• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Things I really want from Mossberg

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
OK, so nothing physical or tangible... These are the things I'd like to see in production, or changes.

Not fixed breacher choke tubes (the cookie cutter thingy) They look cool and all, but they will flat ruin a gear bag or a MOLLE scabard
How about a flash hider or something functional of that nature?

How about a ported barrel option, say for my 590A1?

A little more interchangability in the part #'s, you know what I'm sayin? "I like this on this gun, but not this so much" so maybe a little more interactive with the end user, the ability to order and purchase something to "my" specs. That may not even be realistic, I dunno. I guess if things like breacher chokes werent fixed it wouldnt be an issue...

Something else, if they can do a breacher choke tube, how about just a functional poted choke tube?

Rossignol said:
Something else, if they can do a breacher choke tube, how about just a functional poted choke tube?

i second that, i also would like to see a removable breacher tube and barrels that mount to the extension tube like other brands do (meaning that its a clamp instead of a fixed setup where to get a different extension tube you need to get a different barrel)

I dont mind the mags too much, and I understand why they are the way they are. And with Mossberg, if you want a longer magazine, theres an app for that. lol! had to say that, but

I dont mind the mags too much, and I understand why they are the way they are. And with Mossberg, if you want a longer magazine, theres an app for that. lol! had to say that, but you know, there a model (part#) with a full length mag.

The problem I have with "otherbrands" is it can be a chore to put an extension on for 2 shells. Additionally Mossbergs design allows basic takedown with no extra tools, you can easily turn the cap with your hands. So I get that.

Re: ported barrels-
The SPX model has it, but that means you have the huge SPX sight too.
If you really want a ported barrel, the only way may be to send it to Mike at Aimpro for the work. I don't know that Mossberg will ever offer the ports on the plain 590/590A1. Which is too bad, because there are a LOT of people that are interested in that feature.
Re: chokes-
There are a FEW threaded barrels for the 500/590 out there. Rob Clements has them from time to time, and you'll also find them at Havlin's on occasion.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I have found ported barrels and ported choke tubes to be a joke. They are a sales gimmick in my opinion. I have used different guns with and without them. You are better off spending your money on ammo and practicing more. Again, just my opinion. What I would like to see from Mossberg is for them to take great intense measures to protect their already excellent quality control. Remington let their QC fall apart and they are paying the price. Word of mouth is the best advertising, and I am proud of Mossberg for their excellent quality, especially since their products are value priced and used for real world, tough and dirty hunting in adverse conditions. Keep up the good work!

I appreciate that perspective, but on the bbl porting, I will likely do the VCS. Is it a necessity? Nope. I have heard many excellent things however on the VCS.

I agree with you on the other points, well said.

Ultimate CC said:
I really want Mossberg to make an AR-15 :twisted:

Seriously, a functional AR, with a real delta ring and charging handle and choice of uppers like 5.56 or 6.8 since they can use the same lower. Make it so it breaks down and goes back up like an actual AR, and if I want the quick take down pin from Yankee Hill, then let it be made so I have that option. Heck, I may even wanna try a longer bbl someday and change out the forearm. I dont really care if its blowback or piston, I may never clean it anyway, and I wont be using it for 600 yard shots, your choice there. But please no fixed A2 carry handle! Please some offering with at least a flat top receiver if not an option of a MRP upper. Real parts please! dust cover, bolt and carrier, trigger assy. 30 rd. magazines... you know what I'm sayin.

Big thing, we like options, not being locked in. Additionally, we understand there is a cost associated with well made, performance firearms. We can handle it. But at least send it to R&D and see what you come up with! Please!!!

Brad.

There are several good sources of ported choke tubes for mossbergs (Trulock, Briley, Carlson) and several good, inexpensive barrel porters (Rob Roberts is my favorite for price, quality, and service), but I cant find anywhere to get a trigger shoe.

Put the metal safety back on the standard 500. It's got to cost them a whole $4 or so to do it up front.

a 20 gauge nofrills HD 930--plastic stock, short barrel, vent rib or slightly oversized front sight, at least 5 +1 capacity

I would like to see them chamber the 5mm Remington in their 817 platform. That would give a guy a modern and affordable rimfire rifle with all of the best attributes of the 17HMR and 22WMR. I know that I would buy one and I think a lot of other people would too, now that 5mm ammo is available again.

I wish that Mossberg would produce an ATR carbine chambered for the 7.62x39 Russian. An 18.5" barrel would be just about right. This would make a great deer & wild hog piece and be easy to handle in tight and brushy 'deer woods. I owned a CZ set up like this but 'in a very stupid moment' I ended up trading it for an AR in 6.8 SPC. The AR is fine but I sure miss the CZ. I thought I was making money at the time because he was allowing me way more than I had paid for the CZ. CZ 527 carbines went from $350 to over $650 in the past 3 years and I just can't justify spending that much to replace it and the special rings that you have to buy to fit a CZ run over $60. CZ sold 7.62's like hotcakes when they were priced right and I'm sure that Mossberg would too. I know I'd jump at the chance to get one.

Oh yeah! While I dont care about it being chambered for Russian ammo, a carbine length 30.06 or .308 would be awesome, especially an auto loader!

Man, I hope Mossberg reads this...

I would be all for a 7.62x39 mossberg 4x4 with 18.5" barrel! That would be a sweet rifle. :twisted:

I would like to see a big loop version of the Mossberg 464 lever action 30-30.

Different stock options for the 930. Adjustable/colapsable stocks? Aftermarket stuff?

A little bird told me an aftermarket collapsible stock will be hitting the market this spring time hopefully.

Ultimate CC said:
A little bird told me an aftermarket collapsible stock will be hitting the market this spring time hopefully.

:) I was hoping you would seee this and have some insight regarding stock options having just come from SHOT!

Thanks!

Back