• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

Re: The troubled history of the 930 SPX

Seams that QC is still lacking...my 930SPX was packaged July 20, 2011 and still has some of the issues you guys mentioned.

1) with some 2-3/4" shells, I can only get 6 rounds into the magazine
2) Binding issue just in front of the gas piston, causing a score/ridge on the action/magazine tube
3) GRS windage adjustment is almost maxed out to one side

I sent an e-mail to Mossberg over a week ago and no response...I'll call them this Monday.

I feel you're pain I ordered a new SPX barrel back in July and just received it this Thursday past almost 3 months to the day. After placing several calls the story that I got was there was a q/c issue with the barrels front sights being canted. I'll be going to the range sometime this week to sight it in.

at this point in time....I concluded that I would not recommend for anyone to purchase this model shotgun. After reading this blog and various of other blogs through out the net, ALL the issues are still there and I have the latest generation SPX. I will soon start a separate blog with my full review with pictures showing the unacceptable issues. I also try to make a video, to clearly show all the issues.

My 930 SPX w Pistol Grip came back from the factory today. I still feel the barrel site is cantered to the left but only by a couple of degrees and not worth any further complaining. The Pusher Assembly now operates smooth and has no binding. Now I need to completely tear it down for cleaning, shove some shells inside to check the magazine spring etc.

I also checked the other 18.5" barrel they sent me last week to check to see which one was better. The one sent attached to the shotgun was much better. The replacement barrel is cantered to the left pretty badly.

I think that I might finally have a shotgun operating as it is designed to do. But it has yet to have a shell inserted or fired.

Was it worth it? Well lets see. I hopefully have a great shotgun that will give me a lifetime of enjoyment. Total cost was the original price plus S&H back to the factory the first time. And we all know that the SPX is a great deal for a semi-auto SG. After opening the box for the first time to now, it took approximately two and a half months of sending it back and forth. They replaced the barel twice (three times if you include the extra one I am sending back), the Picatinny Rail, the Magazine Tube and the Pusher Assembly twice. Once I'm able to start feeding some rounds through it all of the pain will probably fade away.

But I really think that the saga is going to continue for Mossberg though. And that's the real shame. :cry:

V/R
Paul

raven01750 said:
I still feel the barrel site is cantered to the left but only by a couple of degrees and not worth any further complaining. The Pusher Assembly now operates smooth and has no binding. Now I need to completely tear it down for cleaning, shove some shells inside to check the magazine spring etc.

I also checked the other 18.5" barrel they sent me last week to check to see which one was better. The one sent attached to the shotgun was much better. The replacement barrel is cantered to the left pretty badly.

Still Canted?! That's still unacceptable. How is it affecting your rear sight? Is it like mine, where the windage adjustment is almost maxed to the left?

Now, I'm really starting to regret selling off my Benelli M1 Super90 Tactical. I guess it's as they say..."I get what I paid for." But I'm not going to settle or give up...I paid for a new Tactical Shotgun, not a half ass, make shift one.

207575_1039319545809_1310132599_108203_2256_n.jpg

No gimmics. The rear site ring in perfectly centered. The barrels front site now displays completly inside the ring. Albeit with a tiny lean to the left. Is the lean do to barrel slop? There is a slight amount of wiggle room when the barrel is assembled. I can't say yet. But it's acceptable. When the rounds start feeding through and things settle in, I think I'll be happy. I know that the 18.5" barrel is meant more to be a point and shoot type of display anyway. But the lean before was completely unacceptable.

But I'm really happy about the pusher assembly. It's absolutely smooth, no binding at all. I thought, and still do, that the spring was being manufactired outside tolerence causing it to expand during compression. Or the material in the pusher assembly was being manufactured outside tolerence. Maybe both. But since I wasn't running an inside micrometer on the previous parts, I can't say what the actual problem really was. And they didn't send me an invoice this time on parts changed. But for me, the problem with the pusher assembly is completely gone. If you picked up my gun and not know it's history, the front site would most likely not even register. I'm of course hyper-sensitive to anything that I knew about in regards to my SG.

