• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

Re: 930 spx

Well I went to buy the 930 SPX tonight, filled out all the paperwork, did a final inspection,pulled back the bolt, and pushed the button to cycle it and it jammed. It would not cylcle more than two or three times without jamming. I did not buy it.It was the only one at that specific store, they called another store and put that one on hold for me until tommorow. I'm a little gun shy now(pardon the pun) and unsure wether I should buy it now.

Re: 930 spx

64 ragtop said:
Well I went to buy the 930 SPX tonight, filled out all the paperwork, did a final inspection,pulled back the bolt, and pushed the button to cycle it and it jammed. ...

Good job and good for you. Much better to spend a minute looking it over and deciding. Too many people purchase now (with no thinking) then spend a lot of time complaining and making post complaining about their headache. Buyers need to be intelligent consumers and check things out first. Hope you find a gun that performs as good as mine.

Only thing better would have been the inspection BEFORE any paperwork.

Re: The troubled history of the 930 SPX

I've put around 100 rounds through my 930SPX and found no functional issues so far. The only things I have found:
- The magazine tube appears to be a little bit loose after each trip to the range.
- I noticed a little rust appearing on the top of the barrel and I've had it a few weeks. An experienced shooter told me it looked like it was due to finger prints, based on the location and pattern.

Glad to hear all went well buckonz !!

Enjoy the new toy !! :cool:

...and a warm Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum to both et2041 and azcederburg !!

...and SoulShade is correct...don't worry !! ;)

Going to look at 930 spx this weekend

I am very interested in getting a semi auto and am going to look at the 930 spx but just found out about all the problems with them. I understand they have alot with canted sights so I will make sure to check that but what else exactly should I be inspecting and can someone tell me how to know if its messed up? Sorry I am a noob to shotguns and this is going to be my first buy. Thanks!

Re: Going to look at 930 spx this weekend

You know about the canted front sight but what I’ve hear it’s pritty much been corrected on the 3 generation guns., 3 generation gun should have a larger gnarled bolt handle, but look for a canted front sight anyway. You could also make sure the magazine extension tube is not bent(canted) it should be parallel to the barrel. You might also want to look at the ghost ring sight adjustment to see if adjustment marks are on center or adjusted to far to the right or left, they should be on center. If they let you remove the barrel it should come off the magazine tube fairly easy, if it drags or is difficult to remove that usually means there is something in the gas cylinder out of aliment. Make sure you ask them about their return policy.

Good luck, they are a great shooting gun, I've had mine less than a month with over 300 rounds through it. I had a bent magazine extension tube that did not effect the performance of the gun, Mossberg sent me a new extension tube. Keep us posted.

usmc1963 said:
You know about the canted front sight but what I’ve hear it’s pritty much been corrected on the 3 generation guns., 3 generation gun should have a larger gnarled bolt handle, but look for a canted front sight anyway. You could also make sure the magazine extension tube is not bent(canted) it should be parallel to the barrel. You might also want to look at the ghost ring sight adjustment to see if adjustment marks are on center or adjusted to far to the right or left, they should be on center. If they let you remove the barrel it should come off the magazine tube fairly easy, if it drags or is difficult to remove that usually means there is something in the gas cylinder out of aliment. Make sure you ask them about their return policy.

Good luck, they are a great shooting gun, I've had mine less than a month with over 300 rounds through it. I had a bent magazine extension tube that did not effect the performance of the gun, Mossberg sent me a new extension tube. Keep us posted.

Thanks alot! I will definitily check what you suggested to look for. I hope all is well as I really want a semi auto but most are out of my price range

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

There is a possibility of all spx issues, to resurface; mine is a prime example and it was made this past July 2011. If the sites are fine, make sure you can remove the barrel without any major drag, otherwise you'll get the magazine tube scoring after shooting it. Adjust the piston spring first if necessary. Then run it wet!

usmc1963 said:
I've had mine less than a month with over 300 rounds through it.
:shock: I wish I lived somewhere with an open range (or even a decent private one) :cry: . I have an open invite to hunt and sight in my guns at a family friends house but I don't have a place to just shoot. I've had my most recent gun for just over a month and have a whole 12 rounds though it :eek:. She's not even broken in :(.

gmaster456 said:
usmc1963 said:
I've had mine less than a month with over 300 rounds through it.
:shock: I wish I lived somewhere with an open range (or even a decent private one) :cry: . I have an open invite to hunt and sight in my guns at a family friends house but I don't have a place to just shoot. I've had my most recent gun for just over a month and have a whole 12 rounds though it :eek:. She's not even broken in :(.

