red Dot. Maybe a Cheap ACOG Clone-ish thing (that can withstand a 30-30).
4 - The Magpul CTR w/RISR stock.

Any thoughts on how to CLEANLY remove the ZMB logo. That thing is over-the-top.

Here is a recommendation for an affordable and versatile (while still good quality) suppressor. Just look at all the calibers that it will accept. If you're just going to have 1 suppressor, this would be the one I would choose.

http://libertycans.net/mystic-x/
Current Caliber List for the Mystic X:
17 M2 (RIMFIRE)
17 HMR (RIMFIRE)
17 WSM (RIMFIRE)
22 SHORT (RIMFIRE)
22 LONG (FULL AUTO)
22 LONG RIFLE (RIMFIRE)
22 MAGNUM (RIMFIRE)
22 Hornet
22 K Hornet
218 Bee
219 Zipper
221 FIREBALL
223 REM (See Note Below)
22 PPC (See Note Below)
mystic-x-core-2-1024x682.jpg

30 PPC (See Note Below)
30 Carbine
30 Herrett
30 Mauser
30 – 30 Winchester
32-20
32 S&W Long
32 H&R Magnum
4.6 X 30 HK (FULL AUTO)
5.56MM NATO
5.7 X 28 FN (FULL AUTO)
6MM PPC (See Note Below)
6MM BR (See Note Below)
7-30 Waters
9 X 18 (FULL AUTO)
9 X 19 (Base Caliber) (FULL AUTO)
9 X 21
9 X 23 (38 Super)
9 X 23 Winchester
9 X 25 Dillon
9 X 25 Super Auto G
300 BLACKOUT SUBSONIC 8” BARREL (FULL AUTO)
300 BLACKOUT SUPERSONIC. 8” BARREL
380 (FULL AUTO)
38 Special
38 S&W
357 SIG
357 MAGNUM
357 MAXIMIUM
357 Auto MAG
357 Herrett
338 Spectre
300/221 FIREBALL
300 Whisper©
308 Win- Subsonic
5.45x39MM Russian
6.5 Grendel (See Note Below)
6.8 SPC (See Note Below)
7.62 xX25 MM (FULL AUTO)
7,62 X 38 R
7.62 X 39 MM
--------------------------------------------------------------
And as far as a good quality red dot style magnification scope, the Millet DMS 1-4 scopes are nice, and come in at less than $200. If you look around, I'm sure you could find one for around $150'ish with some patience. Here's a factory reconditioned unit on ebay for $160 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Millet-1-4-...8&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=200999897410&rt=nc

Wow thanks, I'm starting the paper work this Monday so I will definitely research that suppressor.

It may be a while but I will post some pics as the parts arrive.

Update from range today. First firings.

Today went from mild panic to anticipated joy. At the range I've got a sight in target at 10' (it's an indoor range with the A/C on full blast[Orlando]). The single loaded Winchester 170 gr. went off with a bang. I did not get to see where it landed as I could not cycle the lever. It would not drop/release. Not sure what to do I make my first misdiagnosis. Extra force is NOT going to break it free. Upon inspection the cross-bolt safety is firmly in place with the bolt tigh up against it. I make my next wrong guess as I look at the rear firing pin and it is firmly at full extension. It will not budge.
Now I must remind myself over and over that the round has already gone bang. But I don't build the nerve to tap it too hard. I pack up my gear and head home.

Youtube power lunch finds me deciding to void the warranty. Well, that and the 55 minute hold on support. Luckily, I do not void the warranty. A little tap on the safety block, if that is what it is called, and it drops. I run a bunch of snap caps through and all is right with the world.
Back to the range. Single fire. Same stick. I tap the block down and go through a few round this way as I go through initial sighting. The target is now at 50' and my group are less than two inches. With each round fired the block drops a little easier. By the fifth round I can push it down with my thumb. By the tenth, It is cycling brilliantly. I sight in at the final 50' mark and load 5+1 round and am now going offhand. All five cycle with aplomb.

Next stop, my outdoor range and get zeroed at 75 yds.

I think we have another winner here. :D:):D

Oh! anyone know what is the threading on the 464 SPX barrel?

The threads are 1/2x28.

My Marlin 336 is due for a suppressor.
Had it chopped and barrel threaded.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation. As this is my first suppressor it is one less thing to worry about.

Interesting that you mention your 336. I've got a bunch of 336 parts and was considering the all black Champion furniture as the base for a more tactical 336. I see this addiction is going to get pricey. heh heh

I will be running a Form1 suppressor that is built using Valve retainers. Otherwise an AAC 762-SDN-6 will work nicely.

That is some sweet work guys. I don't know enough to roll my own. However,

The first step of the transformation has begun.
I have temporarily added XS Sight rail and today, an Aimpoint Pro. Hopefully, the new stock will arrive so that I can get a higher comb. Also, a couple more sights will arrive to see which one is the 'dirtiest'.
As you can see, I removed the flash hider. That was from the attempt to determine the threading. It'll get thrown back on until the suppressor arrives.

Not sure on the sling yet. While this is a 'for show' piece I still need functionality and I shoot off-hand in the traditional marksman way with a hasty sling mount as I hunt my hogs.

I don't think the Aimpont has enough oomph. it is perfect for function but form is lacking. There is not enough cringe factor.

20150506_160056_zpsqfbhln4r.jpg

20150506_160116_zpsmfkqrxgv.jpg

What kind of stock do you plan on swapping it for?

A traditional wooden stock, or some form of plastic stock or ????

The 464 SPX has a AR style extension tube. you can fit any style AR Stock (I have yet to confirm if it is milspec or commercial. You can replace the components with the wood stock. However, It would probably be easier just to buy a 464. That has the wood stock already.

The Mossberg 464 SPX is a 464 lever action rifle with the only difference being the swapping out of the forearm and the rear stock for an adapter, extension tube, and AR stock. The 'Zombie' edition is an additional annoying splash of green paint.

Hence my project is centered around finding the 464 SPX model that shipped with the flash hider [Model #41026] There is a model w/out that is number 41022. The primary objective is to plunk a suppressor in place of the flash hider. The rest is some silliness that does not hinder my hog hunting endeavors :D:D:D.

The ATI stock should slide off from the rear, and the magpul stock will install in reverse.

I imagine that the receiver would accept a traditional wooden stock.

edit:

I'm fairly certain the ATI tube would be a commercial diameter.

Or at least the ATI Strikeforce AK47 buttstock I have is in fact commercial.

If you can measure the tube, milspec is 1.14" diameter and commercial is 1.17"

Back