Paul

Well, it's a little after midnight now and I just spent the last four hours tearing down, inspecting, cleaning and checking anything and everything I could think of. The magazine spring is approximately 35.5". I haven't shoved any shells in yet to see if the gun will indeed hold seven in the magazine. I noticed while cleaning that there was quite a bit of brass trails on the loader mechanism and the chamber face. It looks like they tested this gun to the ninth degree before they sent it back this time.

I mounted the slug barrel which had a minor issue that was resolved with a little further disassembly and reassembly of the main spring which is a MFer. That spring is STRONG! But it gave me a chance to do a little deeper cleaning and very light lube there also.

I came to the conclusion that the slight canter to the left on the front site of the 18.5" barrel is indeed barrel slop. I would have to go out and fire it for awhile to see exactly where she settles in at, but I have to get ready for deer season now.

All in all, the gun was cleaner than I expected. The barrels both have small scorch marks inside on the bottom where the gas dischange system attaches to the barrel that didn't clean out. But I would imagine after a couple of hundred rounds through them, they will be slick. But all in all, it looks so nice I thought they may have sent me another gun until I inspected the S/N. Nope. It' mine.

I had to remove the Picatinny rail on top to mount the new slug barrel with integrated scope rail as I had suspected. I now have four uncovered holes that I will need to get some screws for to fill.

All in all? I love the gun now. I think it's finally what I expected when I bought the 2009 NRA shotgun of the year. I won't be able to take it out this weekend, but next weekend the new scope (Nikon BDC SlugHunter 1.65-5X) will be mounted and sighted in getting ready for deer season by putting through a couple of dozen Sabot Rounds from various manufacturers to see what she eats best. That's the latest and greatest on the saga. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Paul

P.S. Even though it was painful, I would like to Thank O.F. Mossberg and sons for finally making things right.

That is AWESOME to hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they make me a believer in Mossberg Autoloaders

I guess the thing that gets me about these issues is that this post started a year ago. I've read similar threads from 2009.

The two 930sx's that I have dealt with have the same problems. So in a year Mossy has done nothing to improve QC nor customer service.

The funniest part is when I called customer service and s/w a supervisor Joe. He acted like they had never had issues with this model before...

Well I finally got to shoot her today. Three times....

I had changed out the 18.5" barrel with the 24" slug barrel with integrated scope rail, added a 1.65 X 5 variable Nikon Slug Scope and was so excited about finally getting to shoot today that I didn't sleep well at all last night.

I loaded up the laser bore site, set her up for 50 yards. Then loaded a single round of Winchester Supreme 2 3/4", 7/8 oz 385 Gr Sabot round. And BOOM! DAMN she was loud. My ears were ringing like a bell. But nothing on the target. I didn't hit a two foot square target at 50 yards. I'm like, Hmmmmm. So, I went down to 25 yards and bore sighted again. BOOM! Finally, paper. It was off by 8" to the left. I'm thinking there's no way it should be off that bad.

And that's when it happened.

There were black plastic pieces all over the bench. I'm like, "What the heck is this?" I inspected the gun, checked the scope, mountings etc., knowing they weren't made of plastic. Reassembling the big parts in my hand to see if I could identify the shape and size of whatever it was. Looking everywhere I could think of for where these pieces could have come from. Not finding anything else on the ground or seemingly missing from the gun I shot one more round at 50.

More plastic. That's when it struck me. The "Forearm Retainer." Disassembled the mag tube and pulled the forearm off and sure enough, the Forearm Retainer had virtually disentigrated into about 20 pieces. Since this piece acts as a guide for the Pusher Assembly Pins and a seat for the Gas System Return Spring, and it was obviously in no condition to do that job any more, once again, my Mossberg 930 SPX is packed up until I can get replacement parts. After firing three rounds.

