• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

Re: The troubled history of the 930 SPX

Wow! I'm surprised to hear they still have these issues!

Did you contact the dealer? I dont know if they can help or not, with a refund or exchange if they have another? If not, I wouldnt do anything else with out being able to talk to Mossberg. I will even try to contact them myself. Dont know if it will help, but will try to see if we can nail down their prefered means/channnels of handling something like this, how to expedite the process.

We'll get you taken care of somehow!

Sorry to hear you are having some bad luck with your Mossberg 930SPX. Mossberg generally takes 1-2 weeks to respond to emails fyi. As for the holiday message I would have been a bit irked as well waiting with no chance of actually getting through to anyone. I assure you that Mossberg will definitely take care of your issue when you finally get in touch with them.

As an aside, Brad I think that would be a great idea to set up with Mossberg a "sticky" detailing the preferred method of dealing with issues such as this one.

Thanks Guys for the help and Support. My local dealer closed for the Holidays yesterday aswell. Trust me....I 'll be on the phone 1st thing Monday morning with Mossberg. I have no doubt they will make things right. I will update the status Monday evening. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you and yours too! We'll be here, let us know what happens!

I would try to run a round file or Dremel with a fine grinder/polisher to smooth out the burr. See if that helps. If it is just a burr and the mag tube isn't out of round that should fix it.
ETA: I've heard of this happening, and it isn't new or limited to Mossbergs. What you describe as far as the follower hanging above the burr sounds symptomatic of that issue. I would bet that once the burr is knocked down/removed it will smooth out and function fine. Shouldn't be a big deal.
As for CS email with Mossberg unless they have improved they stink at it. Worse than phone calls. Another continuing problem with OFM that I don't know will ever get straightened out.

I agree with m24. Knock that burr down and try it. It should only take a couple of minutes to clean it up.

I used the dremel on it yesterday and that seems to have taken care of the bur. Area is still kinda rough though. i dont have a polishing kit for my dremel, so gonna run by the Home Depot today and get one to try and smooth it out a bit.

Sweet! Good work, and def let us know how it turns out!

Alrighty, I just got off the phone with Mossberg.

They said to call;
1 800 363 3555

As long as the firearm is "fairly new" (I apologize, I didnt ask for a clarification on that) their preference is to send a prepaid label for shipping via Fed-Ex. Most cases, turn around is 2 to 3 weeks. In the event something is needed and has to be ordered, they'll contact the owner.

With FTF issues, she said most commonly the gas ring needs to be lubricated. I know this isnt your case, but apparently it is a common one, more so I think with the 930 combo field/secruity when barrels are being switched.

First of all, Thanks for all of your help. Your support is greatly appreciated!
I think I've gotten it smoothed down now so follower moves freely down the tube. Hopefully Saturday Im FINALLY gonna get to the range. I've already got the range bag packed with 200+ shells to run thru it and make sure all is good. I will update how it goes. Hopefully there wont be a need to contact mossberg.

Hopefully not, but if so, let me know and I'll do it! :)

Soo, first post, not too familiar w/ things like 'thread hijacking', etc, so Im gonna keep the first one as simple as I can . Has anyone purchased a 930 SPX recently/in 2011(the ones with the new charging handle I was told is supposed to be a giveaway as it's pretty recent)? If so, do any of you guys or gals know what the deal is with the current status of any of the past problems popping back up with the current (think it's the third "generation"?) 930 SPX? I, OF COURSE, put one of the 930 SPX's, (rifle stock, not PG if that makes a diff?) on layaway thru Budsgunshop (it only took about a year!!) sight unseen, I know, I know... BUT I didnt know about ALL the issues (I just FELL IN LOVE with it at Dicks, 'the everymans FN SLP' and then they NEVER HAD MORE when I'd ask) then started hearing the problems with the earlier ones, maybe still(??) with canted front sights, rail screw/thread overtorquing and stripping, mag tube problems FROM THE FACTORY! How the heck did they let THAT MANY GO IN THAT CONDITION? I at least got cheered up that a lot of you DIDNT have to deal w/these issues! I contacted Buds and Mossberg, and was told that all the problems had been 'fixed', but I still wrote buds like three times telling them I (lordy I hope I'm just in OCD mode with this!!) NEED THEM TO CHECK THE FRONT SIGHT so IF there is a problem I can contact Mossy ASAP to find their preffered methods of dealing w/these 'possible problems' (those of you that did have to send back the 930 SPX to get fixed, how long did ur turnaround time take? And did they come back with any problems?), as it has taken WAY LONGER to actually find one for sale NEW(they stay in stock for 1-2 days.. MAX! And figure a brand new one would have the best chance) than any possible CS issues would take! Im honestly a little more concerned with the rail threads and mag ext. But I cant really ask them to dissassemble the rail, mag tube, etc as it took a bit just to get Derek to confirm that he would check the front post before shipment. But, I understand things happen, and if anyone has the 'freshest scoop' on the situation I would REALLY APPRECIATE IT, so I can put my mind 'at ease' either knowing that they are indeed up on the Q.C., or that I MIGHT have another month or so till I get it back functional in all ways? I appreciate ANY CURRENT INFO, the more comments the better!!! THANK YOU!! Steve

