• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Silver Eagle and the Black Bomber

It looks fabulous.

I haven't taken the time for the charcoal smoker this week. Too busy.

But I did clean the smoker today. And bought some more big meat.

Ribs were quite good. Went off in 4 hours 1 hour faster than usual i think my heat got a lttle high at some point. Lady friend i had over said best she ever had. Hmm danger danger dont want her hangin around like a stray cat too much messin up my man world.

Yeah sounds like she's not the right one. Not to say that she might not be right for some things.

They're all different that's for sure. I sure got lucky.

Mine is off on a graduation party for a niece, & I'm home sanding on the boat. Well I'm on sort of a beer break...

The truth is, I do most all of the cooking around here, and I do most of the grocery shopping too. My wife works full-time and makes a nice living, and so I don't force her to cook for me and she doesn't force me to do dishes or pick up the poop from her cats and dogs. I have taken her in a sport plane and a hot air balloon, and across the mountains about as fast as we could go on my 90 inch motorcycle. She owns two rifles & two pistols, and she's not a bad shot for a rookie.

You don't find a woman like that everyday bro. She does like that awful wheat beer, but did I mention she has a black belt in karate?

Oh i had 30 yrs with the best shes career LEO still on the job. Weve parted ways but still good friends. Now im retired and free never giving that up. Im this guy.
29591789.jpg
I have some friends i share time with on occasion but thats limit Im now a lone wolf.

Look at the nice money muscle there on the end. I would hesitate to marinate that part.

Well the Weber Smokey Mountain is living up to its reputation. I stoked it up with about 12 pounds of Kingsford and a bunch of lump charcoal + some apple chunks and Hickory chunks.

I did 8 big sausages and 8 pound pork butt. As for the bit of pig filet there, for 2 bucks a pound I'm going to enjoy it plenty.

I took the sausages off after about 6 hours and looked at the roast. Carmelization was low and there was no significant bark. We had smoked sausage sandwiches for lunch, with Swiss cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, mayo & spicy mustard, on lightly toasted sesame buns.

If you feel like you're getting fat just reading this, do what I do: go out and sand on your old boat until you get skinny again. Or run out of sandpaper on Sunday night again, which is where I am now.

So I opened the Weber one time at 4.5 hrs to turn sausages & once at about 6 hours to take them off & I closed it up fast. It had gone for 6 hours at a steady temperature of about 215 degrees. I had a good stall at 165 and it lasted about two and a half hours. I was busy sanding on the boat so I didn't really pay much attention. Plus I was already well fed, so in no hurry for the pork roast.

After 10 hours the temperature had declined to about 205 degrees and I poked up the fire. It stabilized quickly at 225. Most of the water was evaporated from the pan. It started absolutely full of hot water.

After 11 hours I peeked at it real quick. I just cracked the lid and looked underneath. Bark was not at the meteorite state yet.

At 12 hours at the meat is 183°. The smoker is still holding 225, and I'm holding out a bit longer.

It's hard to believe this thing is still cooking after 12 hours and only one poking. I seasoned it heavily when I first got it and it paid off.

Oh yeah I used a few big lumps of Cowboy brand lump charcoal, but most of this is a modern Kingsford charcoal and it works great.

Last edited:
Its 8:15 now and I lit this thing at about 7:45 a.m.

It took right off too & the meat has been on since 8 a.m. I can't believe it . . . this is pretty incredible.
14954225518821921554879.jpg

This thing's been going 12:30 hours now. . . . Look at that dial!
I'm having a secondary stall at 183, and she's still smokin...

This was the "before" shot:
20170521_083553_resized(1).jpg

I made a mustard/dry rub. I used less red pepper this time and more onion flakes. Unfortunately I was out of garlic.

When I went to bed at midnight last night the smoker had only dropped down to 210 degrees. I gave the bowl/grate a little kick without opening anything up and then went to bed. This a.m. I opened the lid to find a well-jerkyed chunk of pork tenderloin still stuck on grill.

I had that for breakfast. When I got up at 7:30 that grill was still warm. This is gotta be the neatest thing ever for making jerky.

I have another small pork tenderloin in the fridge which I already marinated in Applewood and bacon goo. I have 13 lbs lump charcoal and a bag of applewood.

I used to do those regularly on the propane grill over a little smoker tray full of apple wood & a roasting pan full of beans and onions, which came out great.

I think this one is destined for Applewood jerky.

I love pork loin (not tenderloin) on a REALLY hot grill, sometimes sliced into 1-1/4" "steaks" and seared really quickly. Medium Well in the center.

If you could help me learn how to do such a non-marbled piece of pork such as a loin on a slow smoker I would love to see your technique on how to keep it from drying out over time. I love smoked pork and I can get whole and half pork loins very reasonably.

Actual "tenderloin" for me has been even harder to smoke slowly since there is virtually no fat or collagen at all to melt and keep the meat moist.

I still have a lot to learn.

And CMQ, if I remember correctly when you mentioned looking into smokers I stated that the WSM is so rock steady on keeping it's temp that you would not believe the thermometer even after eight, ten and twelve hours.

I just have a simple 22 weber kettle not a true dedicated smoker but i can set it up properly and do some good smoked meat. But yall really have me looking hard at getting a wsm. I been researching pretty hard seeing good results.

You will not regret buying the WSM.

As for pork loins, I just roasted them on a propane grill, over a pan of water or a pan of beans with lots of liquid.

But that method takes two hours at the most.

Pork loin? tenderloin? I don't know the difference really. I am no butcher. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here.

My intent was to dry one out. I was going to make it into jerky in the smoker

Well it's raining today so no fishing, no working on the boat, no skating, and no shooting.

But I fired up the smoker and put on a couple nice tri-tips & they're smoking away.
20170531_083655_resized.jpg

Back