• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

Re: The troubled history of the 930 SPX

another note is that i removed my ext tube spring and measured it at just a tad over 36". i am able to take my federal 00 2 3/4" shells and load 7 with approximately 3/8" of room to spare. i'd guess any brand i could fit 7, but i don't know for certain as this is my first shotty. obviously this is not troublesome. :mrgreen:

reeseman67 said:
WOW! Never noticed this, I could never get more than 6 shells of a LOT of 00buck brands and thought it was just them being longer. I took apart my gun again today to clean it, measured the spring and it's "36".... The same length that the REPLACEMENT SPRING they just sent me is!! So, it should be "25-"28"? How do I trim it to where the 'new end' nestles into the end of the mag tube perfectly? Any pics on this 'trimming'? I appreciate any help! Cant believe theyre THIS FAR OFF... STILL! Made in December 2010! Thanks,
Stephen
I don't have any pics of it, but it would still look pretty much like the standard spring anyway.
To cut it, I would start at around 30" and try it out to see how it works, working back a coil at a time. Once you find a length that gives you full capacity, positive feeding, and doesn't put so much force on the shell stops that it prevents feeding you flatten the cut end of the spring so that it is comes back right underneath the coil. It will basically flatten the profile of the spring into more of a cylinder shape rather than the coil just ending abruptly as it spirals. Bend the end of the coil in several locations, working around the shape as you go to flare it evenly.
Don't worry about making the little reduced diameter taper to fit in the little cup inside the follower. It will work just fine with a flattend terminus.

Bizill said:
right off the bat i noticed that i had a crooked choate mag extention tube. i called mossberg and i'm guessing/hoping they'll just send me a new one right away. i have no clue if they want this one back or not. this thing was manufactured so that it was brazed on crookedly. no way i can mount a clamp to it. i also noted that while practice loading the tube, about 25% of the time i could only fit 5 shells vs 7. the follower seemed to be getting snagged right where the choate's but is brazed to the nut, so this cannot stand.
Just to make sure, the actual nut on the extenstion is brazed off-center to the actual mag tube extension body right?
If that's the case, don't accept anything less than a completely new assembly. This is more of Choate's QC issues that have really flared up with the extension assembly, and also OFM's since they still have problems checking obvious things.
The problem you describe is exactly what happens when you have a crooked extension.
This kind of crap is exactly why I go with Nordic extensions (at least in part), but I still have people ask why.

it also seems that the front sight is just ever so slanted. enough to bug me and my OCD. otherwise it functions flawlessly. i do notice that when the tube ext is just loose enough that the barrel has some play in how mounts to the receiver. when i torque down the tube ext this slop can equate to a BARELY canted fronst sight or a very noticeable cant. i doubt it would matter if i tightened the tube ext down in the least canted position because once a shell is fired off, the slop is going to position the barrel anywhere it wants to be. again, it shot on target, so i think i'll be letting this one slide.
If you're able to adjust your BZO so that you can hit the target and the sights aren't severely out of alignment then it is GTG.
An old slug hunter trick you may want to tray is using shims from an aluminum drink can on the barrel hood where it fits inside the receiver to position the barrel.

mossberg is sending me a new mag extention tube and didn't say if they wanted the old one back. probably not since i furnished them with a picture. how they missed it in assembly is beyond me. but they will make it right. hopefully the second one is straight. it's REALLY FUGLY when it's all crooked like that. ass fugly. and if mossberg didn't replace it, choate would have. i'm patient. but i digress...

one more gripe i found tonight (that didn't affect function) when i was switching out the factory stock for the choate pistol grip had to do with how they assembled the stock. more specifically was with the rear spacer. it's supposed to be held captive in the oval recess that's made for the spacer. when i removed the factory buttpad i noticed that they had torqued down the stock retention nut without centering that spacer in the recess. they torqued it down and it deformed the oval recess. normally i wouldn't care, but i MAY be reinstalling the factory stock and i'm gonna have to re-align the spacer to the deformed recess. this just shows a little bit of sloppy assembly on their part.

