• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

Re: The troubled history of the 930 SPX

Finally made it to the range with the 930. 25 rounds of light bird shot low brass, only issue was one light primer strike.

5 x 3" magnum buckshot. OUCH!. 5 x 2 3/4" buckshot. no issues.

10 x 2 3/4" slugs grouped in about a soft ball at 50 yards from a rest. Had two feeding issues (shells were not ejected from magazine tube) racked the slide went right into battery.

Sights were easy to adjust and responsive to clicks.

I had not cleaned nor lubed the shotty from the factory, so I think that was the cause of my issues. I shot the slugs last and the gun was quite hot by that time. Ripped through the ammo in about 30 minutes...got the sore shoulder this am.

So far so good.

I will agree there are some bad issues some of you unfortunate guys have run across. I know I would feel upset, mad, disappointed, and sick if these happen to me. Keep in mind that most of these headaches could of been taken care of with a simple 30second exam of the gun "BEFORE" handing over your hard earned money.

It only takes a second to look down the barrel to see if sights are jacked up. And it only takes a second to wiggle the trigger group or to look at the elevator action. Why not even disassemble the gun at the shop to a level the manual has printed out, to look things over? I would not think that is a crazy request to make at the gun shop. This would allow you to get a look at the piston area, trigger group, receiver area, and make sure there are no surprises when you get home.

We hear about the problems, as well we should. And hopefully quality improves by bringing up the things that should be dealt with. I seem to be fortunate to have a SPX that has been 100% so far and a real joy to shoot. I got another case of ammo in and have my 600 shells for the next range day coming up. Believe me if I start having problems I will certainly share my experiences just as I have shared my positive experiences on this forum.

Well, my troubles appear to be over. Took a 4 point buck on Sat. Dressed out at 94 lbs which is a good size Mulie for our area. It kicks like a mule and leaves a bruise on my arm every time I shoot it with the Sabot rounds, but I have a nice piece of mushroomed lead for a rememberance and about 45 lbs of venison to pick up at the processors in about a week. When it's working right, it's a great gun. Hang in there boys. The hunt is a long story I won't get into, but I'm pleased with the results. Mossberg made it right.
Paul

megawatt said:
I will agree there are some bad issues some of you unfortunate guys have run across. I know I would feel upset, mad, disappointed, and sick if these happen to me. Keep in mind that most of these headaches could of been taken care of with a simple 30second exam of the gun "BEFORE" handing over your hard earned money.

It only takes a second to look down the barrel to see if sights are jacked up. And it only takes a second to wiggle the trigger group or to look at the elevator action. Why not even disassemble the gun at the shop to a level the manual has printed out, to look things over? I would not think that is a crazy request to make at the gun shop. This would allow you to get a look at the piston area, trigger group, receiver area, and make sure there are no surprises when you get home.

We hear about the problems, as well we should. And hopefully quality improves by bringing up the things that should be dealt with. I seem to be fortunate to have a SPX that has been 100% so far and a real joy to shoot. I got another case of ammo in and have my 600 shells for the next range day coming up. Believe me if I start having problems I will certainly share my experiences just as I have shared my positive experiences on this forum.

I'm probably like most and expect a reputable name such as Mossberg would have a better manufacturing process and quality control. And like most, purchased their firearm before ever running across these reviews and knowing what to look for. I never found detailed issues/problems until I knew what to google for. No gun store I know around here would let you field strip it before purchasing it and most had to special order. But anycase, the 930 SPX has been out since 2009 and still has the same issues as before. This says a lot about this company. I purchased it based on magazine write ups, it being 2009 Shotgun of the year, Mossberg's reputation with the 500 series and what I saw on Youtube.

I will give Mossberg credit for handling my issues promptly and replacing my SPX with another one. But their lack of quality control is unacceptable, my new/replacement shotgun has parts falling off, the receiver has uncoated filing marks inside, the trigger group is still lose, and I'm getting scoring marks again on the magazine tube from the piston spring. So I have to conclude that the SPX is not an out of the box firearm, but a firearm that must be tweaked to run smoothly and reliably.

