• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

To "Pro" or not to "pro"

Hello all! Just joined this forum, but I recognize the admin here from the NJGF. :)

I'm fairly new to shot guns but I've been shooting several at some local events, and now it's time to purchase my own. But which one?

I'm pretty much set on the 930 (semi-auto) series. I have shot both a standard 930 and a JM-Pro. I'm not knowledgeable enough to judge if a JM-Pro is worth the extra $$$ or not (over a standard 930), so any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.

Just some general newbie questions -

1) How available are JM-Pros, currently? Judging from my search results on Gunbroker and other tools, they seem to be rather scarce and selling pretty much at MSRP. Even the 3rd party site to which Mossberg webpage points to "Buy Now" goes to a site that says, "Out of Stock."
Are they (JM-Pros) still manufactured?

2) Stock 930 (std) models, are "New Jersey legal" at 4+1 capacity (max in NJ for semi-auto is 6+1), as long as there's no pistol grip. Obviously, a JM-Pro at 8+1 and 9+1 would require a mod to reduce the mag tube to 6+1. Is that easily accomplished and not a "permanent" mod (in the event I ever move out of NJ to a friendlier state)?

3) What are the general differences between the standard 930 and the JM-Pro, other than mag capacity?

4) Just out of curiosity, is Mossberg still based in Connecticut? I was wondering if they plan to vacate, due to the extra laws/regs...

Thanks very much for any/all thoughts.

Regards,
HB

HBecwithFn7 said:
Hello all! Just joined this forum, but I recognize the admin here from the NJGF. :)

I'm fairly new to shot guns but I've been shooting several at some local events, and now it's time to purchase my own. But which one?

I'm pretty much set on the 930 (semi-auto) series. I have shot both a standard 930 and a JM-Pro. I'm not knowledgeable enough to judge if a JM-Pro is worth the extra $$$ or not (over a standard 930), so any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.

Just some general newbie questions -

1) How available are JM-Pros, currently? Judging from my search results on Gunbroker and other tools, they seem to be rather scarce and selling pretty much at MSRP. Even the 3rd party site to which Mossberg webpage points to "Buy Now" goes to a site that says, "Out of Stock."
Are they (JM-Pros) still manufactured?

Welcome aboard.

I'll be picking up a 24" JM Pro as soon as I get my tax refund. The JM Pro models are still in production, but can be extremely hard to find. Seem like last year the 24" 10-shot models were near impossible to track down, but now it looks like the 22" 9-shot is more scarce. One of my local shops has a 10-shot in at the moment and I'm praying it's still there in a week or so.

HBecwithFn7 said:
2) Stock 930 (std) models, are "New Jersey legal" at 4+1 capacity (max in NJ for semi-auto is 6+1), as long as there's no pistol grip. Obviously, a JM-Pro at 8+1 and 9+1 would require a mod to reduce the mag tube to 6+1. Is that easily accomplished and not a "permanent" mod (in the event I ever move out of NJ to a friendlier state)?

All you need to convert the JM Pro models to the lower capacity is a new magazine cap and shorter spring. Both parts can be ordered directly from Mossberg.

HBecwithFn7 said:
3) What are the general differences between the standard 930 and the JM-Pro, other than mag capacity?

JM Pro "enhanced" features listed by Mossberg include:

•Beveled loading gate and shorter forend for quicker loading times
•Oversized bolt handle and bolt release
•Dual gas system offers lighter recoil and easier cycling

I have the 18.5" 930 Tactical and it's been great. Only issues I have are with the razor sharp loading gate and ramp. My thumb gets pretty chewed up after going through a few boxes of shells. I had my hands on a JM Pro the other day and the beveled edges felt a lot better. So far it's been impossible to get my current 930 to run any bulk target loads or low recoil ammo. I'm hoping that the longer barrel along with the improvements to the gas system in the JM Pro will solve this issue.

HBecwithFn7 said:
4) Just out of curiosity, is Mossberg still based in Connecticut? I was wondering if they plan to vacate, due to the extra laws/regs...

Regards,
HB

Yes, they are still based in CT and we haven't seen any indication of an intention to move.

Good luck with your decision and with finding one if you choose. Either way, keep us posted...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Welcome aboard.

I'll be picking up a 24" JM Pro as soon as I get my tax refund. The JM Pro models are still in production, but can be extremely hard to find. Seem like last year the 24" 10-shot models were near impossible to track down, but now it looks like the 22" 9-shot is more scarce. One of my local shops has a 10-shot in at the moment and I'm praying it's still there in a week or so.

Many thanks for the quick reply! :)

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
HBecwithFn7 said:

All you need to convert the JM Pro models to the lower capacity is a new magazine cap and shorter spring. Both parts can be ordered directly from Mossberg.

Just to confirm, by "cap" do you mean the whole tube, or just the end cap? I'd probably also want a shorter tube, as well. A semi-auto, with the appearance of a longer (or standard size for a JM-Pro) tube, might draw suspicion and scrutiny of the "authorities." :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I have the 18.5" 930 Tactical and it's been great. Only issues I have are with the razor sharp loading gate and ramp. My thumb gets pretty chewed up after going through a few boxes of shells. I had my hands on a JM Pro the other day and the beveled edges felt a lot better. So far it's been impossible to get my current 930 to run any bulk target loads or low recoil ammo. I'm hoping that the longer barrel along with the improvements to the gas system in the JM Pro will solve this issue.

