• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thinking of getting a Mossberg 590A1

Like the title says...

I'm thinking of getting a Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose 9 Shot with Speed Feed Butt Stock #51668
(i cant ditch my reliable 500 persuader 7+1 but I want something super heavy duty)

QUESTIONS I WANT TO KNOW BEFORE PURCHASING :?:

1. It says 9 shot, so that's 8 in the magazine tube and 1 in the chamber?
2. How many rounds can fit in the Speed Feed Butt Stock?
3. Mossberg.com says that the finish is "Parkerized" can you Mossberg Genius's tell me how much better a parkerized shotgun is compared to a blued shotgun like my 500 Persuader?
4. Anything else I should know about this shotgun would help. Ill be purchasing it in early August and I want to research it as much as I can before I choose something I will not like.

P.S. My Mossberg 500 Persuader was a spontaneous buy, thought the pistol grip looked cool, turns out that pistol grips are pieces of ****. I like the butt stock, it allows me to aim REALLY WELL, and shoot slugs with super accuracy. I want the 590A1 because of the high shell capacity and the ghost ring sight, hopefully the ghost ring sights are better than my factory bead sights on my 500 Persuader, although I have pretty much mastered the bead sight lol. Thanks in Advance!!

-id be lost if it wernt for this wonderful site... just sayin :mrgreen:

First of all, I think its an awesome firearm and great choice! I have both the Persuader and 590A1, I enjoy both thoroughly!!!

1. Correct
2. 4
3. Both show signs of wear and both will rust if not cared for. Its a mil-spec finish save for the receiver with is some sort of anodized finish as its an aluminum alloy
4. Mine was stiff initially and the action seemed sticky, it didnt "flow". A good cleanin and lots of rounds through it slicked up nicely. It breaks down identically to the 500 so dont be afraid to get into it and get all the grease cleaned out, then oil lightly. Get out and shoot repeatedly!

I still use bead sights on both the Persuader and 590A1. I am inclined to agree and share your feelings on the PGO and much prefer the stock myself. I wont knock someone using a PGO, but there are def better control methods available to the user.

Back