And MUCH THANKS GOES TO M24SHOOTER!!! Thank you VERY MUCH for your multiple in depth reviews and dang near accessory DATABASE! I already know what I want it to look like, and what is all going on the 930 SPX when I get it and the Aimpro Tri-Rail, thanks a bunch! Also, along w/my previous questions in my above post, can anyone confirm that the newest/current production 930 SPX's have a thicker walled barrel? Again, THANK YOU ALL, THIS PLACE IS A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE!!!
Steve

Steve, I have yet to hear anything about a thicker walled bbl on the 930.

I cant in my estimation see it in production, though I've been wrong many times before.

Steve-
Thanks, I'm glad you found the review helpful.
As far as the QC, Mossberg really dropped the ball on this one.
There are still some quirky shotguns getting out: I've seen one that had the new bolt handle and front sling mount but a first gen barrel: thin profile, short FSB, no pedestal, and it was canted.
There are three gens of barrels: thin profile with low FSB is first gen; thin profile with low FSB on top of a welded pedestal is second gen; thick profile with new FSB that has a taller sight blade shelf is third gen.
The first and third gen front sights look very similar: the differences are the location of the roll pin and the taller sight blade shelf and protective ears. The barrel on the third gen is much thicker and closer to the A1 barrel.
A lot of the old problems have been worked out, but unfortunately there are some new ones. The mag tube extensions have shown some bad QC from Choate, and the followers and springs have gotten hung up in the transition area. Some of these are problems on the mag tube around the threaded area, and a simple lapping with a round file will fix it.
Choate also has had a problem with sending the wrong spring length on the extension assemblies that they provide to OFM. These spring are hugely overlong and need to be trimmed or the shells will be under too much spring tension to allow the stop to release the rounds.
Otherwise, most of the issues have been worked out and the shotgun is not having anywhere near the level of problems that it originally did.

m24shooter said:
The barrel on the third gen is much thicker and closer to the A1 barrel.

There you have it! I'm happy to admit my ignorance. :)

M24, THANK YOU :D !! At least I know what to look for as far as the newest barrel profile(due to the pictured comparison of your, first gen barrel ?, compared to your 590A1 heavy walled, again THANK YOU! And I prefer a thicker barrel on a possible HD shotgun, so glad to hear that!) since Buds got the shipment I am getting mine out of around late January and was in stock for around 2-3 days, it SHOULD be the newest sight, barrel, charging handle, etc. So if it's not I know to call OFM ASAP, hopefully it'll be 'all gravy', the way every new firearm should be! I hope they sorted out the pic rail mount/screws also, well Ive waited a year so if I have to wait another few weeks-a month it's not COOL, but what else can I do, they ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!! Well, Im just gonna tell myself it will need to go to Mossy just in case it actually does, that way I wont be all building my hopes up. As long as they either HAVE fixed, or sort me out with all the newest upgrades the 3rd gen is cited as having (cant believe this is something we're having to STILL worry about, and after like 3 years!! C'est la vie!!), I'll still get my 930 SPX as it was told to me it will come, hope it does but accept the fact it might not. And for a $550 BADBOY(when it's put together as it should), semi 12 w LPA's, pic rail... basically a Mossberg 'SLP', Im good. Im excited to know that I will either be getting, or waiting to receive a THICKER walled barrel with the new sights and charging handle! BUT, am I wrong in thinking IF I should have to deal w/these probs, I should NOT HAVE TO PAY SHIPPING?? Also, what exactly should I be looking for on the rail, loose screw, off center, etc...like is it an obvious mistake I'll recognize easily? And if anyone has a picture of the newest front sight design so I can know EXACTLY what to look for I would really appreciate it!! Glad I didnt order this as my one and only go-to HD gun without plenty of backups(!!) as I may be without it for a while (a point Mossy WILL HEAR if I have to mess with any fixes/warranty service on a new gun, crazy) I'll let you all know how theyre 'dishing out' the newest 930 SPX's when I get it wed-friday, Ill post pics if I can figure out how, hope theyre GOOD/IN SPEC PICS! Ive learned SOOOO MUCH IN ONE DAY FROM YOU GUYS!!! THANKS! ;)
Steve