The beveled edges seem a worthwhile feature. My other avocation is "cave diving." Pulling on rocks against the out-flowing and manipulating bolt snaps, etc. often result in similar wear and tear on the fingerpads and thumbs.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Yes, they are still based in CT and we haven't seen any indication of an intention to move.

Good luck with your decision and with finding one if you choose. Either way, keep us posted...

Thanks much again. A lot will depend on going prices and availability, as well as ease of conversion to "NJ Legal" status. :)

HBecwithFn7 said:
Just to confirm, by "cap" do you mean the whole tube, or just the end cap? I'd probably also want a shorter tube, as well. A semi-auto, with the appearance of a longer (or standard size for a JM-Pro) tube, might draw suspicion and scrutiny of the "authorities." :D

The JM Pro uses the same basic mag tube as the 4-shot hunting models.

The added capacity is achieved with the addition of an elongated mag tube extension. You don't need to change out the tube, but only remove the extension and replace it with a standard mag tube cap. You would also need to cut down the factory spring or buy a new shorter one...

The JM also has multiple parts that are chromed. It doesn't seem to have any problems eating bulk target loads.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
HBecwithFn7 said:

The JM Pro uses the same basic mag tube as the 4-shot hunting models.

The added capacity is achieved with the addition of an elongated mag tube extension. You don't need to change out the tube, but only remove the extension and replace it with a standard mag tube cap. You would also need to cut down the factory spring or buy a new shorter one...

Fair enough. Thanks. I'll see about a new spring. But I'd have to find the right FFL for that.

OhioArcher said:
The JM also has multiple parts that are chromed. It doesn't seem to have any problems eating bulk target loads.

Just finished a detail strip, clean, and lube on my new JM Pro #85118...

After a full tear-down and inspection I can confirm that the specs unique to the JM Pro models are as follows:

•Chromed gas piston assembly, hammer, sear, and mag tube
•Nordic Comp mag tube extension
•Beveled loading gate and shorter forend
•Extended elevator
•Oversized charging handle and bolt release
•Trigger over-travel stop

It makes no sense why Mossberg doesn't list ALL of the enhanced features in their product description...

Here's a good video from Mr. Miculek himself breaking down the details on the 930 JM Pro model. There's are some pretty good scenes of the 930 in action as well...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs1vSeg0nFI#t=11[/youtube]

HBecwithFn7 said:

Regards,
HB

Well, after careful consideration, the choice I made is "not to pro" at this time. Perhaps a little bit down the road, when I move out of state.

I won an auction for a 930 "Home Security" model #85320 (4+1), which I'll be modifying to be able to shoot clays, primarily. I bought the Nordic +2 extension kit, and the Nordic components "Speed bolt." I'll also look at swapping out the barrel for a 28in. "accu choke" barrel system (item 93022). Any thoughts on that greatly appreciated.

I've seen videos on how to bevel out the loading port and fore end to make it more "JM-Pro'ish," but that can wait a bit.

I'll get back to you all when I take delivery on the unit (hopefully in the next 2 weeks, once the payment and FFL docs clear).

Any addl. thoughts appreciated. Thanks. :)

Got to shoot a Pro today with the target-converted-to-slug rounds. Ate the Federals with no problem. Did not like the Winchester Universal rounds at all...couple of FTEs, several FTFs with multiple rounds ejecting out the bottom. The 500 had one FTE (stuck in the chamber).

Some of the last is due to the much shorter length of the rounds I suspect. Unlike the Federals, the Winchesters have a single cup/wad and I believe I was crushing them with the roll crimper. The Feds are two piece and the wad under the cup is much stronger.

It was fun to run through about 60-70 slug rounds...I was the only one there due to all the snow. Makes it tough cleaning up brass and hulls when you're done, though.

Sweet!

The clean-up does get a little more tricky in the elements. I was pickin up spent hulls outta the mud today. No fun at all...

Congrats on the auction.

Lookin forward to your updates on the 930 HS...

The item has arrived! Still "in box," as I sort out the "owner's manual." Still waiting on the "Accu chokc" 28" barrel.

Two questions, though, off hand.

1) Does "pulling" the bolt handle out (to replace it with a "speed bolt") require any dissassembly of the slide mechanism, or can it just be "pulled out?" The original bolt handle just doesn't seem to want to budge. Again, this is a "home security" model (85320).

2) Are these "accu choke" barrels (Accu Choke 28" barrel - modified choke) "threaded" and, thus, permit the changing of chokes, or it is a fixed, unchangable choke?

Thanks. I'll get back to you with updates. :)

1) The charging handle can be a bit stubborn but it will pull right out. No disassembly required.

2) Models with the Accu Choke barrels are threaded. They come with a choke wrench and three removable chokes, Modified, Improved Cylinder, and Full. You can use these chokes as well as other aftermarket chokes if you'd like...

1) The charging handle can be a bit stubborn but it will pull right out. No disassembly required.

2) Models with the Accu Choke barrels are threaded. They come with a choke wrench and three removable chokes, Modified, Improved Cylinder, and Full. You can use these chokes as well as other aftermarket chokes if you'd like...

Update: Mossberg has shipped the barrel. They have indicated that it is, indeed, a threaded barrel, and although it comes with only one choke (modified), I can purchase other chokes for it. All is well! :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back