• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Anatomy Of A Shotshell...

If you click the edit button you will have access to add new ones as you create them. If you have trouble I will help edit it for you.

Thanks guys
I will actually. I can’t find low recoil stuff but I had a box of full power in my hand several times and just didn’t buy them. I really want to see how they pattern so I'll get some and take one apart. I might as well add to my pattern collection....I must have patterned 6 kinds of factory and 15 different reload combinations :lol:

Thanks for the info oli!!! Sacrific is a painful thing but sometimes necessary to get the point across. I hadn't cut into any of the copper plated shot yet and was wondering about the size uniformity. Thanks again...

Yep....he had them hosted by photo bucket, instead of uploading them directly to the site. I removed it from being a sticky.
Sorry fellas.

Might be worthwhile to restart this, with a more extensive list of shells. There's so many designs out there that it can be confusing. Just about every manufacturer has their own "special stuff". Different wads, fillers, crimps, shotcups, slug designs, plated and non-plated pellets, etc., etc. and different performance characteristics. Somebody could probably make a career out of it. ;)

I would like to see a list or discussion about the differant
shotshell designs of the many manufacturers. One specific thing I'm interested in is which ones have shot cups. No way I can try to even begin trying to find that by myself. Or maybe not.

I know that rio's #4 buck does not have a cup. Not a big deal if shot in very close range but beyond say 20 feet ? Hope to soon pattern test it.

If I might ask you to narrow your broad question; which "shotshell designs" are you particularly interested in?

Birdshot/Field loads/BuckShot?

I would say all. If folks could put in a bit of what they know then this could become good referance to go to. Kinda like take a shell apart and post a picture of the contents, etc.

I'll load this back up, got the pics on the computer still , just need to load them back to the internet

Might be worthwhile to restart this, with a more extensive list of shells. There's so many designs out there that it can be confusing. Just about every manufacturer has their own "special stuff". Different wads, fillers, crimps, shotcups, slug designs, plated and non-plated pellets, etc., etc. and different performance characteristics. Somebody could probably make a career out of it. ;)
got the pics back on photobucket

Back