i'm patient. $600+ is a good deal of money. i shouldn't have to mess around so much with qc issues. but hey, i'm a PROUD owner of an ATI GSG5! those who own older generations are the type that had better be willing to put in some work to keep things running smoothly. and that gsg costed over $550 at the time and it's just a 22lr. we're talking about a $500-$650 shotgun in comparison. i feel i got my $'s worth and then some. i love the 930 spx and can't wait to get out and shoot some shi* up with it as often as i can! :twisted:

okay, okay, okay. ONE more gripe. and this is something i can duplicate everytime i try. but believe me, you don't want to try it on yours.

empty out the mag tube and be sure there are no shells in the chamber. i pull the charging handle back and it stays in the locked open position. now if i correctly depress the bolt release button, the bolt charges forward as it should. what i found out the other day when my finger didn't quite completely depress the bolt release button but rather lightly tapped it, the bolt released and went crashing into the shell lifter and created a NASTY jam. from there i have to pull back on the charging handle and then from under the receiver and where you load the shells, i have to press the lever on the side that holds a shell that has been released from the mag and only then can i push the shell lifter back down into its normal position. this is a BAD jam and is very easily re-created. i would venture to guess this would apply to all 930 autoloaders and not just mine.

am i alone? again, i'd much rather learn all the ins and outs of the gun BEFORE it sees home security duty. and by the way, i'm sure this issue cannot be re-created with shells introduced to the scenario. so don't worry about function when it comes to placing trust in this for home defense. it's just a little note to be weary of, just in case it should happen to you.

wow ive been drooling over the spx930 for alongtime and this info is fantastic, i too have read many bad reviews on them and i havent been able to cough up 600 bucks+ for one , thanks gentlemen!

Bizill, I have not been able to duplicate that malf. But if as you say it isn't doing it with rounds in the shotgun I'm not sure what the issue would be either. I've tried to replicate the situation you describe but no matter how lightly I try to release the bolt I just can't get it to snag the lifter.

m24shooter said:
Bizill, I have not been able to duplicate that malf. But if as you say it isn't doing it with rounds in the shotgun I'm not sure what the issue would be either. I've tried to replicate the situation you describe but no matter how lightly I try to release the bolt I just can't get it to snag the lifter.

hey m24, did ya try doing it by giving it a very quick tap that just baaarely releases the bolt? and i mean just barely. i'm beginning to wonder if i got a lemon. like i said, your review all but sold my ass on the spx. i just find myself daydreaming of my elation had my spx come into my possession with perfection. don't get me wrong, i still love the thing, that is for certain and i feel bad like i'm spreading infectious pestilence when i post bad things in various forums, but i have to be honest. but i do believe my spx is somewhat cursed. i'm still waiting on Davidson's to get a new shipment in, and that could be months. i'll be rockin' my 930 in the meantime, though.

anyway, i don't even want to try to make mine malfuntion again. it really locks the bolt up and i can't even describe how i cleared it when it happened 3 times. i can't see much damage to the bolt, but things ain't pretty when it happens!

I did try that, but maybe big Mick hands can't get it to go just right.
I've had the bolt inadvertantly go forward sometimes, but I've never had the problem you do. It may be related to the recess in the bottom of your bolt carrier.

thank you Mtwuntyfoe. i love places like this with all the feedback. support from my piers. love it!

Thanks for the info, people!

I wasn't really in the market for a semi SG but a seller contacted me about a trade for my Glock 26 + cash for his 930SX. I don't if it is a typo (ie: SX instead of SPX) but I will probably hear from him later today. He said he has owned it for a month but didn't indicate if it was used before then or not. Buds does list an SX that looks just like an SPX? :?: He has fired about 100 rounds through it with one misfire.