Almost all of my other firearms, never had to be sighted in (Unless I put Optics on it) and some even came with test targets. I've have/had multiple Rugers (Handguns and Rifles), Sigs, Heckler and Koch, Walther, Taurus, Browning and a Benelli. Some have couple thousand rounds thru them and some have over 10,000 rounds...my Mossberg SPX has just under 250 rounds and shows more wear and tear then any of my other firearms. Maybe there is a reason why Mossberg gives only a 2 year warranty on their SPX, while majority of my others have a lifetime warranty. Also kinda weird that Mossberg doesn't require owner registration, should there be a recall or a service bulletin.

After all this, I still probably buy a basic 500 12 gauge combo; it is what it is and it's cheap. But I probably won't ever get anything else from Mossberg or recommend the 930 SPX.

troutburger said:
Finally made it to the range with the 930. 25 rounds of light bird shot low brass, only issue was one light primer strike.

5 x 3" magnum buckshot. OUCH!. 5 x 2 3/4" buckshot. no issues.

10 x 2 3/4" slugs grouped in about a soft ball at 50 yards from a rest. Had two feeding issues (shells were not ejected from magazine tube) racked the slide went right into battery.

Sights were easy to adjust and responsive to clicks.

I had not cleaned nor lubed the shotty from the factory, so I think that was the cause of my issues. I shot the slugs last and the gun was quite hot by that time. Ripped through the ammo in about 30 minutes...got the sore shoulder this am.

So far so good.

I got 4-5 light primer strikes also, but out of about 230-240 rounds

I finally had time for a detail cleaning of my 930 SPX. I have never seen any of my other guns have this much wear after appx 50 rounds. Lots of metal filings and scraping on the magazine tube and inside the receiver. This shotgun has more wear on it after 50 rounds than my 20 year old model 500 that has been my go to shotty since I was 15. The old 500 has seen 1000's of rounds and never a hiccup.

SoCal, if you had 5 light primer strikes out of 230 that's appx 1 in 50. About what I experienced too.

I'm gonna give the 930 SPX one more range test, but I see gunbroker in its future.

I have a shotgun class coming up in December and I just don't think I can count no the SPX for this class.

The day I got the light primer strikes, after I got home and I stripped the SPX down; cleaned and lubed everything again. I noticed the fire pin assembly did not have a smooth movement, not sure if it was fouling, rust or whatever....I forced a stream of Brake Clean through it and then PB rust penetrating spray into the fire pin hole, working the fire pin until it seemed to smooth out. More brake clean and then coated everything with Mil-Tech oil, then wiped off all the excess. On my Nov 13th outing, I didn't experience any light primer strikes.

I'm still up in the air about the SPX....

Socal - I wish we lived closer to eachother I sure would like to break down our SPX's and see what the differences are. I would say mine has continued to be a confident inspiring 100% in operation and we got the guns about the same time. I did not even clean the gun prior to my first time to the range and fired off over 100 various shells.

I do have to make time this Friday to make sure it still runs after getting the new cerecoat application. I have never had a light primer strike and I saw the trigger group video you made and I noticed my trigger group has twice the amount of play in it. As long as my SPX goes bang everytime I pull the trigger then I am good with it.

megawatt said:
Socal - I wish we lived closer to eachother I sure would like to break down our SPX's and see what the differences are. I would say mine has continued to be a confident inspiring 100% in operation and we got the guns about the same time. I did not even clean the gun prior to my first time to the range and fired off over 100 various shells.

I do have to make time this Friday to make sure it still runs after getting the new cerecoat application. I have never had a light primer strike and I saw the trigger group video you made and I noticed my trigger group has twice the amount of play in it. As long as my SPX goes bang everytime I pull the trigger then I am good with it.

Megawatt...you're actually not too far from me...Vegas is about 2.5-3 hour drive for me. I usually hit Vegas once or twice a year...I may be there before the end of the year for Front Sight. I'll definitely keep ya posted.

I really want the SPX to work for me and I'm willing to go the distance to make it work right as long as Mossberg continues to stand behind it.

Well hit me up if you go to FS, I will take you to the boulder pistol & rifle club before or after. If your going to do a shotgun class lemme know and I will most likely go too.

Just ordered my 930 SPX (#8536) today. I really hope I don't have the issues detailed in this thread! :(

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum buckonz !!

Let us know how great she shoots when you pick her up... ;)

SHOOTER13 said:

Thanks Shooter13.

