• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thinking outside the box

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Since it's next to impossible to find components to load just about anything right now, it's a given that this also includes components for shotshells.

So, sometimes you need to think outside the box.

This evening, I was looking online for a lead mold for 00 Buckshot. Can't find one anywhere. I may even end up making my own mold to be honest. That doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult.

But for now, since I couldn't find any lead buckshot anywhere in the continental United States after an hour and a half looking online, I started to think about other items that could be used instead.

Why not steel ball bearings or slingshot ammo?

Viola'. I found some bulk 1500 count bags of .31" steel ball bearings at amazon for $25. While slightly smaller diameter than 00 buck, this would be 1-ought diameter. And may even let me put another pellet or two per wad.

Since they weigh a little less than lead, my velocity will go up some, and will work even better at closer range that you'd generally use a shotgun for anyway. I understand that penetration at longer range would suffer some, hopefully the improved accuracy and harder metal may work better for what and how I would use it for anyway. If we're going to be honest with ourselves, I doubt most of us would be shooting them at more than 50 yards anyway so downrange performance should hopefully still be adequate.

So, while you can get 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and even 1/2" diameter steel balls in bulk, I wanted the 5/16". The 1/4" would probably be great for coyote though unless you were selling the hides.

Just thought I'd pass it along for anyone that is looking for some components. Or anyone that can't find any buckshot and wanted to dump some of the bulk skeet shells and replace them with these larger pellets. We already know that will work and have went down this path before.

I bought the mold, roll crimper and 50# of lead a few years back to make my own slugs.

Those componants have just become pretty valuable.

I still have most of a bag if shot, lots of wads and hundreds if hulls if I need to get back to reloading shot as well. My weakness is primers. I still have some but have used a fair amount in my muzzeloader iver the years.

And I'm still loving my wax slugs. After firing 100s and 100s of them, I've yet to have one fail. :thumbsup: Take care. Tom Worthington

Since it's next to impossible to find components to load just about anything right now, it's a given that this also includes components for shotshells.

So, sometimes you need to think outside the box.

This evening, I was looking online for a lead mold for 00 Buckshot. Can't find one anywhere. I may even end up making my own mold to be honest. That doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult.

But for now, since I couldn't find any lead buckshot anywhere in the continental United States after an hour and a half looking online, I started to think about other items that could be used instead.

Why not steel ball bearings or slingshot ammo?

Viola'. I found some bulk 1500 count bags of .31" steel ball bearings at amazon for $25. While slightly smaller diameter than 00 buck, this would be 1-ought diameter. And may even let me put another pellet or two per wad.

Since they weigh a little less than lead, my velocity will go up some, and will work even better at closer range that you'd generally use a shotgun for anyway. I understand that penetration at longer range would suffer some, hopefully the improved accuracy and harder metal may work better for what and how I would use it for anyway. If we're going to be honest with ourselves, I doubt most of us would be shooting them at more than 50 yards anyway so downrange performance should hopefully still be adequate.

So, while you can get 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and even 1/2" diameter steel balls in bulk, I wanted the 5/16". The 1/4" would probably be great for coyote though unless you were selling the hides.

Just thought I'd pass it along for anyone that is looking for some components. Or anyone that can't find any buckshot and wanted to dump some of the bulk skeet shells and replace them with these larger pellets. We already know that will work and have went down this path before.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precisio...12473583&sprefix=buckshot+mold,aps,336&sr=8-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-Mold-S...175015?hash=item1cd943aba7:g:XHkAAOSw3~VdeV66

Take care. Tom Worthington

@Tom396 I have seen the double priced buckshot molds and am not interested in those prices at all. Those were under $40 a few months ago (yes, I should've got one then but I didn't).

I do believe that I could make a decent mold. They may not be perfect, but would be an improvement over what I have now.

Ordered an 8mm ball endmill bit from ebay. I'll order a 3/8" thick 8x8" aluminum plate in a couple of weeks and will use it to be able to make a lot of pellets at once for each pour.

I think I'll be able to make my own as long as I can measure off my marks well enough.

I loaded some strange 12ga last time I was casting slugs.

I loaded several with used primers, as I had saved a can full of them, and never tossed them out, so what the hell?
I have a million miniature screws from scrapping computers, and I loaded some of them.
I also did some wax loads with old scarred .22 projectiles, from my collection of duds and dented ammo.

I was hoping to go shoot patterns with them back when TSHTF last Feb.

You can still get flechettes on debay... :D

I got 12,000 BBs and a few 100 slingshot ammo at WM a couple weeks ago. And a strap for the wrist rocket.

Rebuilt the Crosman 1377 at that time, also. Top to bottom from around 25': 10 pumps, 5, 7 then 10 again. :) I ended up having to get the kit shown on the bottom. About $21. The other seal kit was a little over $6.

flechettes.jpg

6000bbs.jpg

1377done.jpg

cros1.jpg

partskit.jpg

I had a crosman pellet gun very similar to that. Wish I still had it. But the seals went bad on mine and I ended up trading it for something else.

These things are so cheap and the seals are so expensive, that to rebuild it almost doesn’t make sense, unless it is very old.

I’ll probably never bother to fix my co2 revolver. It will be at least 50 years old by the time I die, and so maybe someone will get it and eventually fix it up as an antique.

The pistol that I had was nice. It shot well, and was pretty good. I want to say that the one that I had, was an actual walnut wood rear target grip. I would just about bet money on it.

Dad bought it from western auto. I remember the price sticker on it. And it had a formed styrofoam bottom part of the box that the gun stayed in most of the time and the heavy printed cardboard front.

And I'm still loving my wax slugs. After firing 100s and 100s of them, I've yet to have one fail. :thumbsup: Take care. Tom Worthington
Tell me about that wax.. i want to make my own breacher rounds.. wax and metal powder.. or similar with same effect :D

These things are so cheap and the seals are so expensive, that to rebuild it almost doesn’t make sense, unless it is very old.

I’ll probably never bother to fix my co2 revolver. It will be at least 50 years old by the time I die, and so maybe someone will get it and eventually fix it up as an antique.

The "oldies" (like mine) are still bringing pretty good money. My gun was used in a boat (yacht) shed to harass the pigeons living in the rafters pooping on our stuff. When the owner of the gun quit the job, I "inherited" the gun. That was over 20 years ago. It got a new O-ring between the barrel and air chamber about 5 years ago. That wasn't the issue this time...

I had a .22 CO2 revolver, S&W "replica". Sold on GB about 5 years ago for $70ish I think.

13774sale.JPG

Tell me about that wax.. i want to make my own breacher rounds.. wax and metal powder.. or similar with same effect :D

Melt a candle over birdshot.

The wax helps hold it together during flight for a duration.

I want the shot to disintegrate at hit, avoid ricochets...
Sounds like you are waiting for DDupleks Caviar shells to become available again. Of course you are making these yourself,so virtually no cost except the wax and availability of shells on hand.lol I’m still hoping to get a box or two of these to tide me over in the zombie apocalypse..lolACD2BC28-CFE6-4E72-9BBD-2179C418BD84.png

Last edited:
Back