Of note is he also has a Remington 597 .22 semi-auto rifle in Mossy Oak (or similar) with Bushnell 4x-32 scope. Also of note is that I will be picking up a BRAND NEW Mav. 88 20" "Security" today from my FFL. I'm thinking my 26 and 88 for his 930 and 597 straight-up trade. Yes, I know 114 does NOT equal 1527 but maybe it does! :D But if the 930 is an early "lemon" than deal is off. If it is recent, good deal or bad deal?

Another seller has a FN TPS he wants to trade for the 26 + $. Nice looking gun. Glock is worth about $450 and he wants another $200 or so to make the deal work. Good deal? Bad deal? $650 is really more than I wanted to spend on a shotgun...at least for now.

Well I got my 930 SPX last week and I bought some Fed 2 3/4 game load, at the same time, and they loaded and unloaded great. I ordered ammo from SGAmmo (400 rnds). I tried to load the various ammo and none would load all 7 rounds in the mag tube. The SG was cleaned when I got her home and all looked ok. Tonight after I tried to load the new ammo I pulled the mag ext. off and shortened the spring to 28 inches from 38. The Fed LE 2 3/4 00 buck (8 pellets) with flite control loaded with about a 1/4 inch to spare. The Centurion 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz barely made it into the mag. And the Rio Royal Buck Low Recoil 2 3/4 00 9 pellets was the worst, as the 7th shell was sticking out of the mag by 1/2-5/8 on an inch. The first 2 unloaded well using the charge handle. I am going to wait until the first of the week to go to the range and give her heck. I plan to run a few hundred rounds thru her and I don't want the people around me to think I am a few bricks short of a load. After I get back and clean it up I will try to load 7 rnds of the Rio without any problems. If this doesn't do the trick should I shorten the spring more? The date on the gun box is May 2011 and it is def the Gen 3, but the spring is not red or black, but it doesn't look blue either. It is the color of one of those wire hangers that you get at the cleaners. Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

cbshooter said:
Well I got my 930 SPX last week and I bought some Fed 2 3/4 game load, at the same time, and they loaded and unloaded great. I ordered ammo from SGAmmo (400 rnds). I tried to load the various ammo and none would load all 7 rounds in the mag tube. The SG was cleaned when I got her home and all looked ok. Tonight after I tried to load the new ammo I pulled the mag ext. off and shortened the spring to 28 inches from 38. The Fed LE 2 3/4 00 buck (8 pellets) with flite control loaded with about a 1/4 inch to spare. The Centurion 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz barely made it into the mag. And the Rio Royal Buck Low Recoil 2 3/4 00 9 pellets was the worst, as the 7th shell was sticking out of the mag by 1/2-5/8 on an inch. The first 2 unloaded well using the charge handle. I am going to wait until the first of the week to go to the range and give her heck. I plan to run a few hundred rounds thru her and I don't want the people around me to think I am a few bricks short of a load. After I get back and clean it up I will try to load 7 rnds of the Rio without any problems. If this doesn't do the trick should I shorten the spring more? The date on the gun box is May 2011 and it is def the Gen 3, but the spring is not red or black, but it doesn't look blue either. It is the color of one of those wire hangers that you get at the cleaners. Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

I've trimmed mine to about 34" and get 7+1 w/every load I've used, but the Rio you're talking about are almost as long as 3" darn near, and think you would have to trim it too short (to get 7+1 in it) for it to still have enough power and tension to reliably chuck your shells onto the elevator, ESPECIALLY the last one. Probably just gonna have to deal with the 6+1 with the Rio's. And you just need to clean off the spring to see it's color, mine came that same color, I know a few people w/diff sprig colors and I've never noticed any difference's as long as the guns were all clean, and mine ran almost dry with a 'lightly lubed' BCG and it went off perfectly, that was my original bbl, I got a replacement with new sight setup and they both have blue spring's. Think they might just be for diff production cycles, or maybe model?
Stephen

