• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Threaded pistol barrels

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
In anticipation of a booster/decoupler for one of my 9mm cans, I've been busy.

I'll be upfront and let you know that Nick threaded the Storm Lake XD and Canik pistol barrels because I don't have a 4 jaw chuck and I'm unable to center and hold the barrels straight due to how pistol barrels are made. And since he threaded the canik barrel, I let him make the barrel extension so I know the threading would match up perfectly while he had his machine set up for it while doing the barrel itself. He did a really good job making it. The hex shoulder was a really nice touch.

I made the extension on the 9mm conversion barrel on the XD. They turned out really good and now I'm going to have to get busy on the booster.

But USPS still hasn't delivered my replacement directional toggle switch for my lathe. I went to turn it on the other day and reverse the feed and it was frozen and wouldn't budge. So, before I can do anything on the lathe, I have to draw a wiring diagram and replace it.

Anyway, I'm a step closer than I was to suppressing a few handguns. One thing that I haven't been too interested in until lately.

Canik S120 (CZ75 clone) and Springfield XD40 with 9mm conversion barrel

mF0XHba.jpg

XjyZZqh.jpg

A little Walther P22 with an aftermarket thread extension
aMglZLF.jpg

And the Beretta Centurion that I threaded using a surplus Beretta M9 barrel. Since the Centurion slide is shorter, made the M9 barrel the perfect length to thread to use on it. No extension needed.

aVbfWxa.jpg

ymFCdYv.jpg

SKGzmEt.jpg

Thank you. I've never really been into shooting handguns suppressed. But this does open up an aspect that I have totally avoided.

That's a mighty big compliment and very kind of you, but no. I've made my fair share of "dad-gone-it !!! moments".

As for the Lathe work, other than occasionally watching some good material on youtube, I'm pretty much self taught and limited in what I can do. I would feel confident enough to wager that much of it is a lot more luck than skill. So much that I don't know far out shadows what little I do.

Just being honest about it.

When I was younger, I had to rely on other people to do work on stuff when I had an idea or wanted to change something. That got old. And obviously expensive.

I mainly wanted to be as self sufficient as possible in my hobby. So, over time, I have purchased tools and machinery to do it myself and put forth the effort to try to do what I took a fancy for.

There are still times where I know something is beyond my (or my tools) capability and I still rely on others (like having the canik barrel above threaded). But I do most of my work myself now with few exceptions. I like it better that way.

My fourth grade teacher, Mr. Smith, used to tell us that knowledge is power. And if you know something, ain't nobody but God can take that away from you. So, early on, he instilled in us kids the desire to want to know how to learn and do stuff. He was a really good man, and teacher. We were really lucky to have him as a teacher.

Even told us one story about Einstein relating to knowledge.

How did Einstein smuggle out his notes out of Nazi Germany?

17e5ns.jpg

The canik is the most accurate 9mm pistol that I have. Really well made too.

They do have a few differences over cz75, but a lot of the parts are interchangeable. Slides and barrels however is not one of those things unfortunately. The barrel and slide bushing are super close tolerances to each other. That's why I think is one of the reasons it's so accurate. The barrel is like .508" diameter and the slide bushing is .510" diameter. That's only a couple hundreths. Most of my other guns have a lot of slop between the two contact surfaces.

A little funny story, my middle son was shooting it and doing really well with it too. First time he had ever picked it up. So, he feels froggy and says I bet I can outshoot you with it. So, for giggles, I told him if he outshoots me with it that he wouldn't have to do his chores for 2 days. So, he says lets go.

We use paper plate and a 5 bullets each at 10 steps away. He hits all 5.

I shoot mine, all 5.

So he's feeling really really good at this point. Until I said OK, lets move back 5 more steps.

The next time he hit 4 and I hit 4. Still a tie.

OK, lets' move back 5 more steps. He missed both his first two shots and says man this is getting a lot harder. LOL

In the end, he still has to do his chores, but only by one shot. <LOL

What I'm getting at, is if someone who's never picked up the gun can do that well with it, I consider that a good gun.

Thanks. Now to try to find a couple sets of suppressor height sights for those two.

Thanks. Now to try to find a couple sets of suppressor height sights for those two.

Ya know i surely HATE tall suppressor sights, and we gettin old eyes anyway. So quit beating around bush and mount some red/green dots, they cheap and work well plus when you want easy peasy to go back to standard sights, no pushin pullin smakin bangin. You got the skills to make it happen. Thumb is 5 rounds 25 paces off hand good ole weaver stance, the green dot is minute of squirrel possum bad actor all day long. Ps.... Ever have a aggravating squirrel while ya in tree stand deer hunting etc... Keep in backpack for that occasion
20181029_093620_HDR.jpg 20181029_094036.jpg

I can kinda "look over" the can and line up many of my shots, but since the can is such a large diameter, it blocks the sight picture.

I can kinda "look over" the can and line up many of my shots, but since the can is such a large diameter, it blocks the sight picture.
Yes sir agreed on that, ya know some balk at the thought but my lil pocket rocket .380 with miserable sights. Solution I dont use em, followed ole instructor zero, learned to use the force for real i practice with that one shooting pure point instinct(alot practice) im currently at 15 yards all shots on a paper plate el rapido as the lil gun is carried for. So USE the force LOL
Ps build ya ruger .22 you will be soooo happy ya did. Promise

I have seriously thought about a 22/45. I have a few saved in my computer bookmarks when I catch them on sale, but I haven't been able to bring one home yet.

On a side note, I applied to build a form 1 22lr can this morning. It will be wider than the 22/45 barrel, so it wont' match the pistol as well as yours does. It'll be about 1.25" diameter. Do you know what the diameter of the 22/45 barrel is? I'm assuming around .90"'ish

I have seriously thought about a 22/45. I have a few saved in my computer bookmarks when I catch them on sale, but I haven't been able to bring one home yet.

On a side note, I applied to build a form 1 22lr can this morning. It will be wider than the 22/45 barrel, so it wont' match the pistol as well as yours does. It'll be about 1.25" diameter. Do you know what the diameter of the 22/45 barrel is? I'm assuming around .90"'ish

Mine mikes at like .876ish

Back