• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

To sign or not to sign

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
That is the question.

There's a lot of back and forth in the media and on various forums about signage either prohibiting guns/weapons, or advertising that a place of business or your home is armed and/or has other supporting security.

My training many years ago, was that such signage of either type was not a good idea. Surprise is a significant advantage in a lethal confrontation, especially if you are playing defense. So I don't have any of those ever popular signs that say "Protected by Mossberg, S&W, etc. or that tell an intruder that any alarms, or other systems are active. I really don't understand why anyone would want to give an intruder a useful heads up and tactical advantage about such things.

well I suppose just as gun free zones encourage cowards who don't want a confrontation, "protected by Mossberg" sign would then cause those type of folks to move along and choose an easier target.

Anyone who takes information like that and uses it in a manner to give a tactical advantage is already going to be a handful and probably wont guarantee a win if they come in thinking people might not be armed. People with that thought process are already going to be approaching as if it is the worst case senerio......so my opinion an the matter.
Either way they have the element of surprise, just because one doesn't have a sticker saying "I have a gun" doesn't automatically give the upper hand in the surprise category, that's most likely always going to be in the intruders favor.

My big thought on such signage is advertisement that there is "something worth stealing in there" like a gun.

well I suppose just as gun free zones encourage cowards who don't want a confrontation, "protected by Mossberg" sign would then cause those type of folks to move along and choose an easier target.

Anyone who takes information like that and uses it in a manner to give a tactical advantage is already going to be a handful and probably wont guarantee a win if they come in thinking people might not be armed. People with that thought process are already going to be approaching as if it is the worst case senerio......so my opinion an the matter.
Either way they have the element of surprise, just because one doesn't have a sticker saying "I have a gun" doesn't automatically give the upper hand in the surprise category, that's most likely always going to be in the intruders favor.

My big thought on such signage is advertisement that there is "something worth stealing in there" like a gun.

Valid points. But do you wear a "I am armed" sign when you are carrying concealed, in order to deter a bad guy? Same thing.

The issue really goes to defense in depth. Either in the home/business or walking the street. In the later case it means situational awareness, avoiding potential ambush sites, etc. In the former it means having some tech to provide warning and/or barriers to entry, etc. .

Valid points. But do you wear a "I am armed" sign when you are carrying concealed, in order to deter a bad guy? Same thing.

I don't think it's the same thing. Similar I suppose. But i think making observations about the contents and status of a structure based on a sign is different than reading the words on an alert and active person's shirt. I'm not sold on the merits of either but I think they're inherently different. Plus, the sign on an empty or sleeping house may or may not serve a purpose depending on the mental state of the person reading it. The shirt would just be absurd.

I love my firearms and my right to own/carry, but I don't advertise either.

To me a "Got SIG?" bumper sticker is as good as a "mommy. daddy, and three kids in soccer" window sticker to a child predator. It's an invitation and a relinquishment of anonymity. Restaurants don't offer menus that simple...

I love my firearms and my right to own/carry, but I don't advertise either.

To me a "Got SIG?" bumper sticker is as good as a "mommy. daddy, and three kids in soccer" window sticker to a child predator. It's an invitation and a relinquishment of anonymity. Restaurants don't offer menus that simple...

That's exactly what I was talking about re: signs. But we all advertise to some degree, intentionally or unintentionally. NRA ball caps, t-shirts with various slogans, certain styles of clothing, etc. Those are all signs that you might be armed - or not. I have a USMC emblem on the back window of my truck and both vehicles carry USMC personalized plates which are clues also. All I'm saying is that we all leave hints (obvious and subtle) - signs - that we're often not even aware of.

Part of situational awareness and defense in depth, is knowing yourself and what signs you reveal to others. This knowledge can also be used to your advantage in a camouflage/deceptive sense. Wolf in sheeps clothing sort of thing. :)

I post signs on my doors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BRAD5CW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're small, subtle. My intent isn't to stop a bad guy at the door. It is to stop the installation guy or delivery guy or whoever it is who cases my house out for a B&E. If they're at my door ready to break in, that sign won't stop them.

Besides which, I use other methods too, such as loud dogs, locked doors and windows, and a garage so people don't know if I'm home or not.

There are merits to posting or not. It's personal preference really.

I don't post any signage, nor advertise what I keep inside. But an attuned neighbor will have a good idea whats in the safe by the sounds of the occasional afternoon gunfire. And the mail and Ups delivery have a pretty good idea where most of my packages come from. Wether thats beneficial or detrimental to my well being, I cant say. But I do what i can to protect myself and my possessions.

If you can find some burglar alarm signs and put near all entrances it may help even if you don't have an alarm,

I don't post signs on my home but I occasionally wear shirts and caps that indicate I likely own guns. I don't advertise it blatantly not do I go out of my way to hide it.

I don't post signs on my home but I occasionally wear shirts and caps that indicate I likely own guns. I don't advertise it blatantly not do I go out of my way to hide it.

What about some less "obvious" form of advertisement? Such as a III percenter's or DOTM flag?

Actually, thinking about... most thugs who are determined to break into your home probably wouldn't notice your pro 2A flags/signs as they're kicking in your door...

Back