• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

To "Pro" or not to "pro"

Hmm, interesting.

Strange that a replacement barrel would only come with one. Keep us posted once it arrives...

Hmm, interesting.

Strange that a replacement barrel would only come with one. Keep us posted once it arrives...

It has arrived. It appears to not be "retail packaged" but still "factory new" and Mossberg 930™ branded.

However, the barrel appears to be *permanently choked* at the modified level. That is, it appears to be "permanently tapered" down from the 1st 1/3rd of the length to the other 2/3rds. It does *not* appear to be threaded, as earlier promised, although I do note two very small notches at the end of the barrel which, with the right tool, might be a means of removing the inner section. But it sure doesn't look like any "attachable" chokes I've seen. With this sort of "permanent tapering," I'm not sure I'd want to run 00-buckshot through it. Only birdshot.

I may have to try again with a different threaded barrel, at some point but, for now, it would seem to work for clays. I'll need to get busy installing it.

Thanks & Regards,
HB

Last edited:
The way you describe the barrel is exactly how mine looks with the removable choke installed. The Accu chokes fit completely inside the barrel and flush with the end of the muzzle. Their choke wrench fits into the notches on either side and the choke is removed by turning it left. If you don't have a choke wrench you can use a coin to fit in these notches and try to remove yours...

The way you describe the barrel is exactly how mine looks with the removable choke installed. The Accu chokes fit completely inside the barrel and flush with the end of the muzzle. Their choke wrench fits into the notches on either side and the choke is removed by turning it left. If you don't have a choke wrench you can use a coin to fit in these notches and try to remove yours...

OK, I"ll see if i can get a Mossberg approved choke wrench. The right tool for the right job.

What *other* choke series would you use for it, so that I get the correct series that fits the threading and works correctly?

Thanks much. :)

If your choke is removable and not fixed, I would think just about any choke wrench would work. The threading should be standardized to fit most aftermarket chokes as well...

If your choke is removable and not fixed, I would think just about any choke wrench would work. The threading should be standardized to fit most aftermarket chokes as well...

All mods are now complete. It looks nice! But, boy, that spring was a huge PITA. :)

Just a few questions:

1. The original mag tube has a "spring retainer" that fits very snugly and has to be pinched to get in/out. But when putting on the Nordic +2 extension tube, I find the retainer is too small to fit. I assume that, since the +2 has the fixed cap, the spring retainer is no longer necessary, right?
  2. The Nordic Speed bolt handle did snap right into place and works well. But there is a little "jiggle" play in it... just a very small bit. Is that OK?
  3. Dumb question (well, for me anyway :) ), but can you shoot 00-buck with this "modified choke" tube?
Yes, I did cut the +2 supplied spring to the recommended length (16" from the open end of the extension). I have kept the original spring and other parts in case I need them.

Can't wait to test it out. :)

Thanks & Regards,

HB

1. Correct. There is no need to replace the spring retainer after you've added the NC tube extension.

2. Yes. A little wiggle in the bolt handle is completely normal.

3. Absolutely. There are no bumb questions around here. Shooting 00 buck through your modified choke is perfectly safe and should produce effective patterns on target. Any tighter than modified though and you will likely see degredation in performance. The tighter choke tubes can cause deformation of the shot which can create irregular trajectories and inconsistent patterns on target.

1. Correct. There is no need to replace the spring retainer after you've added the NC tube extension.

2. Yes. A little wiggle in the bolt handle is completely normal.

3. Absolutely. There are no bumb questions around here. Shooting 00 buck through your modified choke is perfectly safe and should produce effective patterns on target. Any tighter than modified though and you will likely see degredation in performance. The tighter choke tubes can cause deformation of the shot which can create irregular trajectories and inconsistent patterns on target.

Thanks much. Pictures, as requested... Sorry all I had was my sofa. :)

Attachments

• PICT000_001.JPG
    PICT000_001.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT000_002.JPG
    PICT000_002.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 14
  • PICT000_003.JPG
    PICT000_003.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 14
  • PICT000_004.JPG
    PICT000_004.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 15
  • PICT000_005.JPG
    PICT000_005.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 14
Yup, it's funny how some materials that look alike to the eye reflect light differently. In one photo I took of a fully parkerized 1911 the slide looked park'd and the frame looked like it was cerakoted OD green...

Yup, it's funny how some materials that look alike to the eye reflect light differently. In one photo I took of a fully parkerized 1911 the slide looked park'd and the frame looked like it was cerakoted OD green...

Here's the latest progress report:

I took the gun out this past Saturday with my local group at a WMA range for testing. The only change I made to it after the pictures I uploaded was to add a CG&G speed loader handle (the Nordic Components handle was just too jiggly).

Well, I fired the first shell, and it wouldn't cycle. I manually cycled, fired again, manually recycled again, fired again, and it jammed. We had to take it apart. We cleared the jam, re-assemled it, and fired with just one shell. It didn't cycle properly. Some noticed that the action didn't fully return. Maybe there was a gas leak somewhere.

After about 15 minutes, the "930 expert" showed up and discovered the problem immediately. A part was missing. And sure enough, there it was on the old barrel. It kinda helps to have the "gas piston" installed (I just plain forgot to take it off the original barrel). :oops:

With the piston now installed on the new barrel, I loaded one shell and fired. SUCCESS! I then loaded three shells. 3 X SUCCESS! And then more! And then (as a test) some 00-buck. It fired just fine but, of course, I didn't hit any clays with it. :D

Back to loading #8 in it, it was great! No problems after that, it fired like a dream! I loaned it to a couple of folks in our group and now they WANT ONE! :D:D:D

I found myself a lot more accurate with it (i.e. 28" barrel, modified choke) than in previous models I've shot.

So the gun is now "broken in." And all is well. Thanks to all your help with it. :)

Nice!

We'll have to add that to our 930 problem solving routine questions. "Have you checked to make sure the shotgun has a gas piston installed?" Ha! Glad to see you're enjoying it and that it's running like a champ...

Back