• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The difference in these slugs?

PB127LRS - The TruBall Rifled Slug uses a simple plastic ball between the wad and slug to force extremely accurate results. http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... spx?id=395 It's a low velocity slug rated at 1300 fps.

LEB127LRS - Federal Law Enforcement Tactical 2 3/4" 1oz. Low Recoil TRUBALL Rifled Slug. Again rated at 1300 fps.

LE127RS -1oz Rifled Hydra Shok Hollow Point Slug 1300 fps.

The LE designation is for Law Enforcement and is advertised as low recoil due to a lower velocity at the muzzle. That's so they don't accidently shoot someone through three or four walls. Look here.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Shotshell_Data_Book.pdf

Personally, I don't see a truely significant difference in any of the three. Have a great day.

Paul

Pretty good explaination you provided, raven01750. Thank you. I'd add that the LE Tactical is colored bright light blue for ammo identification.

Thanks...

So the Federal Hydra Shok Slug LE127RS is good stuff? I'm on the fence. And was gonna pick up some 12 Gauge LE13200 Low Recoil Buckshot as well...this is good also?

That depends on what you are using it for? Home defense. Yep. Works great. Within 25 yards. Which is generally all you need to worry about. But if I was looking for Home Defense ammo? I would probably go with Buckshot. It just ups the odds of a hit. And in a high pressure situation of defending you or your families lives, you would want any and all advantages you can get. Especially if you don't have any formal training like Law Enforcement or Military gets or even taking one of the training camps on shotgun defense. Which I have not by the way. There are many others here that are experts due to their training that I just mentioned. But that would be another thread.

Hunting? Not so great. Well, I shoudn't say that. It works OK with a smooth bore barrel. Federals claims of accuracy out to 75 yards for their slugs isn't anything to really brag about. But the low velocity of the slugs is the real issue. There's just not enough energy left beyond that for any kind of big game. Have a great day.

Paul

The TruBall is def good stuff, they have the TruBall available in full power loads as well.

The LE13200 is excellent buckshot, but bear in mind at close range, due to it bein among the tightest patterning stuff I've seen, its a very precise load. We're talkin every pellet through a single 1" diameter hole within common HD ranges out to nearly 15 yards. Its not that it wouldnt be effective, but there is something to gain from a load that opens up somewhat and be able to gain the advantage of each individual .30 pellet.

I love havin the LE13200 on hand, I also keep a couple others close by.

No matter which way you go, be sure to pattern the load through your gun and at whatever ranges you would encounter.

Rossignol said:
The TruBall is def good stuff, they have the TruBall available in full power loads as well.

The LE13200 is excellent buckshot, but bear in mind at close range, due to it bein among the tightest patterning stuff I've seen, its a very precise load. We're talkin every pellet through a single 1" diameter hole within common HD ranges out to nearly 15 yards. Its not that it wouldnt be effective, but there is something to gain from a load that opens up somewhat and be able to gain the advantage of each individual .30 pellet.

I love havin the LE13200 on hand, I also keep a couple others close by.

No matter which way you go, be sure to pattern the load through your gun and at whatever ranges you would encounter.

Nice.....thanks man!

Should have mine weds!

Back