• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The very last line of defense?

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
More like never, as in not in the least. Don't even count them as part of any plan. Didn't we have a cat thread? I searched for it a few different ways and didn't see anything. Let me know if I've over looked it and ill move this.

Otherwise, yes, I'm talking about cats.

I have a couple barn cats, they're actually better than the dogs in some ways. They follow me everywhere and they're the first to greet me when I get home. They're not actually greeting me, they think I'm going to feed them. But they are right there on top of the jeep before I'm parked. And they're stone cold killers. Psychopathic even. There are dead things everywhere. They seem to be giving them to the dog.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I've got one that I see maybe once a month. She's fixed, and I leave food out. The rare occasions I see her she's usually hunting along the woods line, or in the field. Best cat I've ever had

I miss the last cat I had, Coolio. Sort of like yours only grey. Left him with the new tenants of the place I was renting as part of the privilege of them moving in after me. I couldn't take him here (FL) with me as my FIL was alergic to cats... :rolleyes: He would bring home lots of stuff but usually just bits and pieces... :D Bluejay head, rabbit ears and feet, an entire eel (we were about 400' from a salt water river). He and the dog would come running up the walk when I whistled. :p Both were "outdoor" animals unless real cold. Both would go out together making their begging rounds. This was in RI. If I get another, it will look like that one--light colored to better tolerate the heat.

I lock these two in the barn at night. You mention whistling, I clap my hands and call for them and they come running. Some evenings if I'm late getting out to put them away, they're waiting for me at the front door. I don't think they particularly like me, I'm mostly certain it's entirely food motivated.

We love our cats an awful lot around our abode. My wife about craps herself when one or two occasionally sneaks out at night because the dog is going in-and-out and a door might be left ajar for a few minutes, cuz' she is deathly afraid of them being hunted by marauders. Felines are cagey as hell and always have an alternate plan for everything in their head.

We keep 3 cats & 2 dogs, all neutered. I rarely see a mouse or a rat. The 5 of them keep the property pretty clean of vermin.

Back