I managed to put 30 rounds through it yesterday, using Federal Game-Shok shells: 2 3/4 in., 6 shot. Seemed to work perfectly fine. I did find that the "front end" seemed a little loose fitting and not of the quality I was expecting from Mossberg. But othert than that, I'm pleased.

The front sight post seemed straight to me and there was evidence that the firearm had definately been "tested" prior to me receiving it. Also the rear sight had been adjusted just a little to the left of centre.

buckonz said:
SHOOTER13 said:

Thanks Shooter13.

I managed to put 30 rounds through it yesterday, using Federal Game-Shok shells: 2 3/4 in., 6 shot. Seemed to work perfectly fine. I did find that the "front end" seemed a little loose fitting and not of the quality I was expecting from Mossberg. But othert than that, I'm pleased.

The front sight post seemed straight to me and there was evidence that the firearm had definately been "tested" prior to me receiving it. Also the rear sight had been adjusted just a little to the left of centre.

Welcome and good luck with your shotgun. Make sure the magazine tube (Not the Extension) is tight into the receiver, my SPX2.0 was loose and unscrewed rather easily...cleaned with alcohol and put more Red Loctite

SoCal Choppas said:
Welcome and good luck with your shotgun. Make sure the magazine tube (Not the Extension) is tight into the receiver, my SPX2.0 was loose and unscrewed rather easily...cleaned with alcohol and put more Red Loctite

Hi SoCal Choppas,

How do I tell what generation my SPX is? I see you mentioned yours was a SPX2.0. I did check the tube and it was a little bit loose, so I made sure I hand tightened it before taking it to the range. I must check it through and see how it is now, after my 30 odd shells were put through it.

SPX2.0 is to reference it is my 2nd/replacement SPX. If you have the original box, the packed date of the SPX is on the sticker on the end of the box. If you don't have that, you can call Mossberg CS and ask them. The latest generation has the Knurl Barrel knob bolt handle.

SoCal Choppas said:
SPX2.0 is to reference it is my 2nd/replacement SPX. If you have the original box, the packed date of the SPX is on the sticker on the end of the box. If you don't have that, you can call Mossberg CS and ask them. The latest generation has the Knurl Barrel knob bolt handle.

According to my box, the package date is June 2011. And the bolt release is quite a substantial knob, compared with some of the older pictures I've seen here.

930 SPX Front Sight Alignment

Well, in spite of all of the apparent quality issues, I plan to purchase a 930 SPX in the next few days.

I would appreciate any suggestions how to determine if the front sight is canted when I'm looking the weapon over at my local gun shop. I will certainly eyball it but is there a way to more precisely measure if it vertically aligned?

Thanks very much.

Well I thought I would add myself to the list of owners. I received my 930 last Friday. The packing date on my box indicates a date of November 17, 2011 so I must have received a fresh one shipped to the online vendor. I did get a great price on it and specifically asked about the front sight issue with the vendor. I was told they inspect the guns prior to shipping and it will check out. The front sight looks fine, I cleaned her, did a function test and all seems ok. I added a side saddle, Nordic Components extension tube with 3/4" cap addition, nordic spring, nordic teflon follower, nordic Bolt handle (which given the size and quality of the one that came with the gun I think I could have done without), Nordic Barrel Clamp and last but not least a new large aluminum safety (Brownell's "butterfly" style). Where are the stocks for this gun? I'd love to put an Urbino on her.

My main issue right now is that I had surgery last week and have been laid up at home. I hope to be able to get out and shoot it late this week or next, but I have to watch myself until I'm closer to full recovery.

In looking at a field stripped 930, there are parts of this gun that Mossberg skimped on. The so called "pusher assembly" is clearly a part that should have been made of aluminum or other light metal...not plastic. The piston assembly should be 100% metal as should the spacer sleeve that rides on the magazine tube.

For those of you that have not looked at a Benelli M4 stripped down, you'll see quality into those little things that Mossberg keeps as an apparent after thought. Of course you're dropping $1,000 more on a Benelli as well.

Although I do not see problems as of right now...and I hope I do not..the lack of QC from Mossberg and the sub-contractors has been horrible (reading everyone's problems). I feel with a tweaked system and a few after market parts, this shotgun can be a real winner for the price out the door.

Back