Rossignol said:
m24shooter said:
The barrel on the third gen is much thicker and closer to the A1 barrel.

There you have it! I'm happy to admit my ignorance. :)

Haha, I prefer people who might be wrong every once in a while but will admit it, vs. know it alls that'll stare you in the face just HARPING ON about how correct they are, even if theyre not! I appreciate your honesty and dont forget you did try and help me out, I appreciate THAT even more!!! I am SOOO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE!! After I get this 930 SPX all squared away and dressed up, I'll probably be adding another Mossberg, this one'll be the 590A1, unless the 590A1 SPX HAS NEVER HAD PROBLEMS TO THIS DEGREE(which I havent heard, but could be?) as it is my favorite 590, to join my ever faithful Win 1300 Defender.... Such a great defense shotty, but I want and have wanted this 930 SPX, so Ill bear what I have to to get it! It's like my '67 Chevelle, its got TOO MUCH POTENTIAL to NOT be 'sorted out'!!! I'm looking at it like a possible hike that, while it could be "adventurous", I would MUCH RATHER DRIVE!! AND GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AND THEIR 930 SPX's, MAY THE PROBLEMS CEASE AND NEVER RETURN!! :D
Steve

Steve, I too hope it all goes well for you. I plan to have the 930 SPX one day my self, and I share your concerns.

O.K. guys.... :D I THINK I LUCKED OUT?!?! I dont have a 590A1 to compare the barrel thickness, but it is thicker than my Winchester 1300 Defender, if that says anything? The front sight is straight, mag tube seems good(spring has proper tension, chucks the last shell perfectly, about to take it down and check out it's "guts', I HAVENT BEEN THIS EXCITED ABOUT A FIREARM SINCE I GOT MY FIRST AR, or PTR-91, etc!!) it looks kinda like the original 'first gen' sight, but it does look like the posts and maybe the actual front sight "blade/fiber optic" portion is higher, has the new charing handle, NON CANTED front sight post, sling swivel IN THE FRONT(!!)} And it FELLS GREAT!! It shoulders PERFECTLY FOR ME, and the sights are actually at the perfect height for me!! Was wondering, I think I saw a post by M24 that said there is/or might be a place on the gun that says when it was manufactured, anyone remember, and do you guys think it's a new 2011 one, it CERTAINLY IS SUPPOSED TO BE(given it's order date, and new charging handle, sling swivel, etc?) I like it A LOT, cant remember where I heard the manufacture date is located at? PLEASE POST ANY responses, thouhts, or ideas. If anyone knows the ACTUAL height of the newest front sight(PICTURES PLEASE! Im gonna try and figure out how to post pics of the new 930 SPX and its front sight and barrel thickness so M24 can let me know if they need to send me a new barrel!!!lol)... HE's A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE on the 930 SPX, Mossy should PAY HIM, or at least give him like a $1000 gift cert for their firearms/products, and the barrel diameter, or thickness? Thanks a lot guys, Im lovin' my first semi-auto shotgun JUST on it's looks feel and presentation, CANT WAIT TO START CHUCKING LEAD DOWNRANGE!!!! Also, does anyone notice they look like they have a parkerized looking finish, am I just seeing a matte finish and calling it parkerized?!!! It's actually dated 12/11/2010 on the box if that helps with any info help?
Thank you,
Stephen
P.S. THIS THING ROCKS!!! Was DEFINITELY WORTH THE WAIT!!

Back