• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Silver Eagle and the Black Bomber

I thank you gentlemen warmly, and if you have any advice about buying prepping and smoking a brisket I would be grateful to hear it.

I've dressed a little game in my time but I am no butcher, & mostly qualified to fillet fish. What I don't know about meat is enormous.

All you need to know about smoking a brisket in a WSM is at Amazingribs.com

All the important stuff can be perfect, and yet cut it up wrong and it is totally screwed. I'd study on that cuz it is important.

They are pretty forgiving cuts of meat. Only minimal trimming might be required.

Franklin BBQ (the most popular brisket joint in America) has lots of free info on his site, he is happy to share. But AmazingRibs is more detailed.

Franklin uses oak for his smoked brisket.

Red Oak is the other thing that's popular here for smoking aside from Mesquite. I've actually used red oak for smoking myself but I didn't buy it in the bag. It was leftovers from a piece of furniture I cut up.

It was our 28th anniversary yesterday and I fired up the smoker and did these big steaks.
20171012_091033_resized.jpg
No I don't have two wives. I cooked three steaks because there were three in the package. ;)

I used three different seasonings on the steaks and we'll see how I like them. The first was Dave's Texas Pit and I thought that was pretty fine with sort of a Texas Chili beginning and a Memphis finish.

Mmmmmmm.....:D

CMQ~

I have a ten pound pork shoulder in my WSM tonight, over Kingsford and axe split hickory wood. Mustard slathered and dry rubbed.

I buy pork shoulders that have really nice "money muscles" on them "just because" they cost the same as the next one but it matters, and this one when I pared away the fat and laid that fabulous meat off to the side.... Oh Hell. It is almost as thick as a Hillerich and Bradsby hickory baseball bat. Best money muscle I have ever bought. The fat striations and marbling are museum quality.

Two hours in,,,, twelve to go. Maybe it'll be fantastic.

You will be eating high off the hog tomorrow, then!

I still have half a pork butt in the freezer from the last go around. But I went shopping the other day and spent a lot of money on fancy sausages, Prime tri-tips, corned beef brisket, and some marinated free range chicken.

I normally do a corned beef in the crock pot but I might try doing this one on the smoker. I'm thinking to parboil some potatoes and onions and put them in a pan on the lower Shelf and then put the meat above them.

Once the meat quits dripping, the vegetables will be done (if I have timed everything right.)

I had so much extra meat cooked and put up, plus more fresh stuff that I had bought, that I have not run the smoker in over two weeks.

nitesite said:
. . . as thick as a Hillerich and Bradsby hickory baseball bat. . . .

I had a Louisville Slugger and for some reason my mom picked out one for me that was particularly fat. None of the other kids had a bat that fat.

I tbink one of my daughters wound up with it.

So how is that smoked pork buddy?

I fired up the Weber Smokey Mountain an hour ago and threw on some sausages for a late lunch.

In a little bit I'm going to put on a couple of dry rubbed, aged, USDA prime, tri-tips. Ummmmm.... these cost way too much, but I'm having some old friends over and the cost is not an object on such an occasion.

I'll let them tri-tips smoke for about 4-1/2 hours and then I'll take them out and wrap them with a couple shots of Southern Comfort and let them rest for maybe 2 hrs in a warm box.

Obligatory barbecue photo

10516.jpeg

One is done with a garlic Mesquite rub and the other one is done with a garlic shiracha rub.

I'm pretty sure the red one is the shiracha. ;)

20171108_195713_resized.jpg

I serve this up with tossed salad and baby potatoes with mushroom gravy.

Back