• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

TN Gun Law SB1774/HB1480 - Unlicensed Vehicle Carry

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
This one passed back in May, and went into effect on 7/1/14. Just realized I hadn't posted it up on the forum...

TN SB1774/HB1480

Subject: Firearms and Ammunition

Description: As enacted, creates an exception to the offense of carrying a firearm in public without a handgun carry permit that the person carrying or possessing a firearm or ammunition in a motor vehicle is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm and is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Bill Summary

Present law generally prohibits persons from carrying weapons with the intent to go armed, however, it is an exception to the general prohibition that:

(1) A person authorized with a valid handgun carry permit is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber. Although, the person does not violate this exemption by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense; or
(2) A person who does not have a handgun carry permit is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber or cylinder, and no clip or magazine containing ammunition is inserted in the rifle or shotgun or is in close proximity to both the weapon and any person.

This bill replaces the exceptions described in (1) and (2) with a general exception to the prohibition against carrying a weapon with the intent to go armed so that a person carrying or possessing a firearm in a motor vehicle will not commit an offense if:
(1) The person is not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a firearm; and
(2) The motor vehicle is privately-owned.

ON APRIL 9, 2014, THE SENATE ADOPTED AMENDMENT #1 AND PASSED SENATE BILL 1774, AS AMENDED.

AMENDMENT #1 revises this bill's exception to the present law prohibition against carrying a weapon with the intent to go armed so that a person carrying or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle will not commit an offense if the person:

(1) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by federal law or purchasing a firearm under state law; and
(2) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle.

Also, under this amendment, motor vehicles that are owned or leased by a governmental or private employer for the use of such employer's employees will not be covered by this bill's exception if the employer has adopted a written policy prohibiting firearms or ammunition not required for employment within their motor vehicles.

Simply put, as of July 1st 2014 TN residents legally allowed to own a firearm may now lawfully carry a loaded pistol, rifle, or shotgun in their personal vehicle without a state issued Handgun Carry Permit...

Last edited:
I'm still a Texas boy at heart, but TN has been a pretty nice place to hang my hat for the past few years...

Bought myself 5 acres just outside mount pleasant. Paid off. Hopefully in about 5 years,start to build me a little house and a shop building! So when I load up my truck and head out of this hell hole called california, all I need to do is figure out how to organize my tools in the shop. That is the plan anyway for now,

Very nice LES. You know I'm on board any time they make it easier on gun owners. As far as TN in general, I have liked visiting there but must say I was greatly amazed when Al Gore couldn't carry his own home state in a presidential election. That said a lot to me about the folks there.

Yup.

His local supporters are a relatively small group. They just have a lot more money than most...

I do love TN and would LOVE to live there but convincing my wife to move back just aint happening!

Isn't hockok45 floating around those parts ? I like his YouTube stuff, seems like a straight shooter and all around good old guy.

I would be honored if he came over and helped me set up a range like what he has.

Love his you tube channel, he does a excellent job with all videos

Back