• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

This is a dam problem

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
OK, I know the title of the topic probably got your attention, but this really is a dam problem.

From what I have read, Lake Oroville is the second largest lake/dam in California, and it's eroded/breaching

Here is a photo from yesterday

Oroville%20Spillway%201_1486509947258_5803605_ver1.0_640_360.JPG

And they decided to lower the lake and released up to 55,000 cubic feet of water per second in an attempt to lower water levels and reduce pressure.

In draining that much water, it looks as if it has further compromised the dams structural stability and is now in multiple pieces judging from the latest photo I have seen.

C4Pcs-ZUkAAJc0k.jpg:small

16508497_10154383244897039_5264948856058156870_n.png.jpg

My suggestion to anyone down stream of this place, make sure your flood insurance is paid up, and you may want to schedule a vacation to get out of dodge for a while.

video/interview here
http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article131579999.html

Thats gonna take more than a thumb!!

Yeah, they better have a lot of chewing gun to fix that hole.

And looks like they're dumping a lot more water down the spillway today.

dam%20release%20thurs_1486670238017_5818652_ver1.0_640_360.JPG

The dam isn't damaged, it's the spillway...but still...that's not good.

It looks worse than it is. 50 ft of dirt is gone from a dam 500ft thick at that point.

But repairing it will have to wait on the weather.

Those pics make it look bad, but look at a real pic of the dam in the Summer.
640px-OrovilleDam.jpg

That spillway is on the side of a mountain, not the actual dam.

The first two pics make it look like the damage is near the top of the spillway. The overhead shows how long the spillway actually is. It also appears that the spillway is not part of the actual dam but built on a solid foundation to the side. But is needs to be repaired otherwise subsequent discharges will cause it to further erode. Don't think the dam is at risk of collapsing. But it shows how easily Ma Nature can undo man's work.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132332499.html

BREAKING: Threat of Oroville spillway collapse prompts evacuation of Marysville, Yuba, Butte and Sutter counties

spillway0212.jpg

inundation.jpg

progression.jpg

Flows boosted to try to avoid collapse
5:52 p.m.
Releases through the main spillway at Oroville Dam have been boosted to 100,000 cubic feet per second from 55,000 cfs in hopes of easing pressure on the emergency spillway before a failure occurs, officials said Sunday night.
Kevin Dossey, a Department of Water Resources engineer and spokesman said “it might help” to alleviate the pressure.
So far, Dossey said, the emergency spillway’s concrete lip at the top has not crumbled, although the hillside had “eroded to within several feet” of the big concrete structure.
Marysville and Yuba County ordered evacuated; officials unsure how Sacramento could be hit

They have been trying to plug up the erosion by dropping rocks by helicopter. I think it's a pretty hopeless effort. If errosion gets so bad it undermines the top of the spillway, there could be uncontrolled flooding.

Jesus, i looked at that last night. Was out of town over the weekend so out of touch with the news. I was very wrong about that setup. I hope and pray for everyone below the dam that it remains intact. Almost 200K are being told to evacuate.

The lake is dropping, so they say a breach is probably preventable. The weather here in the valley has cleared today, but still cold higher up.

Helicopters is a tough way ($$$) to build a dam.

^ Do you care to elaborate?

Or did you mean they were still talking about how evil everyone is for wanting to deport illegals with criminal records while ignoring the infrastructure to achieve their end goal putting the lives and livelihood of everyone down stream at risk of catastrophic loss?

Back