• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Silver Eagle and the Black Bomber

I salted these heavily but I did not inject them with Brine before I cooked them, and next time I will.

I let these smoke for about six and a half hours then I wraped them in foil & towels, and let them sit for a couple hours. I had already made it thru the stall. Because these Cuts were thin compared to a pork butt, and because I had not injected extra brine into them, the stall was short, and the internal temperature went up to 180.

I thought they had dried a little too much so I put juice in with the foil wrap and let them reconstitute. I don't have any photos of the finished meat before we cut it up but it was pretty good. It was only the primest Choice tri-tip and not the choicest Prime tri-tip, unfortunately, but still very good for the price.

This time I used applewood and Hickory and I think I will use less hickory and more applewood next time. I might also get some mesquite as around here tri-tip is typically smoked over grapewood or Mesquite.

I put on 2 racks of ribs this morning, and a pan of beans. These are St.Louis style ribs and they have been Aging in my fridge for a few weeks now.

~10am.
I should have started earlier, but I had a late night working on the boat.

I don't have a rib rack so I used these stainless steel BBQ lassos. I usually burn the ends and I'm hoping by overlapping them like this the ends will not burn.
20170614_111300_resized.jpg
These are 16 bean mixed beans, with salt, pepper brown sugar, maple syrup and one med onion. I went easy on the seasonings because all the drippings from the ribs will wind up in these beans.
20170614_111217_resized_1.jpg

This is about six hours later:
20170614_144449_resized(1).jpg

I need to go take those beans off now!

Aw shucks buddy... I wish you were within dinner invitin' distance.

20170614_181525_resized(1).jpg
After they shrunk up a little bit I un rolled the ribs and gave them a few more hours on the grill.

I shouldn't have worried about those beans as they weren't close to done after 9 hours. Usually about 4 hours to 5 hours on the stove and they are well done. Anyhow I wraped meat up with some barbecue sauce and a couple shots of bourbon and let it rest for an hour while I cooked asparagus and garlic bread and tried to finish those beans in a skillet.

There was about half a cup of grease on the surface that I skimmed off first, but they took another hour of simmering on the stove before they were just barely done. They will have to get re-cooked tomorrow.

I haven't kept up with my journal of culinary Adventures lately, but there have been several various pork roasts and things done on the silver eagle & the black bomber.

Today I chopped up some hickory lumps with my new axe and put a 7 pound tri-tip on the WSM. I ran it for only about 4 hours at 265°F. That was enough to make it medium in the center and well done at the three tips.

I marinated it with a mustard rub and then I put Valentina's chili lime seasoning over the whole thing on one side and on the other side I put my own concoction of ground chili, green white and black pepper, salt and other stuff. I also injected the whole thing with brine.

I also did some smoked sausages "just because." We seem to be very fond of these little vein cloggers.

This photo was shot about two hours in...
20170722_155803.jpg
I had just flipped it over at this point.

Finally I wrapped it in foil and put it in towels and let it rest for about 30 minutes before I sliced it and it was pretty good.

Your new axe made the lump wood chunks cook in SMOKE and BBQ flavors so well...... Where have you been all this time Mr Axe????

Nitesite, I honestly don't know how I've struggled on all these years with just a crude Tru-temper root axe and one largely ceremonial tomahawk.

I discovered that my missed-named Tru-Temper root axe was actually made by some unknown Brazilian company.

I'm pretty sure this came from Ace Hardware so I guess you can't trust anything anymore.

I'm not sure but I posted some photos of the axe and the markings in the camp axe thread.

Well I put two eight pound pork butts on the Back Bomber, and this time I used Kingsford charcoal and Mesquite lumps. I didn't have any plain mustard and so these were rubbed with spicy brown mustard and injected with brine. I rubbed them with herbs and spices and lots of dried onion flakes.

Here we are just getting started
20170806_115203.jpg
And here we are 9 hours later.
20170806_192623_resized.jpg

I pulled those off add an internal temperature of 168 degrees, wrapped them in foil and then in towels, and let them rest for about 30 minutes.

The Mesquite is a very Western thing but I think it's great for tri-tips and pork butts. It's milder than Hickory & it has its own distinct taste. It grows wild in the hills around here.

Last edited:
Hey CMQ,

Right now I'm doing a 9-3/4 pound Boston butt overnight on my 18" WSM.

Yellow mustard slather, dry rub, lots of Kingsford and some local hickory wood chunked up. It's holding really steady at 250* so I'm thinking about 12-13 hours.

If I didn't have to work an overtime shift on Sunday this was my plan: to start it on Sunday and finish it while watching the world turn dark for an hour on Monday and eat the heck out of it.

The wife and adult kids all voted for loaded stuffed BBQ baked potatoes with all the cholesterol clogging stuff. I'm all in.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...08006580108724497&selectedIndex=18&ajaxhist=0

CMQ,

Would you be interested in a trade of local hickory or pecan for some of your local mesquite that you say grows wild in the hills around you?

If you're looking for a small quantity, I can mail you a bag of Mexican lumps, but local wood or large quantities are more difficult.

It grows wild around here in the hills, but we live in an area where you can't collect it legally. Because of air pollution restrictions on burning we don't have real woodlots around here where you can just go buy a cord of wood either. They all just kind of got run out of business like the coal industry back east. (The town I live in only exists because of wood by the way. It was the downhill end of the giant log flume from Shaver Lake. )

We have a new Ace hardware store one mile from our house. I just buy mesquite chunks there prepackaged, harvested in Mexico. :confused:

This is from a bag of apple wood chips packaged in Texas, and kiln-dried to remove any pests.
15031593594941172179194.jpg

Of course because of the known health risk we won't be able to BBQ anymore once California takes over the health insurance industry.

20170930_140401_resized_1.jpg
I did this tri-tip today on the WSM.
I rubbed it heavily with Weber mesquite smoke seasoning, which is mostly dried onion flakes, red pepper and salt.

This was a USDA choice Angus tri-tip and it was $6 a pound.

I smoked it with Cowboy brand charcoal, with hickory and mesquite wood for about 5 hours at 220°F & the bark came out pretty nice. The meat was very tender and tasty

This was a big improvement over last night's dinner. I did this tri-tip today specifically because I didn't want to eat the leftovers.

Yesterday I did a Blarney Stone flat cut corned beef brisket, as a New England boiled dinner, in a big pot with potatoes, onions, cabbage, carrots and celery. I cook this 5 or 6 times a year.

This is a brand of corned beef I have never bought before and I don't think I will buy it again. That was a very lean tough old range cow that brisket came from. After 6 hours it was really just edible, and the meat was grainy and fairly tasteless.

I have not yet done a brisket on the WSM and I think I'm going to try one, but all I ever bought is pre-packaged corned beef. I usually get Shenson's.

I'm not sure what to think about doing a brisket on the grill.

Last edited:
Back