That’s how it was when I lived in Greenville SC, all the indoor ranges did not allow shotguns had to drive 20 miles one way if I wanted to shoot my SXP Defender. Now that I’m back in Northwestern PA I belong to an outdoor shooting range just a 15 min drive from my house. Most of the time I’m the only one shooting. My 930 SPX is up to 400 shells now. Once a week I stop at Wal-Mart, for around $25.00 I pick up a 100 shell value pack of Remington low brass #8 birdshot, at 1200 fps my SPX loves them.

I recently purchased mine and put 75 rounds down the tube to include 2 3/4" 00, 2 3/4" Slug, 2 3/4" 7 and 8 shot from various manufacturers with no failures. No workmanship issues. I've been very pleased with my latest purchase.

This "weapon" is a POS! Shotgun was shipped to me defective and inoperative. When I went to do a functions check with the first step the weapon failed with the bolt locking up in the rearward position "tangled" up with shell lifter/feed ramp. Pretty much seems to be an ubiquitous issue in that a simple google search turns up abundant evidence of other such user experiences. Pretty much all in all the front stock piece was literally about to fall off it was so loose,finish was off in places to the point of actually looking like it had been drug across a gravel parking lot, rail and rear peep were loose, and OF COURSE the fact that the bolt would bind on the shell lifter thus essentially causing this weapon to be inoperative and just a 600 dollar paper weight and this without even having had the chance to fire one round. This forum thread has pictures of the bolt binding issue and plenty of other reports of this very common issue:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/gunsm ... 930sx.html

(here is an image link of the bolt binding issue: http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i... ... dc.jpgalso if you google the phrase Mossberg 930SX bolt bind that page with all the pictures and descriptions will show up on first result return along with a slew of other links for this issue and the "quality" of this Mossberg shotgun)

This is my first Mossberg weapon and will be my last. The experience of having to deal with their customer service at the very best and most kindest I can describe it are "amateurish" ... I called and arranged for a shipping label to be sent and waited a week and a half and still no label, turns out they never even shipped it but tried to play it off by saying that Fed ex "lost" the label but at any rate I spent roughly 600 dollars on this P.O.S. and it has been going on two months since I have had it still haven't got to fire it or use it in the intended local 3 Gun Matches out at the Best of the West Range in Liberty Hill Texas because I have been dealing with Mossberg customer "service" and trying to resolve this issue...

post script: I did finally get my 930 SPX sent back to me and I must say that it looked a heck of a lot better, what you would expect from a brand "new" weapon. I actually dealt with all of this back in the first part of December of 2010 and actually JUST YESTERDAY was able to get this weapon out to the range where I did not have a single malfunction and ran it pretty hard with rapid firing 00 buck, slugs and the winchester PDX slug/buckshot combination shells...but ultimately I should never have had to go through this experience..

Hellstriker said:
Pretty much seems to be an ubiquitous issue in that a simple google search turns up abundant evidence of other such user experiences...

Research is best done before not after……just a little tip that has served me well. Have fun with your new "weapon"

Just bought my 930 SPX on 2.3.2012 taken it to the range twice with about 200 rounds of 00 buck and combo of slugs what a great shotgun, really love the Federal LE 12300 with the flight control wad 2.5" groups at 25 yards awesome ammo :)

I have had some issues with my 930 SPX. I had the gas ring come out when taking it apart to clean it but another friend has one and he told me where it goes. Shouldn't have come loose on it's own but hopefully it will not come loose the next time I take it apart.
However, after reading here I checked my front sight and sure enough it is canted. I used a vice and a pair of levels to confirm it. I guess I will be calling Mossberg tomorrow.
Only been to the range once and it only worked reliably with heavy loads. How many rounds before it is broken in and I can use regular, low recoil field loads?

Gas ring culprit.

002-1.jpg

Called Mossberg and they told me to send the barrel in and they would take a look. The lady stated that there is some leeway as to whether the sight is straight or not and since they are brazed on they are not always perfectly straight. She made no guarantees of fixing it or replacing it as it may be within their + - standards. This is my last Mossberg and it makes no sense to me that they do not have a jig set up to guarantee the sight is on straight. Piss poor. My Mossberg 500 is world's better in terms of everything working as it should.

Picking up my 930SPX next Monday. Hopefully mine doesn't have these issues everyone is describing. (crossing fingers)

I hope yours is trouble free. If you can, check the front sight and see if it is straight. It will save you a lot of headache if you can look before you pay. I like mine but the front sight issue is annoying since I can't even sight it in. If the factory doesn't fix or replace my barrel I will take it to a gunsmith and have it done right. Love the gun but they should have eliminated the problem in quality control measures by now.

New 930 here, picked mine up at Dicks yesterday no issues ran 35 rounds 00 perfectly today in my backyard thanks for the heads up on what to look for I got a winner.

Back