• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

Re: 930 SPX Serial Number Issue?

I looked at my friends 590A1 and found that the serial number is stamped in the same place as my 930! WTH?

Re: 930 SPX Serial Number Issue?

promiseofwar said:
I looked at my friends 590A1 and found that the serial number is stamped in the same place as my 930! WTH?

You've been marked! Be afraid, be very afraid Buwahahahahahahahahha.....

:lol: :lol:

SPX Question...

I have a SPX Blackwater manufactured in May of 2012, does anyone know what Gen this might be or if it would be the older thinner barrel or the newer heavier barrel? my sights seem to be straight and I cannot see a color on the gas spring either....any information woud be appreciated!! thanks

I too just got my new 930 JM model. Excited for the 3 gun competition for tomorrow. Read a lot of forums and most said clean it before shooting it to eliminate feed problems. Took it apart and just when I was removing the barrel i noticed a black piece of plastic. It came from the forearm retainer. Looked closer and it was in about 5 pieces!!! Haven't even loaded a shell in it yet. I hope this is not future of my 930..........a big disappointment.

Howdy Bullet.

If you can post up a side profile pic of your front sight post we can tell you what generation you have...

My new 930 SPX Blackwater will arrive next Friday and I'm hoping it's one of the "no problems" guns.

I'll remember to clean it well before shooting and look for the problem areas while it's apart.

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy. Don't forget a pic or two once you get it.:)

Welcome aboard and congrats!

You've got the right idea. A little TLC before your first trip will go a long way. Keep us posted...

Spent 2 hours cleaning the new 930.

While doing that, I felt all internal moving parts a "feel" for sharp/rough edges and lightly applied emory paper to smooth them out. Then applied a light coat of CLP to everything.

Hoping for a sunny day tomorrow for initial break-in range work. Bringing a couple boxes of high-base rounds and 00 Buck loads for proper cycling.

photo

Looking at Saturday for the break-in range session.

But I had a problem with my 930's manual safety that I hadn't heard anyone else report. It was very stiff to slide initially, then when I replaced the original with an aluminum-extended safety button, it refused to slide at all, rendering the gun useless (stuck on safe).

I finally found that thin-plastic shim under the old button and moved it to the new one's bottom. It could then be slid with "effort". I used a tiny piece of sandpaper on a pencil eraser to smooth the top of the bar that moves up from the trigger and replaced again, slide it back-and-forth a few dozen times and it now functions mostly normal. That detent-ball is a PIA to keep in place when reassembling! :eek:

I also tightened all sight screws with Loc-tite to secure them. Now to go SHOOT!

Invest in a set of small files, several ten gauge bore mops (For polishing the inside of the magazine tube), and some Flitz metal polish. Use the file (go slowly) and remove the burr. Use a cordless drill and chuck in a piece of cleaning rod and screw the 10 gauge mop into the cleaning rod. Place a dab or two of Flitz metal polish on the mop. Insert the mop into the magazine tube and turn on the drill and move the mop back and forth in the tube. When done, thoroughly clean the magazine tube (Do not lube). I did this for about ten minutes and have had zero feeding issues (From the magazine) since. I also polished the outside area of the magazine tube where the piston makes contact. After each 250 rounds, I use Flitz metal polish to remove the carbon build up on the magazine tube. I also patch out the magazine tube after 250 rounds.

Sounds good, I've ordered the 10 ga bore-mop and I already have tubes of FLITZ.

If someone wanted to "lube" their mag tube, I'd think a micro fine dry molly-lube might be OK. I have used it to slick up the chambers of my Cowboy Action 2x2 shottie, makes the empties fly out for quick reloads!

I avoid lube around ammo when possible. I also avoid using lube in magazines and magazine tube due to debris that can be trapped by the lube. Nothing better than experience. Try lubing the magazine tube and see how things go. You can always hose out the magazine tube with an aerosol cleaner and start fresh if the lube thing fails for you.

That's why I use Frog Lube.

It's a dry film that keeps the mag springs moving smoothly through the tube or mag body. There's no excess liquid or oil to seap into the ammo. I've had no issues with it attracting dirt and grime and have seen no increase in fouling buildup either. Of course I'm not out in the sanbox, but for range use and daily carry the stuff has proven most useful...

Back