• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The wood shop.

Rats....I was gona keep that in my collection. Oh well...I can make another one....

Nice....what kind of wood? Finish?
Any build pix?

Used Firring strips and 4 old coffee table legs, and a bunch of premade decorative dowels (I don't have a wood lathe :(). And 4 wooden drawer pulls on top of the legs. Not a lot to this little project, other than drilling a bunch of holes LOL Hardest thing was the little rockers and it wasn't real bad.

I used Natural cherry Minwax polyshade (stain and poly mix). It's just been something I've been working on and off with on rainy days.

I used one of my nieces old toys to get the rough pattern for it.

Hopefully it'll stand up to a couple years of doll rockin' LOL

That is really lovely John. I never built one of those but I built some simple rocking horses for the kids.

Right now I'm still trying to get this bar top and shelf finished out.

I'm using Minwax Pro Ultra Spar polyurethane, over the bare Baltic Birch.

Because I didn't stain it to raise the grain, plus it needed a little extra leveling, I sanded the first three coats of clear practically back to bare wood. The first coat of clear poly didn't just raise the grain but it also raised spots in the woods so I had to relevel it. Here you see the three pieces I cut.

20171111_203508_resized.jpg

That was one piece 1.75"x25"x96" but I've cut it into a 16"x64" top and 9"x64" Shelf. The Shelf is sitting bad side up. The other two pieces are good side up.

This leaves me a scrap 25x32". That's about a $75 scrap!

Anyhow I think I'll make it into a rolling BBQ Cart or something.

Last edited:
So in case you guys didn't know this, California has a special Lumber tax, which we pay on every board.

This is a 1% tax on top of the 8.325% sales tax We already pay, so the tax on a stick of lumber is nearly 10%.

I'm paying that from an income on which I've already paid about 30% taxes.

Usury! Total usury...

Last edited:
Didn't know that.

You're really not helping change my mind about never going there.

Yeah Feinstein wants all our guns and and Gov Brown wants to make climate deals with foreign Nations as if he were the actual president.

When you listen to Brown talk on the radio he is always over-excited and kind of sloppy, like he's half jacked-up all the time.

I don't know what the hell he is on, but I wish the guy would just OD or jump into the ocean and disappear.

And then Feinstein, Boxer and Harris should all jump in and try to save him.

Sorry guys I'm way off topic

By the way RipJack, The Snake wood pen was just beautiful. I actually bought it for a present but it was so nice I couldn't bear to give it away.

I must have a bad selfish streak. I went to the store yesterday and I bought two more saw blades just because I liked the way they look.

I bought an Irwin classic and I brought a DeWalt Precision framing.

I use the DeWalt to cut up that bar top and I really liked it.

So far my favorite saw blade has been the Irwin Marathon but that may change...

Used Firring strips and 4 old coffee table legs, and a bunch of premade decorative dowels (I don't have a wood lathe :(). And 4 wooden drawer pulls on top of the legs. Not a lot to this little project, other than drilling a bunch of holes LOL Hardest thing was the little rockers and it wasn't real bad.

I used Natural cherry Minwax polyshade (stain and poly mix). It's just been something I've been working on and off with on rainy days.

I used one of my nieces old toys to get the rough pattern for it.

Hopefully it'll stand up to a couple years of doll rockin' LOL

Looks good John. You do know, you can turn wood on the metal lathe. just not the other way around. A lot of pen makers do this. There's more precision on it. The guys who make pens from scratch, no kits, and they make their own threads. the only thing they buy is the fountain pen nib and the ink, and maybe the clip. I'm not good enough yet to do my own threads yet, but I got a nice old rockwell lathes from the 50's that was used in school. I just need to get a banjo (tool holder) for it and I can use it.

Sorry guys I'm way off topic

By the way RipJack, The Snake wood pen was just beautiful. I actually bought it for a present but it was so nice I couldn't bear to give it away.

I must have a bad selfish streak. I went to the store yesterday and I bought two more saw blades just because I liked the way they look.

