• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

Re: New 930 SPX- Not Happy!!!

Still waiting for return label!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may just have to call Javier. The more and more I think about how Rodger treated me (I was really nice and patient) the more steamed I am getting. Heck, this is a LE shotgun, you would think that they would not want to get a bad name in the LE field. :cry: :x

Damn,

I agree 100%. I'm getting extremely tired of reading these kind of issues and the fact that it doesn't get any better worries me for the future of the brand. Truly wish I could help in some way, but calling Javier is probably your best bet. Good luck and keep us posted...

Go figure, it was like they were reading this thread. Received a FedEx return label today in the mail. She is off to Mossberg!!!! Lets see what happens. Hopefully good will come out of this. I will keep you posted

Finally some good news.

Still wouldn't hurt to call and light a fire under 'em though...

Sorry to hear of your troubles SGT45, but I can't say I'm shocked. After the experience I've had with my Mossburg 930, I'd recommend you get a refund if possible. If you want a well manufactured firearm, look to another brand. I'm done with Mossburg.

Keep us updated on how your 930 comes back to you and if you want me to deliver a letter just send one to my email at dan@mossbergowners.com and I will make sure its read.

Still waiting for her to return :shock: You would think that it would have been back by now or I would have heard something. Heck, its only a duty shotgun- what would be their rush?

Steamdonkey- I am really wondering if we made a mistake!!

Dan H.- I will craft a letter soon- we are in the middle of budget time- I am still trying to explain the purchase of shotguns and the most expensive one not here and being returned to the manufacturer.

SGT45 said:
I am really wondering if we made a mistake!!

I bet you do some Google Fu before your next purchase, these problems ....they aren’t new. You rolled the dice when you bought a 930 SPX. At least Mossberg is consistent in that they don’t care who you are once your check clears, too bad because they used to be a more stand up outfit

SGT45 said:
Steamdonkey- I am really wondering if we made a mistake!!

I think we may have. I'm now thinking I should have saved a few more bucks and picked up a used Benelli. :( I spent 2-3 months going the rounds with Mossburg's service department (Maverick Arms) with the hope that we could get my 930 to stop chewing up mag tubes, but that didn't pan out. It looks like I need to be less of a stickler about preventing needless metal on metal wear. :x

I called Mossberg (Maverick???) today to speak to Javier, No one answered the phone, even the operator didn't answer- I left voice mail. They never called back. I will report my experience with Roger if someone would answer the phone- I tried several numbers. I will try contacting the Mossberg rep. on this forum. This is really starting to get frustrating- Now I can't even speak to anyone. But, I will speak to someone in Charge soon!!!!!

SGT45 said:
I called Mossberg (Maverick???) today to speak to Javier, No one answered the phone, even the operator didn't answer- I left voice mail. They never called back. I will report my experience with Roger if someone would answer the phone- I tried several numbers. I will try contacting the Mossberg rep. on this forum. This is really starting to get frustrating- Now I can't even speak to anyone. But, I will speak to someone in Charge soon!!!!!

That's odd, I at least got the opportunity to talk to someone after waiting on hold for a while, not that it helped much. What's strange to me is it seems you can ship your gun, have it "repaired" and sent back in about the same time it takes to contact Mossberg and get them to generate a return shipping label for you. On second thought I'm really not that surprised as I've been left with the impression that Maverick Arms is a high volume sweat shop operation that employs marginally skilled laborers to process warranty issues as quickly as possible. Ideally they'd have experienced gunsmiths to examine and remedy the problems with your firearm but I'm fairly sure that's not the case. If your gun has a unique problem that doesn't have a canned fix then it might be a while before you end up with a properly functioning firearm in your hands.

Well, I received her today. They put a new barrel on her and straightened the mag tube. I was very busy at work but I did do a initial check on her. The sights appear to be straight and not canted. I put her on a table upside down and there was no rock (from side to side) either. Mag tube appeared to be straight too. Will investigate further and report tomorrow. Hopefully all is well.

Man, I'm glad to see you got it back and all appears well so far.

I'm looking forward to your follow-up...

Good news. Glad they made it right for you. Keep us posted when you hit the range.

I'm on my second 930 Blackwater in as many months.

What a large piece of sheyt! (both of them...)

I bought mine based on owning a model 9200 that has run flawlessly for me and of course all of the positive reviews I saw on the 930.

Aside from general build/finish quality that I wont get into, I believe most of my problems have been spring related. One spring I had was 40" in length (.036" wire) and the other was 26" in length (.048" wire).

The .048" x 26" spring seems to make more sense (it's not as long and "spindlely" as the thinner, longer, "PITA to install" spring) but both of them exhibit feeding issues...

First shell on a fully loaded tube often either doesn't feed at all or "double" feeds two rounds to the elevator.

So far the second unit is working better, but I doubt I'll ever use it/rely on it anywhere except the range. Home defense is absolutely out, if anyone ever broke into my home I'd have to ask the intruder to "time-out" while I dealt with feeding issues... : /

BTW, Mossberg has yet to respond to my service request, it's been MONTHS...

The Choate tube extension on the first one didn't even fully seat onto the tube causing the barrel and everything else to float out of the receiver by about .05"

Sorry, clearly I'm ranting at this point...

My Question is this, by how much should the springs be cut down by? (referencing the first post in this thread)

How to tell if you have a newer version 930 SPX

Hello fellow Mossbergers (???). How do you tell if you have the newer generation 930 SPX? I have noticed my serial number is stamped below the trigger pins, while other pics online I see them stamped directly in between them. Thanks for any insight you may give. Cheers!

P.S. It is directly below the posterior pin if you consider the front sight anterior.

Re: How to tell if you have a newer version 930 SPX

I called Mossberg and emailed Norma M. at mossberg and they wanted to see how it was stamped. I sent both a picture and I got a response from Norma who stated that the serial numbers are always on the left hand side but not at any specific locations. Again, all the 930's I have seen are stamped in the same place. I am still waiting to hear back from service.

I did find out that it was made in 2013. =)

Back