All I want to know is "What did I do?" (and I'm never the guy who says "woe is me." Now, I'm just shocked beyond belief.) How in the heck did I get to be the guy who gets this #@*!. The 930 for deer season is virtually guaranteed not to be ready now. There are only 13 days left. I am disappointed beyond belief... And when the new part comes in, I will have no choice but to take it to a machine shop to have one made out of Alumium. Because it seems that the plastic can't hold up to high power. Or anything else probably for very long. Remember, it's not just there to hold the forearm on the barrel...

:evil: :cry: :shock:

Paul

That's awful news. My 2nd 930 is back at Mossberg. Ordered the first one in early September, at this rate it will be November before I get to shoot it for the first time.

What a POS mossberg has turned out! I think i'll trade mine on a Remmy or Winchester.

Do I think it was backwards? That's actually a very good question. So good in fact that I removed the last remaining piece from the magazine tube to see if it was oriented correctly. Even though it's missing the small tangs that normally face the stock, the side that was in contact with the receiver was indeed the flat side. The side with the ridge that keeps the spring in place was facing forward toward the end of the barrel.

I tried to upload a photo of the piece but it was too large so I reduced the size but it says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." So, I'm not sure what's going on.

Paul

Update: 10-11-11
Contacted Mossberg this A.M. and they are sending me two new Forearm Retainers via USPS. I will hopefully have them by the end of the week to try and do this all over again.

If the ridge on the bottom of the retainer is facing the muzzle, then it is installed backwards. I made that mistake and mine also disintegrated. With the bottom ridge facing the receiver, the replacement has worked fine and is still in one piece.

From the manual, it is pretty easy to tell if it is installed correctly. It shows the two small tabs against the receiver with the bottom ridge facing the end of the muzzel. Are you saying the diagram (Fig. 10 and 15) shows the retainer installed backward?

Edit: 10-14-2011 5:30PM
I received two new Forearm Retainers in the mail today. And of course they don't look like the ones in the Owners Manual. No tabs facing the receiver. So, I installed the new one with the large protruding ridge facing the receiver and the flat side with a ringed indentation facing the muzzle.

At this point, I have no idea if it was originally installed backwards or not. I would like to think not. But I know for certain now that it is installed correctly and I will get it out again this weekend to start that sighting in again.

Paul

OK. Saturday 10-15-2011. Just got back from shooting. I got two Forearm retainers in the mail yesterday. Mossberg had them here in four days. 35 rounds of Sabot ammunition. Everything went well.

Winchester Supreme Patriot Gold SSP12 slugs had a nice grouping at 50.

Remington Core-Lokt Ultra were flyers for me.

Remington Premier AccuTip slugs were really nice. 9" drop at 150 yards. I want to run some more through to see just what the maximum potential is. It looks promising for 250 yards.

With that said, I am a long way from the hundreds of rounds others have put through there 930's. And I have yet to fire anything besides the Sabot rounds through the 24" slug barrel because Deer Season starts next week. Today was the first good day I have had with the 930 SPX w PG. But if I never have to post to this thread again, it will be too soon. Mossberg did make it all good in the end. But it was damn painful getting there.

Paul

Well got the 930 back from Mossberg today. I am well satisfied with the time frame and turn around.

There was no explanation of what they did. They did include a $0 balance invoice that shows a shell stop assembly and an elevator.

Anyway the shotty now holds the correct round count and the bolt has not bound up yet. I was able to load and manually cycle the rounds this time.

The crappy part is now the trigger group and lifter have a lot of play in them. I can live with that as long as it functions. The part that grinds my gears though is they left tool marks all over the shotgun. Scuff on the forearm, hammer and punch marks on the receiver, scuffs on the elevator and trigger housing.

Now this shotgun will be used so I can deal with the scuffs etc, but there is no way I could sell this 930 as NIB in this condition.

It's sad to see where the Mossberg product and customer service has ended up.

Hopefully I can muster a range trip this weekend and post a great performance report.

There is another 930 owner on shotgunworld.com that has a misbehaving elevator. See here for thread.

100_1935_640x480.jpg

100_1933_640x480.jpg

Your trigger group is as loose as SoCal Choppas'. Once he gets his 930 back from Mossberg he will tell us if they fixed it.

Back