I bought an Irwin classic and I brought a DeWalt Precision framing.

I use the DeWalt to cut up that bar top and I really liked it.

So far my favorite saw blade has been the Irwin Marathon but that may change...

I actually thought you got the pen for yourself. ha...I can make another one, not out of snake though. I just bought a few more of those pen kits. They hold up well, and people like em, so it will be one of my regulars on hand.

Have you looked at diablo blades? I have those on my table saw and chop saw. Skill saw is some no name brand stuff cut it gets used for rough cutting.

I'm loving those long boards.....

as soon as I'm done with this pita shotgun stock, I'll be back on the lathe. Been away from it too long....

That is really nice John!!

Thanks Mike. That explains some of the absence on my online activities LOL.

That stock was looking good ripjack. It's going to worth the work once you finish.

My lathe is not set up for wood. I'd have to swap over a lot of parts to switch.

And besides, the bed (working space) is only 12 inches long, so I can make some spindles and other small stuff, but anything larger than 10-12 inches or so wouldn't fit at all.

I'd probably start with a 4" oak limb and finish with splinters and toothpicks and would look more like a porcupine than a spindle LOL

10640.jpeg
If you look close you can see that I still need to dress this Edge as I did not get all the saw marks off.

Otherwise the top has four brush coats of spar varnish, sanded in between, And a heavy coat of Spar urethane from a spray bomb.

I think the shop temperature was a little too cool and it Orange Peeled slightly, but I think it's going to get sanded again and another can of spar varnish.

Last edited:
Evidently, I flipped this thing around and sanded the same end twice.

Here it's really obvious what I did not sand out. At least it's heavily sealed.
10642.jpeg
This is shown upside down, and on the edge you can see I used a Roman Ogee router bit.

I have a set of these I've Barely Used and I could have chosen a different one, but I just like the name Roman ogee. :D

I am really ticked off about messing up that end of the board.

This is one of those things you do when you stay up too late at night and you're tired. I rough sanded one end then I fliped the board around. In the process I had to turn my workbench which rolls. Then I fliped the board over.

In the process I only rough sanded one end of the board, or I should say I rough sanded the same end of the board twice, and I didn't realize it until I got a good strong light on it and stuck my face right in the grain.
Dammitall...

Of course I finish sanded it without seeing this, and so put on 4 coats of varnish, sanding in between each coat and then top coat it with a spray can. That spray can varnish requires 72 hours to cure completely.

Anyhow this morning I blocked the edge down with 36 grit. After three grits and an hour of sanding it looked really good. I put a sealer coat of Minwax Pro ultimate spar varnish which is water-based and dries quickly. I'll do about four more coats of that, over the next two days, and by that time I'll be able to shoot it with a spray can again.

Just for the record I put Minwax Helmsman indoor/outdoor spar polyurethane varnish spray oil base, over Minwax Pro ultimate spar indoor/outdoor polyurethane varnish water-based. Everything went down nice and it doesn't seem to lift the water-based varnish.

I just Blended the edge with the water-based varnish and a brush and it didn't lift the uncured oil-based varnish, which is only been there 12 hours out of the 72!

But I won't try to shoot more oil based varnish over anything for another two days. Then it needs to cure three more days.

I was hoping to have this aquarium setup by Thanksgiving when the kids come over but it may not happen.

Curses! Foiled again!

Last edited:
If you put a heater in your shop will it speed things up to dry.....

It's a nice sunny day here I could sit them outside but there's a bit of Tree Pollen/ debris blowing around.

I do have a heater but I haven't had to use it. My garage is fully insulated. I normally heat or air condition it just by opening the connecting door to the house. If it's really hot or cold I'll put a circulation fan in the doorway.

I also put an exhaust fan in the ceiling because I knew I'd be painting in here. But I had to let all the fumes get sucked out before I could open that door to the house.

Anyhow my garage stays pretty warm and my idea of Cold Shop temperatures nowadays is 65.

Back