• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The wood shop.

Well I discovered something the hard way that all you experienced Woodworkers probably already know.

I sealed the end grain of this wood before the saw marks were sanded out. When I realized my mistake and tried to block it off, that sealer had soaked far into the end-grain.

I scratched it with a 36 grit sanding board for quite a while to remove the staining of just clear urethane.

I sanded so much that I screwed up my routed edge too. The round over was easy to fix with the sanding board. The ogee will be more difficult. I'm just going to dress it out by hand with sandpaper and a board and a dowel, and no one will notice, but by rights I have taken off so much I should dress it with the router. It's a short edge however and I will do it out by hand.

Live n learn. Now you know what not to do on the next tank table top....
:laugh:

Well it all came out okay with a liberal application of elbow grease.

And since I didn't recoat with oil based varnish I didn't have to wait 72 hours. I was able to get two more coats on the edges after blocking them out and finish sanding.

Most of my efforts today went into finish sanding the Shelf which will go up above the aquarium.

It's very hard to tell where the water-based varnish Blends into the oil based varnish. Once it is rubbed out we won't be able to tell at all.

Some people just don't get it....

"Why do your pens cost so much more than Joe So & so's pens???"

"Well, I guess it is because we each understand the value of our work."

And as time goes on you build a crap pile of blown blanks, orphan kit parts, hours spent accomplishing nothing while thinking you are doing something, start overs, disappointments, tools that didn't perform as promised, and on and on.

There's a lot of junk involved in pens, it's a challenge to make something that stops people in their tracks time after time.

"For a pen???"

"No, not for a pen, for everything that went into THAT pen."

Pen making ain't as easy as it appears to those who ain't doing it.

Many people have no respect for true craftsmanship.

If they can find something that looks the same from some Chinese web site, ebay or whatever they are are ok with the cheapest option.

We live in an age of knockoffs and forgeries that continually devalue the originals.

I made a new favorite....this one uses the G2 ink refills. I'm not impressed with em. I love the pen, just not the ink. I had made a few custom ones colored pink for a customer, and they backed out when the $65 price tag showed up. Hey, it's not a normal pen you can get anywhere. and he asked for them specifically to be made in pink colors and to use the g2 ink. Whatever. Next time, I'll get half upfront before making a custom order like that kind again.....
anyhow...here's the new favorite of mine followed by the pink ones....

1530044930899.jpg

I've been fine tuning my shapes. I like how this one came out....

1530198351313.jpg

I like this rollerball kit...This one is made from Yellow Cedar Burl. Not cheap at all....

1532541874935.jpg

ok...that's it for now. I need to go make something....hmm....

Man, those look awesome.

I bet the new shape really fits in your hand and writes well.

Yeah, I've noticed even on the smallest setting on my camera, I'm getting error (too big) messages for a while now. I'm curious if a board setting has changed ?????

Anyway, those are going to look great.

In a short hijack, I only have about 26sq foot left to go on the oak hardwood flooring. Plus the 4x4' closet and closet shelves, but I welcome doing the shelves. Being able to stand up and work will be a lot easier on my old blown out knees.

Sadly, in my younger days, I would've probably had the floor done in about 4 evenings working on it after I got off work. Now, I've been over a week working on it on and off. I have realized that this will probably be the last hardwood floor that I ever do. I'm just not able to crawl around on my knees and getting up and down constantly anymore.

I'm having to cull out a lot more wood than I thought I should have to. Stuff with knots on the edges that will split and bust out in no time flat. Being tongue and groove, I'm finding a bunch of boards that have no tongue that I'm having to cull out. And these weren't factory seconds or blems either. I decided that if I have enough cull to make up a whole box, I'm going to stack them back in the box like the factory did and take them back and get a refund for the unusued portion. Over $50 a box, you're darn straight I'll take them back. And of course, I'm finding most of them pieces hidden in the middle of the stack in the box, so this falls back on the company they're buying their stuff from.

But, so far, so good. With any luck, I'll finish it later this evening or sometime tomorrow. Me and my wife both are ready to get our house back. It looks like a cyclone went through it.

W0oeOwr.jpg

9SL4o8v.jpg

Back