• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

THE TRUTH ABOUT TACTICAL STOCKS

volkoff said:
I guess for me I don't have years of shotgun experience from hunting or whatever. So I feel that for me the tactical style is very natural. I fully understand there is a totally different position to the gun with the different stocks. Just thought you all would like to see my protectors of the home.
IMG_5734-Copy_zps90ef593c.jpg

IMG_5737-copy_zps0bac05b0.jpg

volkoff is that a model A.1.10.1140? If so does it have any recoil reduction other than a padded grip?

I am having trouble deciding between this ATI http://www.amazon.com/TECH-TALON-TA...F8&qid=1361931158&sr=1-2&keywords=A.1.10.1140 and the Phoenix Technology Kicklite Adjustable Stock Package http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V14J8Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any input on how either are to shoot with?

Nick Burkhardt said:
volkoff said:
I guess for me I don't have years of shotgun experience from hunting or whatever. So I feel that for me the tactical style is very natural. I fully understand there is a totally different position to the gun with the different stocks. Just thought you all would like to see my protectors of the home.
IMG_5734-Copy_zps90ef593c.jpg

IMG_5737-copy_zps0bac05b0.jpg

volkoff is that a model A.1.10.1140? If so does it have any recoil reduction other than a padded grip?

I am having trouble deciding between this ATI http://www.amazon.com/TECH-TALON-TA...F8&qid=1361931158&sr=1-2&keywords=A.1.10.1140 and the Phoenix Technology Kicklite Adjustable Stock Package http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V14J8Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any input on how either are to shoot with?

Looks like a Flex 500 stock. If that is the case, no recoil reduction system.

As far as your decision, which one appeals to you more? ATI is only recoil reduction in the butt pad. Kick lite is in the system.

Frank

oli700 said:
After all the time with my Knoxx I tried the Hogue, it won’t be coming off in the foreseeable future
apparently the foreseeable future is slightly longer than a year......
I gave the Hogue a good honest try, and there are some things I really liked about it but at the end of the day I just kept clipping my nose with my thumb.
If I was shooting fairly static and thought about it half way it would be fine, hated the feeling of not wrapping my thumb not to mention its real hard not to do it.
Last weekend was shooting it with a couple friends and they each did it but they weren't used to the shooting style it needs, either head way back or don't wrap your thumb.
I was doing fine at it till one my buddies got up on a big gravel pile behind me and started throwing clays....that's when it would get me , just swinging all over trying to get them and it happen at least once per volley of clays.
Put the Knoxx back on today and took the entire powerpak cheek riser, shell holder and storage tube off....took it out and tried it , never shot it without all the powerpak stuff off and just a bead sight .
I missed it, for me so much better. The Hogue was just too short, oh well I always would have wondered if I didn't try it

Thanks, oli...

That's really good first-hand reporting and I appreciate you passing it along!

I had the Knoxx with powerpack. Its pretty much necessary to use an optic. But way to high for a bead. I just recently removed it and went back to a standard stock for HD use.

yeah, used to have a micro reflex on it and the powerpak worked great ....never tried the bare stock with a bead sight and was hoping the comb wasn't too high, its not thankfully . The stock feels better without all that stuff on the butt, plus the 5 shells in the holder

I bought a Blackhawk/Knoxx Spec Ops last weekend (not the recoil reducing model) for on my 500. Put it on Saturday, took it off Sunday. Didn't have to fire a shot.

It might be fine on something with the controls on the triggerguard, like an 870 (my bro tells me he had a maverick like that, but it's been sold and I've never seen one), but I've been using a Mossberg forever and am totally comfortable with things where they are.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

I bought a Blackhawk/Knoxx Spec Ops last weekend (not the recoil reducing model) for on my 500. Put it on Saturday, took it off Sunday. Didn't have to fire a shot.

It might be fine on something with the controls on the triggerguard, like an 870 (my bro tells me he had a maverick like that, but it's been sold and I've never seen one), but I've been using a Mossberg forever and am totally comfortable with things where they are.

Is this an issue with the slide release?