Well, M24 Shooter did a Fantastic Review on the 930. Plus with the NRA's 2009 Shotgun of the Year Award I pulled the trigger (so to speak) and ordered my 930 SPX. It came out of the box with the following problems which are well documented.
The front site was cantered to the left severely.
The magazine tube was bent.
The gas system return spring didn't compress smoothly causing it to catch on the edge of the pusher assembly at the last coil and then "POP" the remaining way inside the pusher assembly.
After waiting almost three months for this shotgun, to say I was disappointed is an understatement. To think that "I" was the unlucky guy who got all of the documented problems was even worse. Especially since the front site issue has been documented since at least 2008. But hey. My forearm retainer wasn't broken. WooHoo!
I packed it right up and sent it back to the Texas facility for repair. Three weeks later it returned. With some of the same problems... They did replace the barrel. And it wasn't cantered to the left quite as bad as the first barrel. But cantered anyway. The gas system return spring was replaced. But it binded so bad that it almost wouldn't return to it's normal position. (This might be a cause for FTE?) The magazine tube was replaced. That was good. Then when I look at the invoices, they also replaced the picatinny rail. I guess that was damaged too. As far as the magazine tube spring length. Haven't even bothered to check it. Hoping it's right. But will have to wait and see when it comes back again. Plus even if it is the wrong length, I can take care of that myself. I am sending it back again today. Hopefully for the last time. The VP that M24 Shooter talked to a few years back at Mossberg is moving on this coming month. I guess he had to throw up his hands about some problems that were just too hard to fix.
So, why post this? Because you need to thoroughly inspect the gun before you leave the shop. And before you fire it. I wish I had different advice. But for the problems I am having with a gun straight out of the box, that have been documented for so long to still be appearing at the point of sale is unforgiveable. This weapon is listed as a tacticle weapon. It should work and be 100% before it leaves the factory. I just can't imagine what is going on at Mossberg these days. I still want the gun. But I want it right. Not "almost" right...

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum raven01750 !!

Sorry to hear about the problematic 930 SPX...hope you can get it finally taken care of.

Thanx for the Welcome Shooter. It'll all work out in the end. I have a Mossberg 410 from when I was a kid that still works perfectly. A lot of sentiment in the brand. I just get bummed out how we as the greatest country in the world, leaders in innovation and productivity, got to the point where a company that's almost 100 years old can't figure out how to fix something as simple as getting their subcontractors to provide them with accurate, reliable parts manufacturing. And even though they KNOW that the parts are not what they should be, they send it out anyway. It's disappointing and doesn't speak highly of the Mossberg Family.

Sorry to hear about your issues and please keep us updated. If you continue to have problems I will do all I can to help get them resolved.

Can't believe this' still going on like this, apart from ALWAYS requiring a supervisor, which seems to be key to getting fast service they've taken care of me everytime. If you still have problems let us know and many people including myself will be glad to help you out and point you to who can get your 930 going as IT SHOULD BE!! GOOD LUCK MAN, don't hesitate to ask for help if you need!
Stephen

Thanx Dan. Thanx Stephen. Awfully kind of you both. You should have heard the exasperation in Javier's voice when I talked to him over the phone. I could sence that they are as tired of this situation as everyone else. But he took care of me right away with a shipping label to send it back the second time. But there was a lady who I talked to almost two weeks prior who "didn't" send the shipping label she said she was sending though. Customer service and word of mouth will make or kill a busines if they don't listen.

And somebody at O.F. Mossberg and sons is definately not listening.

Now with Mark Kresser the VP of Sales and Marketing moving on to become President and CEO at Taurus International, (of course that is a huge step up for him and wish him well).

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/07/25/mark ... rnational/

I have not heard of who might take his place and what direction the company will take. The Chainsaw is out. Not my type of weapon but if I tried one I might see the appeal, some people obviously seem to like it. And their move into the MMR series of Assault style weapons is getting completely away from their roots. And in the mean time, they are still producing a SG that has huge appeal but inferior quality. I worry about the company. I hope their not biting off more than they can chew.
Paul

Latest update! I got a new 930 SPX barrel in the mail today! Of course they have the shotgun...

Paul

Back