Slide release and safety for me. There are probably fixes out there..... safeties that come down the side of the receiver, or slid releases that have a kind of dog leg on them to be more easily reached from a pistol grip..... but I'm not into that. I wanted it smooth and streamlined, and honestly, I found a conventional stock more comfortable.

Slide release and safety for me. There are probably fixes out there..... safeties that come down the side of the receiver, or slid releases that have a kind of dog leg on them to be more easily reached from a pistol grip..... but I'm not into that. I wanted it smooth and streamlined, and honestly, I found a conventional stock more comfortable.

Same here. Conventional shotgun stocks for me.

Ive tried a few, the OP can love his fancy buttstock but the issues with pistol grip configuration remain, you have to compromise control of the weapon to reach the slide release, with the thumb or other fingers, even the photos demonstrate this.
Its not a matter of, can I train myself to unconsciously engage the safety or slide release when I pick up the weapon, its how well can I manipulate the safety and slide release and maintain control of the weapon in all foreseen or unforeseen situations and youd be hard pressed to convince anyone that uses their shotgun, that the factory style buttstock isnt slightly superior....for actual defense use.....aka tactical...not to be confused with tactiCOOL.
Why aftermarket hasnt addressed the slide release issue and to a lesser extent the safety, is beyond me.
oh well, I was bored, headline "truth about tactical stocks", struck a nerve. :D

The pistol grip tactical stocks may put the shooter at a slight disadvantage from being able to operate the safety and the slide release but in a household where i am 6'3 and have large hands and my wife is 4'10 with small hands it is quickly adaptable to both of us. The stock wood furniture on my other 500 makes it almost impossible for her to operate the pump and maintain a cheekweld at the same time.

The ultimate arms gear stock that came on my used shotgun is cheap and it does rattle a little bit but it doesn't have terrible recoil. As a bonus the pistol grip is pretty narrow and makes it easier for my wife to use the controls.

I may be the odd man out here, but I hardly ever use the slide release.

Only time I ever need to use it is for manually unloading the tube or during maintenance/cleaning. If your shotgun is loaded and at the ready for home defense or for range use, the trigger is your slide release. Once I'm empty at the range I engage the safety with the chamber open, drop a round onto the elevator, then return to battery. Once it's locked up I reload the tube and fire when ready. I can't recall a time when I've needed to operate the slide release while actually using the shotgun and I really don't understand why it is such an obstacle...

I may be the odd man out here, but I hardly ever use the slide release.

Only time I ever need to use it is for manually unloading the tube or during maintenance/cleaning. If your shotgun is loaded and at the ready for home defense or for range use, the trigger is your slide release. Once I'm empty at the range I engage the safety with the chamber open, drop a round onto the elevator, then return to battery. Once it's locked up I reload the tube and fire when ready. I can't recall a time when I've needed to operate the slide release while actually using the shotgun and I really don't understand why it is such an obstacle...
100% with you on that. I always drop the hammer on an empty chamber rendering the action unlocked and the tube full......aka cruiser ready. I usually keep all my weapons chambered but the shotgun because its just too easy to inadvertently slip the safe to fire after I put the Vangcomp safety button on .......but as your using it and if you go cruiser ready you never need the action release

On the 500 the safety is just too far away with a pistol grip. Too slow IMHO. The 500 with a standard stock is just right.

The sliding/folding stocks were meant to be used for stowing a shorter gun. It is a compromise when necessary. Havent tried one for recoil reduction but if it works it might be worthwhile.

If you must have an adjustable stock it would be the way to go.

I design and manufacture a tactical stock for Mossberg 500,590, and Maverick 88 series of shotguns, and have studied the subject a good bit--tang mounted safety can be an obstacle for some(except on 88)--cruiser ready, trigger group replacement, or practice is the only way to overcome this I am aware of.....it comes down to balancing features and benefits for the intended use of the weapon---

I made a spacer for my Hogue too shot LOP. I’ll use the inside holes to secure the butt pad onto the plastic and the drilled holes in the plastic to secure to the stock…..I am going to permanently stick the LS slip on over it all and be done with it. Going to put holes in the LS so I can unscrew the buttpad to take it apart but the LS will be as one with the buttpad forever
[/URL
]
[URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/IMGA0109_zpsdbfad96f.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Back